1. JH: Your life is an epic movie and I hear there is a U2 film in the works. Can you tell me any more?

B: It’s a drama series and it’s set in the early days. JJ Abrams of Bad Robot [Productions] rang me up and just said, “Your origin story is extraordinary. Can we look at it and get some writers and some clever people involved?” It isn’t completely set yet by any means, but it’s using the book as a jump-off point. I tried to make this a ’wemoir’ rather than a memoir.
  2. Originally posted by muzika:- Daltons are not getting a mention

- alleged ?

- seems to be a giod description of Pop

- dont most bands post 40 struggle ?

Some do, Aerosmith, Foo Fighters, Chili Peppers and Green Day seemed to be able to avoid that trap. Along with U2. Besides Vertigo in 04 people forget Boots went top 40 and Ordinary Love did really well in 2014
  3. Originally posted by justinpushplay:[..]

Some do, Aerosmith, Foo Fighters, Chili Peppers and Green Day seemed to be able to avoid that trap. Along with U2. Besides Vertigo in 04 people forget Boots went top 40 and Ordinary Love did really well in 2014
    Depends on when you are 40. Old artists could still make a dent on the charts in the 90's. Aerosmith members were around 45 when 1993's Get A Grip was well made with airplay ready singles. U2 were around 45 when Bomb came out, and by 2004 the landscape for older artists had changed dramatically with most on the charts were really, really young, and the trend got worse as the years went by. Vertigo may seem like a HUGE single, but it hit # 31 in the USA, as US markets had already started to stipulate that airplay went to artists 35 and under. Vertigo did hit #1 in the UK, Ireland, and was top 5 in multiple European markets. Boots? It hit # 37 in the USA, and then fell off the chart the next week. And the failure of that single, as well as the album in the USA was where Bono first spoke of the lack of relevancy and not having the awareness of how # 37 in the USA for a group pushing 50 was phenomenal for their age. Now at 62, and ages without a significant hit, Bono understands chasing hits is maybe not the best approach. Still, I don't believe him. He's not quite the liar Prince was, but Bono does spew a lot of fragments out there from time to time. I'll believe it when U2 does not allow young flavor of the month producers in the studio. Since they only have 1 or 2 albums left in them, it already seems like they have been working with Teddy Bear Tedder, who in my opinion is just not the right guy...but what do I know?
  4. If I were doing the series:

Season 1: Band Formation-1985
    2: 1986-1989
    3: 1990-1995
    4: 1996-2008
    5: 2009-2022

Not to discount the later years...but for most artists, including U2, the best of the best is from when they had the first record deal, the first hit album, etc.
  5. Originally posted by pleasegone:[..]
    Depends on when you are 40. Old artists could still make a dent on the charts in the 90's. Aerosmith members were around 45 when 1993's Get A Grip was well made with airplay ready singles. U2 were around 45 when Bomb came out, and by 2004 the landscape for older artists had changed dramatically with most on the charts were really, really young, and the trend got worse as the years went by. Vertigo may seem like a HUGE single, but it hit # 31 in the USA, as US markets had already started to stipulate that airplay went to artists 35 and under. Vertigo did hit #1 in the UK, Ireland, and was top 5 in multiple European markets. Boots? It hit # 37 in the USA, and then fell off the chart the next week. And the failure of that single, as well as the album in the USA was where Bono first spoke of the lack of relevancy and not having the awareness of how # 37 in the USA for a group pushing 50 was phenomenal for their age. Now at 62, and ages without a significant hit, Bono understands chasing hits is maybe not the best approach. Still, I don't believe him. He's not quite the liar Prince was, but Bono does spew a lot of fragments out there from time to time. I'll believe it when U2 does not allow young flavor of the month producers in the studio. Since they only have 1 or 2 albums left in them, it already seems like they have been working with Teddy Bear Tedder, who in my opinion is just not the right guy...but what do I know?
    The 90s was the last decade when an artist age played no part in their relevance or pop success. You look at something like the VMA of 94, which is supposed to be a snapshot of what the kids/culture are all about. And that show had Aerosmith (late 40’s, Stones (early 50’s), Tom Petty (late 40’s) and Springsteen (late 40’s) as performers, all playing songs that were massive hits that year (except for Aerosmith; they did walk this way but picked up three awards that night for Cryin’). All but showing how little the teens and 20 somethings cared about age. Completely different game lately, being youthful in the industry has more currency than having good tunes
  6. Originally posted by pleasegone:[..]
    If iTunes downloads had counted towards chart position in late 2004. “Vertigo” would’ve been a runaway #1 hit in the US, and the world. They didn’t start doing that until the following year. That song was huge in late 2004. The #31 chart position does not reflect that.
  7. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]
    If iTunes downloads had counted towards chart position in late 2004. “Vertigo” would’ve been a runaway #1 hit in the US, and the world. They didn’t start doing that until the following year. That song was huge in late 2004. The #31 chart position does not reflect that.
    That’s true, it’s iTunes promotion and downloads were through the roof, would have easily been top 10
  8. point well taken, but it was the older people that got it to 31. It got limited pop airplay, but enough to be a hit. Classic Rock was all over it though. It was the last U2 song played on that radio format 8 weeks or more with any consistency. In the Orlando area, and most of the US...Beautiful Day, Elevation, and Vertigo are the only 3 songs with any consistent airplay for 10 weeks or more since 1998, which is a telling sign of how long it has been since they had actual chart relevance in the USA. From 2015 and before, I did lots of traveling, and that was true elsewhere. When a new release came out, the first single might get some play for a week or two, and then nothing. Back to U2 being an oldies act. And it was that way anytime a new Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, or whatever older artist had a new release.
  9. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:Knowing how much they want to alter facts "for dramatic purposes", Episode 1 will be something like "Young Paul Hewson posted an ad on his high school at age 18 to form a band, on the same week his mother died and while his father was battling alcoholism".

Coming From Netflix? Well..