1. Hey folks.

Before yesterday it had been a long time since I'd posted/even visited here. It's not to say I get bored of U2Start, only that like with anything else, other things get in the way, other things require focus and attention, etc.

However, unlike many other things in my life, this site (and those that still frequent it) is something I still return to, without fail - no matter how long the gaps are in between. I don't think there's any other website I visit these days that wouldn't be considered "social media", so this is almost an artifact of a previous era for me.

Thinking about this has inspired me to create this thread. It's possible this has been done before, and if so - link me - and I apologise!

Basically, I'd love to hear from all of you "pen pals", all of you people who have been a part of my life (however big or small) for the last THIRTEEN (MOTHER OF GOD) years, and how much of a difference (or not) in your life there's been since you joined U2start, to now.

_ _ _

I joined this site when I was 16 or 17 (profile says 13 years ago but not the exact date), and I'm turning 30 this year. I joined it when I was a teenaged, budding U2 fan hungry for bootlegs, and while I did find the greatest mother f*ing collection of U2 bootlegs planet Earth has ever seen - I also found one of the coolest online communities as well.

I would've been about halfway through high school, still dating someone I thought was "the one" at the time - as we all do in high school (I got married two years ago to my girlfriend of 10 years, together for 12 this year ), and still questioning my place in the universe. In many ways I'm the same dude, but I'm also a lot more sure of myself. I live in a house I own with my wife, have a small dog (no plans for kids, we see tons of travel in our future once this garbage pandemic has been kicked to the curb ) have a career that I never really saw coming (ended up working for the University I studied at, advising new students) - and while I don't listen to U2 NEARLY as much as I did back then, they still hold an incredibly special place in my heart - as does U2Start.

Those who frequented the Guitar Q&A thread might be happy to know (though I don't presume to think anyone would care ) that my Edge-wannabe, hobbyist guitar playing ended up turning into a full-blown passion - I now have a pretty substantial studio in my basement where I write and record songs for fun (the dream of being a rock star or being part of a U2-equivalent band have long since been forgotten haha - but I made peace with that a long time ago!)

_ _ _

But ENOUGH about me, I want to hear from you guys - because I think it's so rare for something like this to occur, particularly on the internet - which is such a transient, throwaway place for the most part. Where were you when you joined? Where are you now? What's occurred in those lives but has still allowed space for U2Start to be a constant part of?

You guys are the best
  2. Hey Alex Nice to see you back and in the mood for a reflective post like this. Has it really been that long though? It sure didn't feel like it, I thought we exchanged some posts around Xmas? Not sure though, could have been way before - time flies! Anyway it's always SO good to have you back

I obviously know and mirror what you mean about this site being like some kind of leitmotiv of our lives, a constant through the years... Almost like a second home of sorts. I joined in November 2006 when I was 16 years old so next year I will celebrate that I've been in U2start for literally half of my life. That's something! This site has seen us parting with friends, getting to know new friends, fleing the nest, burying loved ones, falling sick, breaking up, getting married... And it's always been there. Like a shelter. In my case interacting with people from all over the globe has allowed me to improve my English skills way more than I could have imagined, and I've learned more things than I can even think of from many of you. Thanks to this site I can visit Belfast, Amsterdam, Dortmund or Chicago without a worry because I know there'll be a friend there in case I need it. That's powerful.

I'm so glad you got your own studio, I'm quite jealous to read that! Please remember we have our Songs You've Written thread and it would be great if you dropped by and shared some of your stuff there.

Big hugs Alex!!

PS. You joined on 2007-05-12
  3. Welcome back!
    Cheers!
  4. Hey you! I remember you. Welcome back, Alex! Always good to see an old face pop in. Congratulations on the marriage!

I can only echo what Sergio says. U2start is more than just U2 chat, or downloading bootlegs, it’s the people too. I joined in 2008, after about 6 months of lurking. Never did I think I’d not only see the band so many times in the years that followed, that I would still even be here 13 years on, but I’d also meet so many fans from site. U2 fans and the meet-ups take a gig and turn it into something even more memorable. While U2 themselves have faded into the background a little bit for me, U2start remains a constant in life.

