1. Originally posted by EdgeMedia72:As much as I hate to admit it over all I would say this release has been a much needed good one for the band. I went and deep dived on Google for more obscure or unreported reviews and they fall as a collective on the positive side.

Even a few of the more 'indi' online music mags/websites written by younger reviewers using terms like 'reminder of how good' 'amazing back catalogue' 'retrospective' 'fresh' used instead of phrases such as ' dinosaurs of rock ' ' out of creative ideas ' 'maybe it's time to put down the microphones ' etc ....

Nothing will change my personal opinion, I hate it.

I ultimately fear that with this 'success' it will filter thru to the next new release with the so called 'guitar/rock' album being shelved or watered down for more of the same stuff we have had now on SOI SOE and SOS.
    To be fair, they only reimagined 40 songs. I believe there are still 160+ songs to go.
  2. Originally posted by Papo:I definetely like the route they are talking, production-wise. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot when their records are adventurous sonically, but in recent years I felt that some tracks where overproduced and the songs suffered.

I'm really looking forward to the next album with new songs and to finding out if this back to basics approach led to a more consistent and song-oriented production.
    A new album featuring noisy microphones, careless edits and wobbly vocal takes? Oh yeah, sounds like a treat
  3. Thanks for your input as positive and valid as ever
  4. No, not that, of course. An organic-sounding record with a simple production would do, even with some musical 'flaws'. A falling stick like on The Unfogettable Fire or even an 'unfinished' track like Bad wouldn't have survived production in 2000-2018...
  5. Originally posted by Papo:[..]
    No, not that, of course. An organic-sounding record with a simple production would do, even with some musical 'flaws'. A falling stick like on The Unfogettable Fire or even an 'unfinished' track like Bad wouldn't have survived production in 2000-2018...
    I know. That's a big part of their problem.
  6. Originally posted by Papo:[..]
    No, not that, of course. An organic-sounding record with a simple production would do, even with some musical 'flaws'. A falling stick like on The Unfogettable Fire or even an 'unfinished' track like Bad wouldn't have survived production in 2000-2018...
    I'd love if they took this SOS vibe to Rick Rubin.
  7. They could call it Larry's Kitchen as the 'drums' already sound like they were done with forks on the sink
  8. Bob Dylan has famously quipped that no albums have sounded good in decades (he meant on the level of production/sound quality).

There's something to be said for the limitations of the older analogue style of recording.

Case in point: have the recent U2 albums benefitted from endless production tweaks?
  9. I love the Sound of Bob Dylan's records since Love & Theft, when he started to produce himself (as Jack Frost).
  10. Originally posted by Papo:I love the Sound of Bob Dylan's records since Love & Theft, when he started to produce himself (as Jack Frost).
    Nothing tops Time out of Mind