1. Well, how about that? I was thinking just the same. Whit the sky down verion in mind.

Thanks for your fast reply. I got chickenskin when i heart it at once.Never noticed it before earlier too.
  2. Originally posted by iTim:

Reminds me of the acoustic version from From The Sky Down. I'm no genius with music arrangment, so I'm sure someone might offer a more technical insight. But definitely, Rowena's Theme sounds like the little sister of Love Is Blindness.

Both songs employ a technique known as inverted pedal. Edge basically plays a partial chord/arpeggio on some of the lower strings, with higher open string ringing through at certain points in the medody. By ringing these offer a moving harmony to the chords.

If you start playing around with open strings you immediately end up with progressions like these, another well known example is Welcome Home Sanatarium by Metallica. Dimebag Darrell (Pantera) used it a lot too. Hetfield/Hammett either use it because Kirk is a huge Hendrix fan or because of Hetfield's country roots, while Dimebag was an Eddie van Halen afficionado. EvH in turn used it because of Clapton, who used open strings to sound faster, a well known trick from the blues, check out Robert Johnson to hear where Jimi and Eric got their ideas from. Jimmy Page also picked it up from Johnson and that probably how it came to Edge, who studied Led Zep as a teen.

The blues also lent this technique to Jazz, where it is very common:
    http://guitarsnippets.blogspot.nl/2007/05/inverted-pedal-point.html
  3. Originally posted by eviltwin:[..]

Both songs employ a technique known as inverted pedal. Edge basically plays a partial chord/arpeggio on some of the lower strings, with higher open string ringing through at certain points in the medody. By ringing these offer a moving harmony to the chords.

If you start playing around with open strings you immediately end up with progressions like these, another well known example is Welcome Home Sanatarium by Metallica. Dimebag Darrell (Pantera) used it a lot too. Hetfield/Hammett either use it because Kirk is a huge Hendrix fan or because of Hetfield's country roots, while Dimebag was an Eddie van Halen afficionado. EvH in turn used it because of Clapton, who used open strings to sound faster, a well known trick from the blues, check out Robert Johnson to hear where Jimi and Eric got their ideas from. Jimmy Page also picked it up from Johnson and that probably how it came to Edge, who studied Led Zep as a teen.

The blues also lent this technique to Jazz, where it is very common:
    http://guitarsnippets.blogspot.nl/2007/05/inverted-pedal-point.html

Thanks for that eviltwin, I can hear what you describe in both songs
  4. Rowena's Theme

5. Still sounds incredible after all this years.

And impressive explanation (3 years ago), eviltwin. Thanks

The similarity with Love Is Blindness is striking once you realize it. The guitar melody is similar, a descending riff in the key of B minor (B flat minor actually, but Edge tunes in E flat, so what he plays is Bm), and the 3/4 composed time only adds to the ressemblance.
  6. Just ordered on amazon, surprised I haven't thought to get this earlier
  7. I always loved that record, bought it in the late 1980s via mailorder. Haven't heard Rowena's Theme for ages, though, until a few minutes ago. Same key as love is blindness, isn't it?
    I only have it on vinyl, has there ever been a CD version?
  8. I have it on CD only
  9. Intetsting. Just found out that it's officially available for download in mp3, that will Do for now
  10. Rowena’s Theme is worth it alone. Still love that track.