And as Sergio says, it doesn’t matter where you go, you can always guarantee that there will be a fan there who would happily meet up for a pint.
  5. Alex from Ottawa. Welcome back. I remember you from the U2Sound-forum days. I'm glad to hear you are still playing. Hopefully you are finding your individual voice on guitar as Edge has instructed us all to do. I don't think he wants us to copy him (but I could be wrong!)
  6. A very familiar username. Great to see it back on the forums. Welcome back to the mad house.
  7. Originally posted by iTim:U2 fans and the meet-ups take a gig and turn it into something even more memorable. While U2 themselves have faded into the background a little bit for me, U2start remains a constant in life.
    Yes, that's really remarkable. I think most of all have started -or kept- listening to other bands more than U2 but their gigs (and the pre and post) are a celebration and coming to U2start is almost like a daily routine - kinda "regardless" of the music.
  8. Okay I really didn't mean to post this and then ghost everyone haha - life gets in the way!

Originally posted by LikeASong:Hey Alex Nice to see you back and in the mood for a reflective post like this. Has it really been that long though? It sure didn't feel like it, I thought we exchanged some posts around Xmas? Not sure though, could have been way before - time flies! Anyway it's always SO good to have you back

I obviously know and mirror what you mean about this site being like some kind of leitmotiv of our lives, a constant through the years... Almost like a second home of sorts. I joined in November 2006 when I was 16 years old so next year I will celebrate that I've been in U2start for literally half of my life. That's something! This site has seen us parting with friends, getting to know new friends, fleing the nest, burying loved ones, falling sick, breaking up, getting married... And it's always been there. Like a shelter. In my case interacting with people from all over the globe has allowed me to improve my English skills way more than I could have imagined, and I've learned more things than I can even think of from many of you. Thanks to this site I can visit Belfast, Amsterdam, Dortmund or Chicago without a worry because I know there'll be a friend there in case I need it. That's powerful.

I'm so glad you got your own studio, I'm quite jealous to read that! Please remember we have our Songs You've Written thread and it would be great if you dropped by and shared some of your stuff there.

Big hugs Alex!!

PS. You joined on 2007-05-12

You're probably right about me being around at Christmas - I do come back here and there for short stints, but yeah - I suppose time just feels incredibly odd right now. Sometimes things feel like they happened yesterday, others - not so much.

So well put about everything - perhaps one day when U2 goes on tour again you'll be able to add Canada to that list

Haha, maybe calling it a studio is a little generous, but I'm proud of it!

And thanks - damn...so I was 15 when I joined...wild. Count me in as a member of the "half of my life" club!

And we really have to get the ball rolling on that New Years Eve DVD one of these days!

Originally posted by iTim:Hey you! I remember you. Welcome back, Alex! Always good to see an old face pop in. Congratulations on the marriage!

I can only echo what Sergio says. U2start is more than just U2 chat, or downloading bootlegs, it’s the people too. I joined in 2008, after about 6 months of lurking. Never did I think I’d not only see the band so many times in the years that followed, that I would still even be here 13 years on, but I’d also meet so many fans from site. U2 fans and the meet-ups take a gig and turn it into something even more memorable. While U2 themselves have faded into the background a little bit for me, U2start remains a constant in life.

And as Sergio says, it doesn’t matter where you go, you can always guarantee that there will be a fan there who would happily meet up for a pint.

Definitely man, and thanks so much! As said to Sergio, perhaps one day I'll be able to attend one of those meet-ups across the pond. It's time!

Originally posted by miryclay:Alex from Ottawa. Welcome back. I remember you from the U2Sound-forum days. I'm glad to hear you are still playing. Hopefully you are finding your individual voice on guitar as Edge has instructed us all to do. I don't think he wants us to copy him (but I could be wrong!)

Yeeeeeeeesssssssss! Man, I remember the day I went to go visit the sound-forum and it was no longer there That was another place I spent a ton of time in my teens, obsessing about Edge's tone as we all did. I wonder where all those other guys are now, Punx, Mick, Thijst, etc.

And definitely - I don't even own a delay or any gripped-picks anymore

Thanks, man. We've had our fair share of agreements - one that comes to mind is the version of Still Haven't Found from Rotterdam '93.

9. I didn't wanna mention it, I left it to you Maybe for the 35th anniversary of the show in 2024 lol!
  10. Haha I’ll be there