1. I think the biggest problem with the band releasing old gigs is the copyright issues with song snippets

2 problems regularly occur 1:U2's management won't pay the extra royalties costs and 2: they can't get permission to

and we all know how much Bono loves a snippet
  2. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:I think the biggest problem with the band releasing old gigs is the copyright issues with song snippets

2 problems regularly occur 1:U2's management won't pay the extra royalties costs and 2: they can't get permission to

I don’t think that’s really a big problem. Firstly they can edit out snippets, the Crystal ballroom on the fanclub set had Miss You from the Rolling Stones snippeted and they edited it. The other option is removing the songs with snippets in them and releasing gigs that don’t have a lot of snippets or that don’t cause any major problems royalties wise. Most of the Setlist doesn’t feature snippets of other artists but it depends on the show and tour obviously.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I wouldn't exchange Bono's vocals in 2019 for his 1997 standard, but I do agree that the (few) good nights he had in 97 and 98 were better than the 2012-2020 average.

That being said, Pop is still an incredible album and Popmart is still a fantastic production & show concept. It's just that the band weren't up to par with them, sadly.

the good nights his voice was still (a lot) better than anything after 2009. There are even a few songs from Sarajevo where his voice sounds better than anything in the past years.. of course the hoarse voice was quite annoying at some points during the tour, but he still really could sing and still had that beautiful tone in his voice. He just couldn't use it at full power anymore, like on Zoo TV. These days he's becoming more and more of a speaker instead of a singer. I think if you compare 2006 One Tree Hill to 2019 One Tree Hill it becomes quite obvious. Not going to use the word crap as I think it's still pretty good, but it has changed quite a lot.
    And Pop, yeah, it's a great album, but actually that album is the reason stadiums were not easy to fill, not Bono's voice.
  4. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:I think the biggest problem with the band releasing old gigs is the copyright issues with song snippets

Springsteen does covers all the time and hasn't been an issue at all with his live releases. I don't think that's a true barrier.
  5. On the 360 DVD they did a snippet of over 10 songs and credited the songwriters.
  6. I hear what you are all saying but hasn't the band omitted songs before from official released due to copyright issues?

And - I don't know this - but are there issues regarding the venue and the rights of the owner/renter of that venue?

It's interesting the The Boss hasn't ran into trouble for including covers so maybe there is hope
  7. Originally posted by hoserama:[..]
    Springsteen does covers all the time and hasn't been an issue at all with his live releases. I don't think that's a true barrier.
    Its not , ur right !!
  8. Watched a bit of Sao Paulo yesterday. Bono's voice is quite bad in terms of hoarseness , maybe the worst after Sarajevo, but still I think it's one of the best shows they ever did. It's much better than Mexico City, where Bono's voice wasn't perfect as well, but somehow Sao Paulo is so much more enjoyable. Mexico City is a bit like the 360 Rosebowl of PopMart.
    Going to listen and watch a few more PopMart shows in the next days/weeks, just to fresh up my memory a bit.
  9. Popmart Mexico is a much better representation of everything that is great about Popmart than Rosebowl is regarding 360...
  10. Originally posted by Papo:Popmart Mexico is a much better representation of everything that is great about Popmart than Rosebowl is regarding 360...
    Visually maybe, but that's just because PopMart was much easier to 'catch' than 360. The stage was one big screen. 360 had a very big stage, but a relatively small videowall. But in terms of performance both concerts are a bit below par. That Sao Paulo show, despite some vocal problems, still felt like a rollercoaster, maybe more a U2 show than a PopMart show, the stage was just a nice background drop. It's easy to forget, but despite all the problems and a false start PopMart had quite a few of those rollercoaster shows. I don't think Mexico was one of them, although it has some really good moments.
  11. They have little appetite. That's all.