1997-12-03 - Mexico City
Tour: Popmart
Songs played: 25
Audio recordings: 1
Videos: 1
  1. There’s no doubt they film them, but they will be being filmed in the context of what is being displayed on the screen. There will be very few shows recorded that have additional cinematic shots to choose from. They could probably release a full show from what they have stored but it will lack a lot of the production that they seem to look for on their live releases. It’s not necessarily a bad thing and a lot of fans may prefer a release with more static shots and less motion, but for a wider audience it might not be that impressive.
  2. Yes exactly. And with Edge being so perfectionist and the whole band & corporation looking for maximum impact with all their releases they just will NOT release these screen-recorded videos. No way.
  3. i have forgotten how great this paris concert was
  4. There's still no reason though why they can't give full length clips to U2.com subscribers. This is completely different to something being released commercially to the public. This is to paying subscribers to the bands fan club, who I think it's safe to say is more than the average fan and would't mind if its not up to par with a DVD release.

Not all the footage they film as well is for the screen. Melbourne, Brisbane, Singapore, Japan and wherever the Exit footage is from are all examples of this. I was also going to include Bad from India but having had another look is this even pro shot? Looks like it's been filmed on a phone.
  5. Originally posted by SJKamal:There's still no reason though why they can't give full length clips to U2.com subscribers. This is completely different to something being released commercially to the public. This is to paying subscribers to the bands fan club, who I think it's safe to say is more than the average fan and would't mind if its not up to par with a DVD release.

Not all the footage they film as well is for the screen. Melbourne, Brisbane, Singapore, Japan and wherever the Exit footage is from are all examples of this. I was also going to include Bad from India but having had another look is this even pro shot? Looks like it's been filmed on a phone.
    My god, that Exit video is higher quality than ANY of the streams they've announced with all the pomp and fanfare. 100% agree with everything you say.
  6. I'd say they've tons of high quality full concert footage from every gig going back to the 360 tour ,Willie Williams said the band get a USB key given to them after every gig so they can analyse it and make changes if needed, I'm guessing that footage is extremely good quality and not some half baked screen shots or filmed with one camera whether they ever choose to release it is another thing.
  7. 99% sure the recordings they're handed is the same style as this, which is clearly not release-worthy (in their opinion anyway):

Just a few cameras, long, steady shots... Nothing fancy.

I'd KILL to have some of their shows in that quality and recording style.
  8. Originally posted by popmarter:I'd say they've tons of high quality full concert footage from every gig going back to the 360 tour ,Willie Williams said the band get a USB key given to them after every gig so they can analyse it and make changes if needed, I'm guessing that footage is extremely good quality and not some half baked screen shots or filmed with one camera whether they ever choose to release it is another thing.
    I'd argue it's probably somewhere in between - its not shaky-cam, cell phone quality footage, but no band member is sitting on the runner plane after a gig watching a 3-cam edited cut of their performance with zooms, tracking, establishing shots, etc.
  9. Originally posted by SJKamal:There's still no reason though why they can't give full length clips to U2.com subscribers. This is completely different to something being released commercially to the public. This is to paying subscribers to the bands fan club, who I think it's safe to say is more than the average fan and would't mind if its not up to par with a DVD release.

That’s one of the main things I want them to add to the subscription. These subscriber specials with people giving us a playlist is not worth a penny of my subscription fee, the only parts of the subscription worthwhile is the gift as long as it’s a music one and ticket pre sales which aren’t relevant some years like this one and tbh they shouldn’t be profiting from anyway. So instead of a pointless 30 second clip every show throw a full live performance our way every week or if they want to be tight every month and we’ll still get 12 live song performances a year. It’s a completely reasonable ask when they’re clearly filming all these things anyway.
  10. Ticket pre-sales are barely a benefit these days anyway. It’s way too easy to get them in general sale and the drops leading up the event. And if you don’t want to pay full price, there’s always loads on the second hand markets.
  11. 2 Euros in Auckland! lol
  12. I really hate to harp on this, but it sort of baffles me that Boston was chosen for the ATYCLB box, and I say it for a few reasons. First of all, with the JT30 box it really seemed like the vaults may be being cracked open with the MSG release (even though it was incomplete). Showed that not only will they release that stuff digitally, they'll go so far as to press it to vinyl.

I guess they figured that since no singular JT'87 show had been released, they might as well pick one and make it "the one." But even if that were the case, why not release Slane with the ATYCLB boxset? It's so clearly the fan favorite U2 release, ESPECIALLY between that and Boston...Possibly because the arena sound gave them a more preferable mix?

Record Store Day is the perfect opportunity to release little EPs like their Virtual Road series, or do a live-single series like the fanclub Joshua Tree singles from a few years back. Instead, they've made it clear they'll putz through the catalogue from any uninteresting starting point and throw crap at the wall.

Anyway, with all that being said, here's what I could realistically envision them releasing in the future:

Red Rocks: a mammoth boxset in 2023 including the entire concert's audio for the first time and possibly a cleaned scan / digitally repaired remaster of the damaged footage.

Joshua Tree era: We've got all we'll ever get

LoveTown era: Point Depot could be a fanclub vinyl release

ZooTV era: Sydney on vinyl for AB30. No other show releases.

PopMart era: If, and only if, they decide to do a Pop box, Mexico could see vinyl. No other shows.

Elevation era: I would've thought MSG3 would've finally seen the light of day especially after reading about it in Pimms book recently. The fact that the box came and went answers this one.

Vertigo era: Chicago on vinyl for the Bomb anniversary. Truly think U23D could see the light of day again in the super deluxe, or at the very least a few tracks as bonus features on a DVD.

360 era: We've got all we'll ever get and that's more than enough. I say that as someone who loves this tour. They'll never celebrate the anny of NLOTH.

IE / EI era: a "Songs of" box set will come out in 10-20 years time from the original release and include live versions of album cuts from the tours, half of which we'll have heard already officially released, but half will be new. Could also potentially see a "Live from the E Stage" RSD release compiling random E-stage performances from the IE tour and possibly Acrobat.

JT30 era: The rumored movie and that's it, no audio releases beyond the fanclub singles.