1. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]
    there was the music press before the internet so there was quite a lot written about it and the band - and also there were the tv specials
    Right and fair, I moreso mean there was not a constant discussion over how the band was evolving and how their specific tour rehearsals, or night-to-night setlist changes, are picked over as much as they are now.

You might've caught a glimpse of it but nothing like we experience now
  2. Originally posted by MattG:[..]
    Right and fair, I moreso mean there was not a constant discussion over how the band was evolving and how their specific tour rehearsals, or night-to-night setlist changes, are picked over as much as they are now.

You might've caught a glimpse of it but nothing like we experience now
    yes we are definitely spoiled today

there was something magical about finding a bootleg or an article in the press about your favourite band - things were literally more tangible

today we don't need the physical any longer and we have everything in front of us - that in itself is also magical but in a different way

i guess now the thrill of the chase is awaiting releases not from the band but from closed trading circles

i was once a member of a closed trading circle - i got access to it by having a couple of rarities myself bought at record fairs but i was still only in the outer circle and i never got to get into the heart of the 'club' - and the things i saw written in member's trading lists was unbelievable even though some have resurfaced and are on sites like this but in nth generation (an early one was the adelaide one in this thread, another was the pride faces version that's easily available now and the nowadays very common rattle and hum outtakes - all 3 only available in vhs form - and the hansa recordings available on vinyl, again everyone has them now)

the 'club' faded as members lives took over and, like with forums, people come and go

i never got to trade for the good stuff because i only had a couple of things and had already played my best hand, but high up members claimed to have mixing desk or soundboard recordings of most of the shows because of u2's own crew members basically plugging in, but whether that was bluff and bluster i'll never know until those recordings do surface i guess

3. totally agree with that .
    But it's what we call nostalgy
    I loved to find bootlegs in some little underground shops .
    And because I had only 1 CD to listen to, I spent lots of time to analyse and love it .
    But if internet killed that, I can't forget how excited I was around 2000 to find bootlegs on mp3 on napster and to burn them on a cd, and to have a new show after 2 hours of download directly from my home . It was amazingly exciting too .
    Same things when I changed my internet provider for DSL to follow "South Bend" streaming live !!! And how exciting it was to find amateur videos from elevation tour on download groups .
    About the spoiling about setlists now it's the worst thing we have . I tried not to know anything about 2018 tour .I really tried . But I should have banned all my facebook U2 fans friends ... because of them the only real surprise "Acrobat" was not a surprise anymore after 2 weeks ....
  4. Originally posted by brady:[..]
    Hi there.
    Thansk for the youtube video.
    Which show is this? Thought it was Christchurch.
    And I can´t find a soundboard recording?
    Greetings
    Mathew

It was indeed Christchurch. I remember seeing this on national tv in NZ at the time. The tv crew was only allowed to film what is shown in that video. A few days later I attended my first U2 concert in Wellington. Good times. 😀
  5. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]

there was something magical about finding a bootleg or an article in the press about your favourite band - things were literally more tangible

today we don't need the physical any longer and we have everything in front of us - that in itself is also magical but in a different way

i guess now the thrill of the chase is awaiting releases not from the band but from closed trading circles

i was once a member of a closed trading circle - i got access to it by having a couple of rarities myself bought at record fairs but i was still only in the outer circle and i never got to get into the heart of the 'club' - and the things i saw written in member's trading lists was unbelievable even though some have resurfaced and are on sites like this but in nth generation (an early one was the adelaide one in this thread, another was the pride faces version that's easily available now and the nowadays very common rattle and hum outtakes - all 3 only available in vhs form - and the hansa recordings available on vinyl, again everyone has them now)

the 'club' faded as members lives took over and, like with forums, people come and go

i never got to trade for the good stuff because i only had a couple of things and had already played my best hand, but high up members claimed to have mixing desk or soundboard recordings of most of the shows because of u2's own crew members basically plugging in, but whether that was bluff and bluster i'll never know until those recordings do surface i guess
    You mean those "high up members" that has Pro-Shot Multicam complete LoveTown Shows Beta Masters on their lists?
  6. Running to Standstill from my cassette of the following night in adelaide 28 10 1989

7. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]

Do you know if any of those traders have the video of Cork Opera House 1979?