1. I'm predicting Q4 2024. Which will be a 7 year gap between SOE.
  2. Hahaha wow, that's truly underwhelming. And to think that some (many) thought and believed that the band had been working on a new album that was "almost ready to be pressed"...

They finished JT19 in Mumbai in December 19, barely two months later the pandemic came; instead of spurring themselves creatively like many other bands, they started scratching their bellies; Bono got caught up in his book, they started to toy with the idea of the SOS album to go with the book, and in that whole process the album of new songs has been relegated to the background... Now the Vegas thingy is coming and until that happens and Larry comes back (if he comes back) they won't get into the new album in full swing.

And we know how the U2 writing & recording process goes, and it's been steadily slowing down since the 90s: they take longer to write, longer to record and longer to produce. So, if the Vegas thing gets wrapped before the end of 2023, they could be starting the process in early 2024. Knowing them, do we REALLY believe they'll write, record and produce the album in less than a year? I know my answer to that question.
  3. album 2025
    tour 2026
  4. Quote from one of the band some time after the Sphere shows that says “ah we shelved that rock album for now and presently we’re experimenting on new ideas” - 2024

Retirement announcement - 2025 or 2026
  5. So it's basically Edge fiddling with home demos where 'they're' at right now. Although Adam usually downplays progress, whereas Bono would say it's ready to go
  6. My bet would be it's not going to happen at all...
    retirement is imminent.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Hahaha wow, that's truly underwhelming. And to think that some (many) thought and believed that the band had been working on a new album that was "almost ready to be pressed"...

They finished JT19 in Mumbai in December 19, barely two months later the pandemic came; instead of spurring themselves creatively like many other bands, they started scratching their bellies; Bono got caught up in his book, they started to toy with the idea of the SOS album to go with the book, and in that whole process the album of new songs has been relegated to the background... Now the Vegas thingy is coming and until that happens and Larry comes back (if he comes back) they won't get into the new album in full swing.

And we know how the U2 writing & recording process goes, and it's been steadily slowing down since the 90s: they take longer to write, longer to record and longer to produce. So, if the Vegas thing gets wrapped before the end of 2023, they could be starting the process in early 2024. Knowing them, do we REALLY believe they'll write, record and produce the album in less than a year? I know my answer to that question.
    I'm not so sure, they are in total PR mode for SOS so they don't want to distract too much from that by talking up a new album if they start saying it's recorded and ready to be released the headlines will go with that instead of the current album, only a few months ago U2 songs told us that they recorded a new album last year and it would be released this year after SOS ,now who knows what the plan is now with Larry out of commission and the uncertainty of the Vegas residency happening this year but they could release it by the end of the year and tour from middle of 2024.
  8. reworked songs don't stand as new album. Just compilation/soundtrack to Bono's book. Nothing more, nothing less...
  9. Considering their last four albums, it's okay not to hear their new work. They're at their best when they are agitated or divorced and Eno is guiding them creatively. They're wealthy and happy and self producing. I can be spared Bono's Hallmark card lyrics and Edge's production.
  10. Originally posted by enoone:Considering their last four albums, it's okay not to hear their new work. They're at their best when they are agitated or divorced and Eno is guiding them creatively. They're wealthy and happy and self producing. I can be spared Bono's Hallmark card lyrics and Edge's production.
    Harsh but I don’t necessarily disagree…
  11. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    I'm not so sure, they are in total PR mode for SOS so they don't want to distract too much from that by talking up a new album if they start saying it's recorded and ready to be released the headlines will go with that instead of the current album, only a few months ago U2 songs told us that they recorded a new album last year and it would be released this year after SOS ,now who knows what the plan is now with Larry out of commission and the uncertainty of the Vegas residency happening this year but they could release it by the end of the year and tour from middle of 2024.
    Is that new album recorded? In some interviews you read it’s more like they want to make that rock album.
  12. Originally posted by enoone:Considering their last four albums, it's okay not to hear their new work. They're at their best when they are agitated or divorced and Eno is guiding them creatively. They're wealthy and happy and self producing. I can be spared Bono's Hallmark card lyrics and Edge's production.
    I'm torn here.

Their output from the last two decades or so has been slow and irregular. From ATYCLB to SOE, there's at least 3-5 songs I love on each album, and then the rest varies in quality (to my subjective ears, at least.)

So, on one hand, I still believe the songwriting is there and magic can happen sometimes, but I do accept it's a rarity nowadays.

Bottomline, I will definitely get excited for new U2 songs but fully aware of the fact that I will be happy liking at least half of the album (and that hopefully all 4 members play on it.) That's all I expect.