1. I came across this interesting piece of memorabilia today. A poster for a CND concert at Worthy Farm, Glastonbury in 1982 with various other artists. Van Morris was headlining.
    Does anyone know if the band actually played as I cannot find any reference to this in their gig history.
  2. From Glasto's official website: https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/history/history-1982/

This year was a muddy year with lots of bad weather. In fact, the highest rainfall for a single day in 45 years was recorded on the Friday but it was also the year of the first laser show backed by Tubeway Army’s “Are friends electric?”.

Acts included: Van Morrison, Judie Tzuke, Jackson Browne, Roy Harper, Richie Havens. (U2 were on the poster, but didn’t play.)

Attendance: 25,000. Tickets: £8.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:From Glasto's official website: https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/history/history-1982/

This year was a muddy year with lots of bad weather. In fact, the highest rainfall for a single day in 45 years was recorded on the Friday but it was also the year of the first laser show backed by Tubeway Army’s “Are friends electric?”.

Acts included: Van Morrison, Judie Tzuke, Jackson Browne, Roy Harper, Richie Havens. (U2 were on the poster, but didn’t play.)

Attendance: 25,000. Tickets: £8.
    Thanks man
  4. Originally posted by russpm:[image]
    I came across this interesting piece of memorabilia today. A poster for a CND concert at Worthy Farm, Glastonbury in 1982 with various other artists. Van Morris was headlining.
    Does anyone know if the band actually played as I cannot find any reference to this in their gig history.
    They didn't play.

Michael Eavis who runs and organizes Glastonbury discussed how they ended up on the poster in his book "Glastonbury 50: The Official Story of Glastonbury Festival"

"I'd been trying to get them [U2] to perform since I prematurely put them on the poster in 1982, when I was misled by the doorman at the Portobello Hotel who said he knew them really well and could book them, which, of course, turned out to be wishful thinking."

After the posters were printed and ads were run, McGuinness wrote a letter to one of the music mags (I can't remember which one I have it here somewhere...may have been NME) stating that they hadn't been contacted and would not be performing at all.
  5. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    They didn't play.

Michael Eavis who runs and organizes Glastonbury discussed how they ended up on the poster in his book "Glastonbury 50: The Official Story of Glastonbury Festival"

"I'd been trying to get them [U2] to perform since I prematurely put them on the poster in 1982, when I was misled by the doorman at the Portobello Hotel who said he knew them really well and could book them, which, of course, turned out to be wishful thinking."

After the posters were printed and ads were run, McGuinness wrote a letter to one of the music mags (I can't remember which one I have it here somewhere...may have been NME) stating that they hadn't been contacted and would not be performing at all.
    Haha that's hilarious. I wonder if McG was taking the piss about the Portobello Hotel doorman, it just sounds too absurd!
  6. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    They didn't play.

Brilliant story and weird they didn’t play Glastonbury until 2011.
    I still don’t understand the bad reviews they got for that gig.
    Not their greatest but I thought it was good despite the awful weather.
  7. Originally posted by russpm:[..]
    Brilliant story and weird they didn’t play Glastonbury until 2011.
    I still don’t understand the bad reviews they got for that gig.
    Not their greatest but I thought it was good despite the awful weather.
    Its one of my favourite U2 shows