1. I'm no expert but from what I gathered is that (depending on where the geographic spread starts and how soon you start measures) typically around 80% of (guessed) actual infected have very minor symptoms.

2 weeks ago I felt weirdly tired for 2 days and felt like my breathing was a little different. So I might have had it or it was stress, which can cause... tiredness and (mild)hyperventilation. Since I had the latter many times the last years I didn't pay any attention to it.

So while that all sounds optimistic, a (way) larger group than with regular Flu (I read about 10%) wil get seriously ill. The Dutch must be pretty much immune to everything I suppose, but as of today half of our national IC-capacity is taken by people with Corona.

So while deadliness will be determined when this is over, it is very apparent that a small but significant part (5-10% I read) of people infected will become seriously ill. This includes 20-30-40 somethings that are in the hospital for 2 weeks and describe it as hell.

The actual death numbers aren't the alarming factor (as of today) In the heavy Flu season of '18 25.000 excess deaths in Italy were attributed to that Flu.

People don't seem to understand that if you don't take measures 60-80% will get the virus within a month. And let's say the "very ill" numbers would still apply that means you have to have a hospital bed ready (and healthcare) for 5% of the population. As an example (and to no one in personal) this would add up to roughly 7 Million in the US for example whereas (just checked) it has a grand total of 924,107 hospital beds. So that's 1 taken care of out of 7..

2. I'm sorry man, but The Federalist is a hyperpartisan right wing website with no more credibility than Infowars or Gateway Pundit. These are the kind of "stories" they push:

Going back to the original issue, this is some serious f-up psychopath stuff. Letting 1-2% of the population to die as if it was nothing only to bump up stocks for corporations. Yesterday the Lt. Governor of Texas, plainly said
    "My message is that, let's get back to work, let's get back to living, let's be smart about it, and those of us who are 70 plus, we will take care of ourselves but don't sacrifice the country."
    What kind of crap is that? All of this is been said while hospitals don't have masks or equipment to treat the ill, nurses in NYC are using trash bags as aprons, people don't have paid sick leave and an economic stimulus is been blocked by politicians that want to write blank checks for big corporations while still allowing them to fire employees.
    It's a dystopian nightmare.
  3. Yes, they are healing. My mate had nothing but strong fever and cough, but my grandma was in severe risk for some days as she was having serious breathing problems and her blood oxygen saturation (I hope that's the right term in English) was falling below 85% which is rather incompatible with life. Luckily our PUBLIC healthcare system is excellent and she's out of danger as of tonight.
  4. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    I'm sorry man, but The Federalist is a hyperpartisan right wing website with no more credibility than Infowars or Gateway Pundit. These are the kind of "stories" they push:

[image]

[image]

[image]

Going back to the original issue, this is some serious f-up psychopath stuff. Letting 1-2% of the population to die as if it was nothing only to bump up stocks for corporations. Yesterday the Lt. Governor of Texas, plainly said
    "My message is that, let's get back to work, let's get back to living, let's be smart about it, and those of us who are 70 plus, we will take care of ourselves but don't sacrifice the country."
    What kind of crap is that? All of this is been said while hospitals don't have masks or equipment to treat the ill, nurses in NYC are using trash bags as aprons, people don't have paid sick leave and an economic stimulus is been blocked by politicians that want to write blank checks for big corporations while still allowing them to fire employees.
    It's a dystopian nightmare.
    Where are you getting your news source from? For the stimulus package stuff that is
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yes, they are healing. My mate had nothing but strong fever and cough, but my grandma was in severe risk for some days as she was having serious breathing problems and her blood oxygen saturation (I hope that's the right term in English) was falling below 85% which is rather incompatible with life. Luckily our PUBLIC healthcare system is excellent and she's out of danger as of tonight.
    Glad to hear that!
  6. The thing is also, even if everybody in the US would agree with letting loose, the Healthsystem/Funeral business would have no way to deal with that. Let's see how the popular vote goes when bodies are stacked up and can't be buried..

Not saying this will happen, and the US seems to take good measures on a state level but if money/power wins this battle that's what will happen..
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yes, they are healing. My mate had nothing but strong fever and cough, but my grandma was in severe risk for some days as she was having serious breathing problems and her blood oxygen saturation (I hope that's the right term in English) was falling below 85% which is rather incompatible with life. Luckily our PUBLIC healthcare system is excellent and she's out of danger as of tonight.
    Ah, that's good to hear. Didn't know you had 2 people near you with the virus. That changes perspective more rapidly than anything I guess..
  8. Recently Senate Republicans blocked paid sick leave (the link is from HuffPost, but it was everywhere on the news: CNN, MSNBC, WashPost, you name it). Then Senate Republicans put a stimulus bill that only offered even more tax cuts for the rich, helping corporations and allowing them to fire employees without compensations or paid sick leave. They wanted to put 500 billion dollars on a slush fund so their corporate buddies get the money no questions asked. The money could have also ended in Trump's properties, as he didn't contradict that possibility.
  9. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    Recently Senate Republicans blocked paid sick leave (the link is from HuffPost, but it was everywhere on the news: CNN, MSNBC, WashPost, you name it). Then Senate Republicans put a stimulus bill that only offered even more tax cuts for the rich, helping corporations and allowing them to fire employees without compensations or paid sick leave. They wanted to put 500 billion dollars on a slush fund so their corporate buddies get the money no questions asked. The money could have also ended in Trump's properties, as he didn't contradict that possibility.
    So the federalist is a bad source but Huffington, CNN, MSNBC and the Washington Post are credible?

You basically chose three extremely left wing media outlets... I don’t know too much about Huffington post but I would imagine they are left as well?
  10. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    Recently Senate Republicans blocked paid sick leave (the link is from HuffPost, but it was everywhere on the news: CNN, MSNBC, WashPost, you name it). Then Senate Republicans put a stimulus bill that only offered even more tax cuts for the rich, helping corporations and allowing them to fire employees without compensations or paid sick leave. They wanted to put 500 billion dollars on a slush fund so their corporate buddies get the money no questions asked. The money could have also ended in Trump's properties, as he didn't contradict that possibility.
    The dystopian nightmare is about to come true for me... I basically have a month to find a new career at 51 years old in a time when likely millions of others will be doing the same... I'm still trying to remain hopeful, but the impending thought of what's to come is beginning to keep me up at night.

I pray for us all. Hang in there sisters... brothers. We GET to carry each other. We HAVE to.