1. Originally posted by Fly40:Tonight my father in law has passed away because of this fucking virus.he was 75
    Please stay home and act responsibly
    Only this way we can fight it
    Please

I'm really sorry Marco. Sending thoughts and prayers to your family from Canada.
  2. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:Also, look at these charts. For the best materials for a homemade DIY mask, a study tested effectiveness against 0.02 micron particles (5 times smaller than COVID-19):

[image]

So the first chart suggests that vacuum cleaner bags or dish towels may be the best materials for a homemade masks, however, when you factor in breathability:

[image]

These charts can be found in this study

The conclusion they arrived to was that the best materials for a homemade mask are 100% cotton shirts (double layered) or a pillowcase. They filter more than 50% of 0.02-micron particles and they are breathable enough you can wear it for hours.
    omg I'm now imagining people walking on the streets wearing vacuum cleaner bags in their faces and it's 30% hilarious, 70% bizarre.

On a serious note: very insteresting charts, thanks!
  3. Thanks a lot for your support
    Act responsibly.every day.
  4. Originally posted by Fly40:Tonight my father in law has passed away because of this fucking virus.he was 75
    Please

I'm so sorry my friend, take care.
  5. Thanks for the charts and video @cesar_garza01. Tennessee finally issued a stay at home order, but I am still considered an essential worker (for now), so I'll be working all weekend. I need to give that t-shirt mask a shot.
  6. A city bus driver who complained recently in an online video that a passenger had openly coughed on his bus amid the coronavirus pandemic has died from the respiratory illness.

Jason Hargrove, 50, died Wednesday of COVID-19, according to the head of the city's bus driver union, Glenn Tolbert, on Thursday.
  7. Absolutely disgraceful. RIP Jason, I've been on those Detroit City buses and I'll bet your ride was plenty of fun.
  8. Disgraceful indeed. It’s stuff like this that makes you lose faith in humanity. I had it in my work 1 day before the lock down a woman coughing away saying don’t worry I’ve not got the virus, yeah as if she’d been tested. I also had a woman in her 70’s licking her finger then touching her bank note before handing it to me. I was relieved when we into lockdown because some people just aren’t clever enough they needed it to help those of us with a bit of common sense.
  9. Originally posted by Fly40:Tonight my father in law has passed away because of this fucking virus.he was 75
    Please
    you have my condolences, much love your way @Fly40
  10. Originally posted by thefly108:Thanks for the charts and video @cesar_garza01. Tennessee finally issued a stay at home order, but I am still considered an essential worker (for now), so I'll be working all weekend. I need to give that t-shirt mask a shot.
    Where do you work Dane?
    I used my mask today and it felt very comfortable, it never slipped and stayed in its place the whole time. I chose that design for its simplicity and I guess it's as good as any other homemade mask. Supposedly cotton masks improve particle retention after a few hours of use. There are other alternatives too, involving sewing or glue guns, but I can't sew and I don't have the latter.

There are some videos out there of people using HEPA filters to create masks. I'm not sure about that, as this doctor warns of possible damage to the lungs with these filters.
  11. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    Where do you work Dane?
    I used my mask today and it felt very comfortable, it never slipped and stayed in its place the whole time. I chose that design for its simplicity and I guess it's as good as any other homemade mask. Supposedly cotton masks improve particle retention after a few hours of use. There are other alternatives too, involving sewing or glue guns, but I can't sew and I don't have the latter.

There are some videos out there of people using HEPA filters to create masks. I'm not sure about that, as this doctor warns of possible damage to the lungs with these filters.
    What do you think of these 4 filters Cesar?