1. Originally posted by pleasegone:[..]

One sucks live lol. One of the funniest posts I have ever seen you make lol. Even if I had been to the 9,212 shows you were at, I could not say that. Now I will say that the Vertigo Tour versions were the worst of the worst, but on 360 for the first few legs, it was pretty impressive, even though the Tutu bit got a little stale. On the later legs, he seemed to struggle more. The smoking he did probably is a major factor, but who knows?

To me, saying One sucks live is kinda like saying Streets or WOWY sucks live lol. Now Elevation and Beautiful Day are open game ha! Though to be honest, Elevation sounds great, it is just a bit stale when you've sorted through a billion versions. Hearing Bono Croaking his way through the first verse of BD is a bit painful.
    You're quoting a 2006 post and Remy was basing his opinion on the 2 One performances he had seen the year before.

2. I think you're on the right track in that it's about being able to enter into heaven but my guess is it more closely reflects Luke 13:22-29. In that passage someone asks Jesus "Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?" and he responds:

24 “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25 Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’

“But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’

26 “Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’

27 “But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’

28 “There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out. 29 People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God

Jesus' message is quiet hard hitting. He's saying some will turn up at the gates of Heaven claiming to be a friend of his, but He won't recognize them because their faith was shallow, or they were insincere or didn't genuinely follow him.

The coda to One, is a plea from a believer, knocking at the door of heaven, pleading for grace and to be let in; scratching desperately in the hope they will be accepted. Bono (or at least the character in those lines) in humility, doesn't assume he's guaranteed entry, so he makes his plea.

That's just my view. I don't pretend to understand what Bono means or to be a Biblical scholar; but that's how I've been able to comprehend it.
  3. And “Vertigo Tour versions were the worst of the worst”.
  4. One rivalized Streets that tour for the "worst classic song performance of the tour"
  5. Just when I thought my PTSD was subsiding.