1. Lived there for a few years, and could alwqys say what ever I wanted, protest against I wanted, all my american friends could say anything they wanted against the govt. Was nice
  2. Very aware of horrific human rights issues in different parts of the world, including Qatar.
    You are against watching a football tournament because of that but ok with U2 and their love of the USA despite many issues there?
    I am not hating on the USA, simply trying to understand at which point your moral compass starts and stops.
    We probably agree on many of the issues but your point doesn't make sense imo.
  3. Going to fly from Holland to see u2 in Vegas? No way, wrong. U2 should stop touring for the sake of Climate. We all should stop flying, stop eating meat, buy stuff from china, etc.
    If u2 goes on tour only visit a concert in your home country or in the case of Holland visit Belgium/ germany by train.
    We’re all sinners and doomed. Only the Cross can redeem us. Knowing all That’s wrong… i’m wrong, watching the world cup on a tv made in china, powered by solar panels from china (oeigoers prison labour) played in a county where basic labour laws are trashed over the backs and lives of workers. Knowing all my trash is exported to third world counties etc. And Made by people in poor ways.
    All the food we in Holland export (2nd largest meat and food exporter in the world/ for a fking small country: it’s ridiculous. All the shit liturally stays here.

World Cup football: food and games! Keeping the people happy
  4. Originally posted by Zoo_Station_DW:[..]
    Very aware of horrific human rights issues in different parts of the world, including Qatar.
    You are against watching a football tournament because of that but ok with U2 and their love of the USA despite many issues there?
    I am not hating on the USA, simply trying to understand at which point your moral compass starts and stops.
    We probably agree on many of the issues but your point doesn't make sense imo.
    Thanks for the answer. Now I understand what you mean. I absolutely do not understand with everything that the USA do. However, still it is a country that offers hell of a democracy and human rights.
    And to sour question why I dont watch this WC? I simply dont want to support this nonsense cup, where everyrhing is wrong. I dont believe in a country that thinks that money is everything. They believe that money is everyrhing no metter what. Me, personally believe in human rights 100% “, for Qatar it is a nonsense. I also believe in sustainbility, for them it is a joke - like AC at the stadiums etc. I believe that LGBT deservs to be heared, they dont.
    I cannot watch a cup, knowing that more than 6-10k workers dead in a horrible conditions, while building the most luxury stadiums. While the ones who surrvived got something between 1-5 dollars per day.
    I can't stand it when alcohol is officially banned everywhere because of the local religion, but in all VIP zones everyone drinks, and alcohol is present everywhere. The same with prostitutes.

And I could continue for hours….
  5. Originally posted by Pipo:Going to fly from Holland to see u2 in Vegas? No way, wrong. U2 should stop touring for the sake of Climate. We all should stop flying, stop eating meat, buy stuff from china, etc.
    If u2 goes on tour only visit a concert in your home country or in the case of Holland visit Belgium/ germany by train.
    We’re all sinners and doomed. Only the Cross can redeem us. Knowing all That’s wrong… i’m wrong, watching the world cup on a tv made in china, powered by solar panels from china (oeigoers prison labour) played in a county where basic labour laws are trashed over the backs and lives of workers. Knowing all my trash is exported to third world counties etc. And Made by people in poor ways.
    All the food we in Holland export (2nd largest meat and food exporter in the world/ for a fking small country: it’s ridiculous. All the shit liturally stays here.

World Cup football: food and games! Keeping the people happy
    You made a food point, I agree. Of course, if we all want to go to a detail, that would mean no iphones, no airlines, etc etc. I agree!
    Lets debate about that. I am open to that. However, to support such global events like WC, and thus give legimitacy is a whole different level in my opinion. Jist like the Olympic in Berlin 1936.
  6. Originally posted by weslyck:[..]
    Thanks for the answer. Now I understand what you mean. I absolutely do not understand with everything that the USA do. However, still it is a country that offers hell of a democracy and human rights.
    And to sour question why I dont watch this WC? I simply dont want to support this nonsense cup, where everyrhing is wrong. I dont believe in a country that thinks that money is everything. They believe that money is everyrhing no metter what. Me, personally believe in human rights 100% “, for Qatar it is a nonsense. I also believe in sustainbility, for them it is a joke - like AC at the stadiums etc. I believe that LGBT deservs to be heared, they dont.
    I cannot watch a cup, knowing that more than 6-10k workers dead in a horrible conditions, while building the most luxury stadiums. While the ones who surrvived got something between 1-5 dollars per day.
    I can't stand it when alcohol is officially banned everywhere because of the local religion, but in all VIP zones everyone drinks, and alcohol is present everywhere. The same with prostitutes.

And I could continue for hours….
    I happen to agree with you about Qatar. Absolutely. I think FIFA is corrupt to the core, it's wrong in so many ways that the World Cup is being held there and as I said earlier I vehemently disagree with their laws regarding gay people, women's rights etc etc.
    I would say though if you were an abused American woman living in Texas who found herself pregnant and can't even consider abortion as an option then you may think differently about the human rights that are on offer there.
    Personally I'm enjoying watching the football because it's giving me a break from my domestic teams rubbish form!
  7. Originally posted by weslyck:[..]
    You made a food point, I agree. Of course, if we all want to go to a detail, that would mean no iphones, no airlines, etc etc. I agree!
    Lets debate about that. I am open to that. However, to support such global events like WC, and thus give legimitacy is a whole different level in my opinion. Jist like the Olympic in Berlin 1936.
    Sport and particularly football has always been used by regimes to promote and benefit themselves. All very wrong. Berlin as you say, the fascist Italian government in 1934, Argentina 1978, owners of PSG, Newcastle and there's many many more examples.
    The world is often a very ugly place.
  8. Originally posted by Zoo_Station_DW:[..]
    I happen to agree with you about Qatar. Absolutely. I think FIFA is corrupt to the core, it's wrong in so many ways that the World Cup is being held there and as I said earlier I vehemently disagree with their laws regarding gay people, women's rights etc etc.
    I would say though if you were an abused American woman living in Texas who found herself pregnant and can't even consider abortion as an option then you may think differently about the human rights that are on offer there.
    Personally I'm enjoying watching the football because it's giving me a break from my domestic teams rubbish form!
    The main difference is, that a poor lady from Texas still can go to the streets and protest without it she would disappear or be found tortured somewhere. Another difference is that yes, Texas showed a clear right to vote, and after the next election, this abortion law can change - which is quite likely. After all, the fact that the Republicans did not win a supermajority in the Senate and almost not even in the House, in the current election is the reason for this constitutionally strengthened ruling on abortion. Anerican made it clear: they didn't want it that way. And it divided them tremendously. However, freedom of speech, freedom of choice. And bo metter what they have it. You can have any opinion on the US you want, but you cant never ever compare it to Qatar, Russia etc.
  9. Originally posted by Zoo_Station_DW:[..]
    Sport and particularly football has always been used by regimes to promote and benefit themselves. All very wrong. Berlin as you say, the fascist Italian government in 1934, Argentina 1978, owners of PSG, Newcastle and there's many many more examples.
    The world is often a very ugly place.
    Exactly, and thats why I dont have any joy watching this WC, and not doing it.
  10. Argentina's revenge