1. Originally posted by dagobah:OK, I've searched the forum in addition to other sources . . . . . but I have failed to find a list of Songs Of Surrender tracks that feature Edge as lead vocal. Searching every page of each thread for each track would take hours. I'm under the impression that Edge has lead vocal on Two Hearts Beat As One . . . . . but other than that, I don't know. Where can this list be found?

Try and create a list for the forum. Use U2W1's credit page here:

https://www.u2songs.com/news/songs_of_surrender_the_credits

Try using your "Find" feature in your browser and post your list. The U2start forum will then agree or disagree.

2. But they have a 16 track CD version to make everyone happy.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yeah but these are just variations – the main album is 40 songs long and there's a certain consensus that it's way too long and many songs are not worthy inclusions. A 12-15 songs thing would have been much easier to swallow, faster to produce (hence easier to deliver on time) and in general a better move. But, of course, a 12-15 song album wouldn't have matched with the 40 chapters in Bono's book (#). And that's all.

(#) And then again, having a 40 song album but the songs not matching with the book's chapters doesn't make any sense.

It is sort of theme based. I don't see an issue with it. It is a wash. So what.
  4. Before I typed my initial post, I actually did use the "Find" feature on that webpage. The problem for me is . . . . . that webpage lists Edge as vocals for all 40 tracks but it does not specify "lead vocal".

I'm surprised at two things:
    - the album credits don't specify who is "lead vocal" on each track
    - someone [here on the forum] has not yet started a separate thread that lists SOS tracks "where Edge is lead vocal"; I guess determining that is subjective but I should not be making that determination because my ears and hearing are not as good as other people's ears and hearing; I can't even tell the difference between an MP3 audio file and a FLAC audio file . . . . . or whatever those other files are called . . . . . lossy audio files
  5. Originally posted by dagobah:Before I typed my initial post, I actually did use the "Find" feature on that webpage. The problem for me is . . . . . that webpage lists Edge as vocals for all 40 tracks but it does not specify "lead vocal".

I'm surprised at two things:
    - the album credits don't specify who is "lead vocal" on each track
    - someone [here on the forum] has not yet started a separate thread that lists SOS tracks "where Edge is lead vocal"; I guess determining that is subjective but I should not be making that determination because my ears and hearing are not as good as other people's ears and hearing; I can't even tell the difference between an MP3 audio file and a FLAC audio file . . . . . or whatever those other files are called . . . . . lossy audio files
    I'd say Edge quite clearly sings lead on:
    Stories for Boys
    the second part of Electrical Storm
    Desire
    Peace On Earth
    Two Hearts Beat As One
    Miracle Drug chorus
    and smaller bits and pieces of other songs (his usual part in Stuck In A Moment etc.)
  6. Interestingly, Bono sings edges part of Miracle Drug.
  7. I'll have to listen to that again. Not putting Seconds on was a missed opportunity.
  8. Skimmed it over the weekend.

Some songs are cool, most are “fine”, some are totally questionable lol.

They really should’ve picked the 10-12 most interesting ones and released that. It’s not to say that more isn’t merrier, but when I’ve heard 6 songs where it’s just the melody played on a piano with some acoustic guitar accompaniment, I’m completely bored by the 7th one.

I will also say, that I honestly kind of feel like this record takes away from U2’s songwriting mystique in a way? As in, when you remove the Edge’s inventive guitar, or inventive production from many of these songs, the “U2 formula” that I never really pondered before is on full display. It’s kind of odd.
  9. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:.....................
    I will also say, that I honestly kind of feel like this record takes away from U2’s songwriting mystique in a way? As in, when you remove the Edge’s inventive guitar, or inventive production from many of these songs, the “U2 formula” that I never really pondered before is on full display. It’s kind of odd.

ouch...
    I guess you could say that basically most artists are really 'one trick ponies' who keep using the same formula over and over again...
    And I don't mind that, but agree that its odd when on full display..
  10. shoe horning 40 songs onto an album just to align with Bono's book is odd. If anything Bono should have cut the book down to 11/12 chapters
  11. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:
    They really should’ve picked the 10-12 most interesting ones and released that. It’s not to say that more isn’t merrier, but when I’ve heard 6 songs where it’s just the melody played on a piano with some acoustic guitar accompaniment, I’m completely bored by the 7th one.

Pretty much sums up my conclusion. Listening to 40 similar songs over nearly 3 hours does get repetitive and so I'll probably stick to a playlist of a dozen that may change over time.