1. Originally posted by deanallison: Also one hurdle that might not be in the way in the future (I don’t agree with it myself) is the dislike for Bono as an individual that clearly exists, the ‘I don’t mind u2 but I can’t stand Bono’ stuff.
    That is a good point and in fact I've been noticing that the amount of Bono-hate out there has dicreased a bit in recent years. It was in its prime between 2005 and 2015. Now the tax issue is over 15 years old, Bono isn't seen with politicians as much as he was between 2000 and 2010 and in general people out there isn't Bono-fed as much as they were 15 years ago.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    That is a good point and in fact I've been noticing that the amount of Bono-hate out there has dicreased a bit in recent years. It was in its prime between 2005 and 2015. Now the tax issue is over 15 years old, Bono isn't seen with politicians as much as he was between 2000 and 2010 and in general people out there isn't Bono-fed as much as they were 15 years ago.
    I’m interested in what the book does this fall. Will it make him a bit more liked, or will it be an excuse for the Bono hate to come out in full force again. Maybe a bit more focus on his personal life will cut through some of the Bono hate.
  3. @dean, your post won't be forgotten that's for sure. I see it like 3 times on my screen lol. My responses were all to Zoop suggesting that the JT 2017 film, and their other recorded vault material would help support the band's Children, Grandchildren, etc. I just made it clear that there will be no revenue stream. I did suggest that in time, they will be forgotten. But my main point is just release everything now while there are still some actual customers for it. Why record 500 or more shows and just let them rot? That's the big point. Prince recorded THOUSANDS of songs and at the snails pace his imaginary "Estate" are releasing material, most will rot. (Prince fans actually think the family members are active in what gets released, when it is a few corporate types lol)
  4. Originally posted by pleasegone:@dean, your post won't be forgotten that's for sure. I see it like 3 times on my screen lol. My responses were all to Zoop suggesting that the JT 2017 film, and their other recorded vault material would help support the band's Children, Grandchildren, etc. I just made it clear that there will be no revenue stream. I did suggest that in time, they will be forgotten. But my main point is just release everything now while there are still some actual customers for it. Why record 500 or more shows and just let them rot? That's the big point. Prince recorded THOUSANDS of songs and at the snails pace his imaginary "Estate" are releasing material, most will rot. (Prince fans actually think the family members are active in what gets released, when it is a few corporate types lol)
    Yeah I agree with your main point(s) about the releases specifically, or the lack of even. What I find particularly difficult to understand is they are refusing to release great shows. I can understand not releasing every show or every song, I wouldn’t want just everything and anything being released if I was an artist and hated the sound of something whether it be a studio song that sounded unfinished or a live performance with mistakes, so I do get that. But they aren’t exactly limited for options and have great performances they could be releasing. I actually doubt they have too much studio stuff that could be released. I think a lot of demo’s/outtakes probably just develop and turn into other things, I doubt there will be a lot of unique songs unreleased. Going back to the live stuff though it could be they do have plans for multiple live releases in the future. There is going to be a day when the band aren’t playing or writing new music and whilst unfortunately that could be brought on by one of them not being with us that means 3 of them will be with us, so maybe at that point the vaults become the main interest for the remaining band member. Not trying to be too morbid about my last point but I feel like that is what brings a stop to u2 as opposed to it being a choice.
  5. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Yeah I agree with your main point(s) about the releases specifically, or the lack of even. What I find particularly difficult to understand is they are refusing to release great shows. I can understand not releasing every show or every song, I wouldn’t want just everything and anything being released if I was an artist and hated the sound of something whether it be a studio song that sounded unfinished or a live performance with mistakes, so I do get that. But they aren’t exactly limited for options and have great performances they could be releasing. I actually doubt they have too much studio stuff that could be released. I think a lot of demo’s/outtakes probably just develop and turn into other things, I doubt there will be a lot of unique songs unreleased. Going back to the live stuff though it could be they do have plans for multiple live releases in the future. There is going to be a day when the band aren’t playing or writing new music and whilst unfortunately that could be brought on by one of them not being with us that means 3 of them will be with us, so maybe at that point the vaults become the main interest for the remaining band member. Not trying to be too morbid about my last point but I feel like that is what brings a stop to u2 as opposed to it being a choice.
    deanallison posted: There is going to be a day when the band aren’t playing or writing new music and whilst unfortunately that could be brought on by one of them not being with us that means 3 of them will be with us, so maybe at that point the vaults become the main interest for the remaining band member.

Problem: Hardly anybody is spending money on music right now, or really since 2010. The medium is become exponentially less profitable. It's pretty much a now or never venture. And as far as audio vaults go, there is likely not too much in there as far as unknown outtakes. There are tons of demos of well known songs, the entire scrapped Pop album. Now they are embarrassed about Pop, so they likely would make a Trump Tribute album before they would release that, but I'd be all over it.

One funny thing with Prince fans, and with U2 fans is: "Album _____ is having its 50th anniversary this year or that year, can't wait to see what that release will be!" Well, I got news for anyone that thinks like that....it ain't gonna happen. And if it does, we all might be too old to even care. There aren't any young people saving their cash for U2 archival releases in the future.