1. btw, Bono was also doing the America snippet during rehearsals in Auckland, so for sure we can exclude the mistake thing
  2. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    In God's Country is about America. And Bono can snippet whatever he wants. It's so weird that fans are confused because Bono is not doing the snippet they expect. It's even more than weird.

Bono is obsessed with America. America is an idea, etc. Does he want to be an American or what? It's grating outside of the US, in my opinion.

Bono also rehearsed a different Crowded House snippet in Auckland before the tour started. Different from Auckland 2.
  3. It’s weird that Bono is obsessed with America. It’s even more than weird.
  4. I think you need to bear in mind the generation where he came from; which he talks to in the Boston DVD. As a child of the 60s, watching America sending people into space and landing them on the moon; they were a nation to be admired. From the outside, America looked wealthy, industrially developed and something to aspire to based on the image Hollywood presented. Dig beneath the artifice however and there was a lot wrong with the country too - inequality, poverty and racism, and political divisions over Vietnam. Then you had the physical differences of massive cosmopolitan cities and rural backwaters. It was and is a land of contrasts that can be fascinating to outsiders - hence why TJT was almost called the two Americas.

Yes, maybe there are other nations that are similarly interesting and equally perplexing but both then and now, his obsession with America is entirely understandable to me; a child also of the 60s.
  5. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:[..]

Bono is obsessed with America. America is an idea, etc. Does he want to be an American or what? It's grating outside of the US, in my opinion.

Bono also rehearsed a different Crowded House snippet in Auckland before the tour started. Different from Auckland 2.
    The Don’t Dream Its Over snippet was amazing during rehearsals, such a pity it never got further.

6. We were right behind Larry for London 1, which was great as long as you get past the drums being half a second ahead of everything else xD
  7. I was in a similar spot for Auckland 1 and was awed by the fact that I was so close that I could actually hear Larry hitting his kit before it came through the speaker. I can see how it can be disconcerting for some but for me it just rammed home how lucky I was to be so close.
  8. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:I was in a similar spot for Auckland 1 and was awed by the fact that I was so close that I could actually hear Larry hitting his kit before it came through the speaker. I can see how it can be disconcerting for some but for me it just rammed home how lucky I was to be so close.
    Had a similar experience at e+I where I could hear the acoustic sound of the drum kit through the screen as The Blackout opened. You know you have it good then.
  9. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:I think you need to bear in mind the generation where he came from; which he talks to in the Boston DVD. As a child of the 60s, watching America sending people into space and landing them on the moon; they were a nation to be admired. From the outside, America looked wealthy, industrially developed and something to aspire to based on the image Hollywood presented. Dig beneath the artifice however and there was a lot wrong with the country too - inequality, poverty and racism, and political divisions over Vietnam. Then you had the physical differences of massive cosmopolitan cities and rural backwaters. It was and is a land of contrasts that can be fascinating to outsiders - hence why TJT was almost called the two Americas.

Yes, maybe there are other nations that are similarly interesting and equally perplexing but both then and now, his obsession with America is entirely understandable to me; a child also of the 60s.
    well said. And for sure he didn't forget about Africa or Zooropa.
  10. I felt it was off at Croke. Didn't fit.
  11. Are you talking about the snippet of the country?