1. Originally posted by discohype:[YouTube Video]
    "
    hcraveiro
    il y a 3 ans
    I used to work as a volunteer with homeless people and a lot of them were heroin addicted. I knew this guy who I definetely knew was addicted and I was really frustrated because I knew his potential and I knew how damn hard he was wasting his life. One day we were talking about something and he was giving me bullshit and I said "Just stop, you remind me of a song (the guy used to play the guitar, as a matter of fact he carried his guitar everywhere; probably one of the few things he possessed)". And I told him about this song. He tried to know what was this song about and I just told him to just find the song and listen to it. The next day I didn't find him on the streets, neither on the next day. I didn't see him for like 9 months, I thought that he died from an overdose or something. And then he calls me (he didn't have a cellphone before, although sometimes he called me from payphones). He listened to the song and got really moved by it and I guess it was like a click he made back then. He decided to move from Lisbon to the south of Portugal so he wouldn't be around the same people as he was used to. He played the guitar for the tourists in Algarve (Portugal) and one day he was hired to play in a bar. And after that he returned to Lisbon where he managed to get a job also in a bar, playing for the customers. And as I know he is clean now, has a girlfriend he is going to marry and I just hope that the addiction is history.
    So, this song just reminds me how sometimes we have these moments when magic can really happen. This song for me is magical."
    Oh my god, this is amazing. Bono should hear about this.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

Strongly disagree. Exit hadn't been played in a much longer time and it fucking rocked everyone, even the casuals were freaking out to it. WOWY has been played to death in all tours and it had stopped shining since 2001 BUT it regained some of its spark on the JT30 tour. A Sort Of Homecoming, Dirty Day, Stay, Wild Horses, Two Hearts, October and New Year's Day have been resurrected in the past 2 tours after a long time of not appearing (or appearing very scarcely) and they've all been praised by most fans.

The case of RTSS is obviously different as it is a very delicate song and it's gone through several different shapes through the years, but in general I didn't feel like they did a great job with it. As you very well know Edge isn't the best piano player out there, and overcomplicating a song that's meant to be fragile and intimate isn't the way to go specially if you aren't Rachmaninov or Chopin. And Bono's recent lack of middle range (which is what RTSS is all about!) didn't help either.

Also, which concert did you go to? I'm eager to hear that 80K people singing to RTSS as I'm sure not even 8K sung it in the show I attended

Okay maybe that last bit was an exaggeration, I'll admit - but it was still a lot of people. I'd also say comparing crowd reactions between this song and Exit is a little unfair, because one is a rock band "rocking out" with crazy lights going off etc. - and the other is a slow ballad being held up by nothing but the music and the band performing it.

Not sure what you mean about Edge - didn't he do that on a previous tour too? Either way, I don't think the part he added was all that bad at all - in fact I really like it. Maybe he was doing something later in the tour that he wasn't doing when I saw the show?

Performance I saw: (and I stand by the fact that I think it was really great)
  3. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

Okay maybe that last bit was an exaggeration, I'll admit - but it was still a lot of people. I'd also say comparing crowd reactions between this song and Exit is a little unfair, because one is a rock band "rocking out" with crazy lights going off etc. - and the other is a slow ballad being held up by nothing but the music and the band performing it.

Not sure what you mean about Edge - didn't he do that on a previous tour too? Either way, I don't think the part he added was all that bad at all - in fact I really like it. Maybe he was doing something later in the tour that he wasn't doing when I saw the show?

[YouTube Video]
    I don’t understand what people have said about Edge’s playing either. Certainly didn’t seem like he did anything drastic that changed the overall performance of the song. And that performance sounds pretty great to me, just like it was for pretty much all the tour.
  4. It’s those little extra bits he plays between verses. They’ve always sounded out of tune and unnecessary to my ears. The beauty of the song is it’s almost barren simplicity. Trying to sprinkle a little magic dust on it just never worked in the 2005/2017 versions. IMO of course.
  5. Originally posted by germcevoy:It’s those little extra bits he plays between verses. They’ve always sounded out of tune and unnecessary to my ears. The beauty of the song is it’s almost barren simplicity. Trying to sprinkle a little magic dust on it just never worked in the 2005/2017 versions. IMO of course.
    I understand now, I actually quite liked they bits, didn’t seem like overly complicated additions to the song but I understand how sometimes details like that can put people off certain versions.
  6. Originally posted by germcevoy:It’s those little extra bits he plays between verses. They’ve always sounded out of tune and unnecessary to my ears. The beauty of the song is it’s almost barren simplicity. Trying to sprinkle a little magic dust on it just never worked in the 2005/2017 versions. IMO of course.
    This!

It's a shame because this is one of Bono's finest lyrics ever. EVER.
  7. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

[YouTube Video]
    Of course it's an unfair comparison between RTSS and Exit, I was just mentioning a few songs they have resurrected after a long time (and they sounded great) as a response to your "Ever think there's a correlation between the band not playing a song they haven't played in years and fans being disappointed once they do?".

Toronto was a great concert overall, and even though I can't watch this RTSS video right now I'm sure it was a great version, and I'm very very glad that you enjoyed it that much I was just voicing the sad fact that I didn't have the same luck in Dublin!
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Of course it's an unfair comparison between RTSS and Exit, I was just mentioning a few songs they have resurrected after a long time (and they sounded great) as a response to your "Ever think there's a correlation between the band not playing a song they haven't played in years and fans being disappointed once they do?".

Toronto was a great concert overall, and even though I can't watch this RTSS video right now I'm sure it was a great version, and I'm very very glad that you enjoyed it that much I was just voicing the sad fact that I didn't have the same luck in Dublin!
    Possibly. The rare performances of "Magnificent", "Zoo Station", and similar in 2015, and "Miracle Drug" in 2018, weren't exactly disappointments to some people.
  9. Originally posted by markreed:[..]
    Possibly. The rare performances of "Magnificent", "Zoo Station", and similar in 2015, and "Miracle Drug" in 2018, weren't exactly disappointments to some people.
    I didn't want to mention Magnificent and Miracle Drug because a) they aren't "oldies" and b) they were one-off's unlike the others I mentioned which appeared more often in their tours. But yeah they were very welcome additions too!