1. I read in their book that song talks about drunk ambitions,but in funny way,about big wish coming home in one piece.
    Bono wrote it in Australia when he was up all night because he missed his baby
  2. Originally posted by emielhello rmann83,

Have you never heard about the book "into the heart the story about every u2 song"
    by naill stokes .
    He is a friend of the band and after each album U2 brings out ,
    the book will be reprinted to be up to date .
    I got an older version up to "pop" but there must be a book until "how to dismantle an atomic bomb" .
    I never seen it here in holland and i'm not shore if i'ts still in the shops .
    But it's great to read

This way off-topic, but, you have an awsome avatar!
  3. Originally posted by Angel_or_Devil[..]

What a Perve, lmao. This song is really good, one of my favourites too.

Hahahaha! The first markings of Macphisto, to be sure.
  4. great song indeed, but not as an album version
  5. All the mentioned explanations are 'true' from what I've read about the song over the months I am now a fan. I just might wanna add that Bono's inspiration for the lyrics was also that he was on tour and just wanted to be home with his wife, hence 'tryin' to throw your arms around the world'.
    It's a really great song indeed, and I absolutely love the video to it on the ZooTV Sydney DVD
  6. Originally posted by U2Nick[..]

This way off-topic, but, you have an awsome avatar!

thanx ...ifound it on a belgain bloge site
  7. It’s been said that this song is also about “The Fly” but from a more sympathetic perspective. About a man who has gone out on the town and is stumbling home in the wee hours, mystified at where he’d been and high on drunk ambition.
    U2 felt they were under a microscope in Dublin, so through the winter of 1986, they decided to stay in Los Angeles. While there, they sampled the delights and the drinks of the town. They acted completely out of character, frequenting bars and discovered a looseness musically and personally that ended up shaping what Larry Mullen called, “An Irish drinking song”.

http://www.u2star.com/blog/achtung-baby/tryin-to-throw-your-arms-around-the-world
  8. Originally posted by AidanFormigoni[..]

It's one of my top-10 too!!

same.

"a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."

great quote ^
  9. I agree, this song is fantastic live, very underrated. Anyone know what guitar the Edge uses to play it live?

I've been watching all the live performances on Youtube, my fav so far is the Adelaide one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFV4QeT84M8

I like the Edge's guitar in the bridge, just before Bono sprays the champane, unique to this performance I think. It doesn't have the third verse though. So a live performance that has both would probably be the best.

Which live performances of "Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World " do you guys think are best?
  10. "take me to the bridge, the edge! won't you lift me up, lift me up!"
  11. Originally posted by vanquishWhich live performances of "Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World " do you guys think are best?

Either the version from the bonus DVD on the deluxe ZooTV box set (it's a Yankee Stadium show but I'm buggered if I remember which one) or 11-06-1992 Stockholm (11th of June rather than 6th of November, I just remembered that the bootlegs aren't organised by how I write the date lol!)

12. Which live performances of "Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World " do you guys think are best?

1993-08-28 Is the best version (for me) Naomi Campbell in the camera, funny.