1. Every month we put a U2 fan in the spotlights, the fan of the month December of 2021 is user U2sBiggestFan. Read along for the interview we had with this U2 fan.

"My earliest memory of U2 would be seeing the video to the sweetest thing on tv as an 8 year old, I can remember filling a 90 minute cassette tape with just that track. "

Tell us something about yourself, who are you and what do you do for a living?

My name is Wayne, I’m 31 years old and live in Harwich, a small town in Essex England. Most famous for its ferry to the hook of Holland. I live with my Wife, 6 year old Daughter and my Son who is now 4 years old. I work as a Support Worker for people with acquired brain injury’s, and have been doing this for 6 years. It can be a very rewarding job at times but it’s also mentally draining.

How did you become a fan of U2, tell us how it happened?

My earliest memory of U2 would be seeing the video to the sweetest thing on tv as an 8 year old, I can remember filling a 90 minute cassette tape with just that track. But I’d say I properly got into U2 when the best of 1990-2000 came out, I remember getting the cd for Christmas that year and my collection grew quickly from there. Stay (faraway, so close) stood out for me, I thought it was an amazing track. Bomb was the first album they released since I become a fan, I can remember the day it was released sitting in school just itching to get home to give it a listen.

Does anyone in your family or one of your friends like U2? If so, did they introduce you to U2, or did you "convert" them?

My mum was a casual fan before I was so I’ve always been around there music. I’ve taken my best friend to the last few shows and he enjoyed them but just wanted the hits. So not for the lack of trying I don’t have anyone to talk U2 with.

Your first show was 360 in London, what was that first experience like?

It wasn’t just my first U2 show but my first ever show. When Those first few beats of Breathe kicked in I was a bit overwhelmed. I was way up in the nosebleeds but still a great experience they left me hungry for my next show, I was determined to get a bit closer to the action for that one.

You also have seen U2 on the Innocence and Experience tours, would you prefer those smaller intimate shows or the bigger stadium shows?

I think it all depends on your position at the show, I was up close to the b-stage at the Joshua Tree tour in 2017 and way up high for 360. I’d say the closer to the action the better and you have a better chance of being close at the smaller shows.

What does your U2 collection look like? What kind of stuff do you have and how is it organised?

It’s a fairly humble collection compared to others I’ve seen but I have all the albums on cd and vinyl, cd singles from Achtung Baby onwards, all the live releases on dvd/Blu-ray, tour programs from my shows attended. My largest purchase was the Joshua Tree vinyl box set, I’d love to get my hands on the Achtung Baby box set one day.

When you're forced to leave to a deserted island and you can take only one U2 album with you, which would it be?

It could change on a daily basis all there albums have a different feel to them. Today I’d say Songs Of Experience as there’s a lot of tracks on there that have a deep personal meaning to me. On a purely musical level it would have to be Achtung Baby though as it’s an album I’ve never tired of and still sounds fresh every time I her it.

U2 recently released Your Song Saved My Life, is this a direction you like the band to take for new music?

I would be fairly happy if they decided to go that way with the next album, I’m one of the few on the site that enjoy the track. I would much prefer a heavier album though but normally we get a mix of both.

How different is U2 compared to other artists that you like?

Not to dissimilar, I’ve been a big Queen fan since I was a child. I also like The Smiths, Muse, The Strokes, The Killers and many more. I also keep an eye on what’s going on currently and like bands Like Bring Me the Horizon, You Me At Six, Mod Sun, Architects.

What are your hobbies and interests away from U2, musical or otherwise?

Sometimes I can work 50 hour weeks so I like to spend as much time as I can with the family. I follow the football and like to catch as many Chelsea matches as I can, recently but be been spending some time making fan made music videos (some U2, Some Marvel) Other than that just catch up with friends for a drink occasionally.

My view at my first u2 gig At Wembley

With my best friend Andy at the o2 for the experience tour

Thanks for this interview U2sBiggestFan!

Note: Our crew members randomly pick fans of the month, you can't sign up for it.
  2. Nice one Wayne
  3. Nice read 👍
  4. Good read indeed
  5. nice ready stuff
  6. Nice read!
  7. Great read @u2sbiggestfan! Long time forum fellow, well deserved.

Filling a 90 minute tape with just Sweetest Thing is a nightmare though hahaha