1. the zootv version is SO superior AND amazing .
    Don’t think i would like anything else than that version.
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy:Resurrected in 2005 and 2017 and they didn’t do a good job either time. Edge just over complicating he piano for no good reason. Can’t remember a good crowd singalong to it or even for the ‘still running’ part at the end. Sigh.
    Some 2005 singalongs were nice (either San Jose or Anaheim in the first week of the tour, also one of the Boston nights and the Croker gigs too), but yeah they sure haven't made the song justice in over 25 years now. A true shame.
  3. I’d throw in that RTSS was one of the best audience parts in the Boston JT17 gig, but I’m sure it didn’t compare to the old days. Special moment for Adam, with the MusiCares thing the next(?) day - Bono made a point of talking about it.

With all the ZooTV love on here - which is appropriate - I’ll say I really really love those late Lovetown versions, especially when they did Dirty Old Town at the end. Running To Stand Still seems like it shouldn’t work as the second song in a set, but it sure did at those shows where Bullet opened.
  4. Yep, once they sexed it up for ZOO TV there was no going back.

That segue has gone down in folklore.

JT17's was nice but a bit bland - didn't really like the plink plonk plink plonk piano bit Edge added on.
  5. I thought JT2017 was OK, just Bono talked through a lot of the song.
  6. I find it so funny that this song (of many) was requested for SO long, and after they played it on the JT tour in 2017 - everyone here is just saying how bad it was lol.

Ever think there's a correlation between the band not playing a song they haven't played in years and fans being disappointed once they do?

I was blissed out hearing it in 2017, don't care how "aged" it sounded or whatever. If people really want to start comparing performances of older U2 songs across decades of performances, why do you even want the band to perform old stuff at all anymore? It's never going to sound as good. To me the joy is just seeing the guys play songs they wrote when they were younger men - I think that's really cool, and I really don't think it sounded as bad as people are making it out to be...

I was just happy to be seeing my favourite band perform my favourite album - the quality of the performance (which ranged from good to great IMO) almost didn't matter. I could barely even hear the band during this song actually, it was just 80,000 people singing Running to Stand Still and it was a moment I won't forget.
  7. True, it's one of their epic songs. One of the best versions is the new years eve 1989 version. Dirty Old Town version. In 1 word, BRILLIANT. So it doesn't matter where or when they play it. Sing a long etc such amazing.
  8. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:I find it so funny that this song (of many) was requested for SO long, and after they played it on the JT tour in 2017 - everyone here is just saying how bad it was lol.

Ever think there's a correlation between the band not playing a song they haven't played in years and fans being disappointed once they do?

I was blissed out hearing it in 2017, don't care how "aged" it sounded or whatever. If people really want to start comparing performances of older U2 songs across decades of performances, why do you even want the band to perform old stuff at all anymore? It's never going to sound as good. To me the joy is just seeing the guys play songs they wrote when they were younger men - I think that's really cool, and I really don't think it sounded as bad as people are making it out to be...

I was just happy to be seeing my favourite band perform my favourite album - the quality of the performance (which ranged from good to great IMO) almost didn't matter. I could barely even hear the band during this song actually, it was just 80,000 people singing Running to Stand Still and it was a moment I won't forget.

We are all entitled to our opinions - just as you are - so if you liked it then great and if someone else thought it was meh then great.

...but ZOO TV was the best

...great!

...and I saw ZOO TV, I was at those concerts

...and it was

...great

9. ZooTV, the best for me. In 2017 I was stoked to even see that song be performed again. Like OTH, RHMT, etc..no, our boys aren't spring chickens anymore, but still the goosebumps 😁
  10. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:I find it so funny that this song (of many) was requested for SO long, and after they played it on the JT tour in 2017 - everyone here is just saying how bad it was lol.

(...)

Strongly disagree. Exit hadn't been played in a much longer time and it fucking rocked everyone, even the casuals were freaking out to it. WOWY has been played to death in all tours and it had stopped shining since 2001 BUT it regained some of its spark on the JT30 tour. A Sort Of Homecoming, Dirty Day, Stay, Wild Horses, Two Hearts, October and New Year's Day have been resurrected in the past 2 tours after a long time of not appearing (or appearing very scarcely) and they've all been praised by most fans.

The case of RTSS is obviously different as it is a very delicate song and it's gone through several different shapes through the years, but in general I didn't feel like they did a great job with it. As you very well know Edge isn't the best piano player out there, and overcomplicating a song that's meant to be fragile and intimate isn't the way to go specially if you aren't Rachmaninov or Chopin. And Bono's recent lack of middle range (which is what RTSS is all about!) didn't help either.

Also, which concert did you go to? I'm eager to hear that 80K people singing to RTSS as I'm sure not even 8K sung it in the show I attended
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

Strongly disagree. Exit hadn't been played in a much longer time and it fucking rocked everyone, even the casuals were freaking out to it. WOWY has been played to death in all tours and it had stopped shining since 2001 BUT it regained some of its spark on the JT30 tour. A Sort Of Homecoming, Dirty Day, Stay, Wild Horses, Two Hearts, October and New Year's Day have been resurrected in the past 2 tours after a long time of not appearing (or appearing very scarcely) and they've all been praised by most fans.

The case of RTSS is obviously different as it is a very delicate song and it's gone through several different shapes through the years, but in general I didn't feel like they did a great job with it. As you very well know Edge isn't the best piano player out there, and overcomplicating a song that's meant to be fragile and intimate isn't the way to go specially if you aren't Rachmaninov or Chopin. And Bono's recent lack of middle range (which is what RTSS is all about!) didn't help either.

Also, which concert did you go to? I'm eager to hear that 80K people singing to RTSS as I'm sure not even 8K sung it in the show I attended

What he said

12. "
    hcraveiro
    il y a 3 ans
    I used to work as a volunteer with homeless people and a lot of them were heroin addicted. I knew this guy who I definetely knew was addicted and I was really frustrated because I knew his potential and I knew how damn hard he was wasting his life. One day we were talking about something and he was giving me bullshit and I said "Just stop, you remind me of a song (the guy used to play the guitar, as a matter of fact he carried his guitar everywhere; probably one of the few things he possessed)". And I told him about this song. He tried to know what was this song about and I just told him to just find the song and listen to it. The next day I didn't find him on the streets, neither on the next day. I didn't see him for like 9 months, I thought that he died from an overdose or something. And then he calls me (he didn't have a cellphone before, although sometimes he called me from payphones). He listened to the song and got really moved by it and I guess it was like a click he made back then. He decided to move from Lisbon to the south of Portugal so he wouldn't be around the same people as he was used to. He played the guitar for the tourists in Algarve (Portugal) and one day he was hired to play in a bar. And after that he returned to Lisbon where he managed to get a job also in a bar, playing for the customers. And as I know he is clean now, has a girlfriend he is going to marry and I just hope that the addiction is history.
    So, this song just reminds me how sometimes we have these moments when magic can really happen. This song for me is magical."