1. Originally posted by AllBecauseOfU2Giving this a bump.

I'm just getting into Lovetown...never really paid much attention to it, but after downloading and listening to Spiral's comiplation, I'm beginning to agree with everyone else that this tour is an overlooked gem. Outstanding voice from Bono, stellar perfromances from the band--you can hear all four of them very clearly and individually, but, like always, their performances are flawlessly in tune with each other.

Any thoughts?

Heh, check 1989-10-27 Adelaide, Australia - Memorial Drive Stadium; Bono's voice was absolutely buggered beyond belief, but to be fair it's still a great show (if you can get past the fairly butchered boot - it say 3.5 stars if I remember correctly, but don't trust it with a barge pole. Gerard mentioned something about one re-encode too many or something...).

My favourite still is the New Year's Eve show, that was magical. Am currently downloading the last Rotterdam show (and last of the tour itself) as we speak - God I love MegaUpload lol...

Personally, I'd love some suggestions for a show opened with Hawkmoon 269 that's decent quality-wise; from what I've seen, most of them are 2-3 stars, and I'm warey. However, on other tours (i.e. Vertigo and Elevation) there are some cracking shows (performance and soundwise) with 3 star ratings, so I'm uncertain. Like I say, suggestions are welcome
  2. The four Dublin shows in Dec 1989 were great. The January 1990 Rotterdam shows were on fire!

But there are many of the Aussie shows where they opened with Hawkmoon... Nice!
  3. what show is the Lovetown special from? particularly the version of Hawkmoon, i'm speaking of the TV special of course. Angel in Devils Shoes is the video boot
  4. Originally posted by thefly07what show is the Lovetown special from? particularly the version of Hawkmoon, i'm speaking of the TV special of course. Angel in Devils Shoes is the video boot

it's from Sydney 18/11/89
  5. Originally posted by WojBhoy[..]
    Heh, check 1989-10-27 Adelaide, Australia - Memorial Drive Stadium; Bono's voice was absolutely buggered beyond belief, but to be fair it's still a great show (if you can get past the fairly butchered boot - it say 3.5 stars if I remember correctly, but don't trust it with a barge pole. Gerard mentioned something about one re-encode too many or something...).

My favourite still is the New Year's Eve show, that was magical. Am currently downloading the last Rotterdam show (and last of the tour itself) as we speak - God I love MegaUpload lol...

Personally, I'd love some suggestions for a show opened with Hawkmoon 269 that's decent quality-wise; from what I've seen, most of them are 2-3 stars, and I'm warey. However, on other tours (i.e. Vertigo and Elevation) there are some cracking shows (performance and soundwise) with 3 star ratings, so I'm uncertain. Like I say, suggestions are welcome

I'll download that Adelaide show next then. Damn, it might bring me down from hearing Bono's great voice on the other shows, but ah well.

New Year's Eve show - AMAZING. That version of All Along the Watchtower is fantastic, my favorite of all time.

For Hawkmoon 269 - a pretty good version is 1989-10-08 Melbourne. Not fantastic quality, but a good performance.
  6. I love my X-Mas at the Point Depot show (26 December '89)... it might be better than New Year's for me. Streets is really amazing from X-Mas.

However, yes, All Along the Watchtower is absolutely stunning at New Year's. My favorite (U2) performance of that song ever.
  7. Originally posted by digitizeI love my X-Mas at the Point Depot show (26 December '89)... it might be better than New Year's for me. Streets is really amazing from X-Mas.

However, yes, All Along the Watchtower is absolutely stunning at New Year's. My favorite (U2) performance of that song ever.

Listen to WOWY, awesome...
  8. Originally posted by WojBhoy[..]

Amsterdam 1989-12-18 is pretty good I guess. I haven't heard it myself, but the audio quality is 4 stars and Hawkmoon has 2 song contributions.

9. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979The four Dublin shows in Dec 1989 were great. The January 1990 Rotterdam shows were on fire!

But there are many of the Aussie shows where they opened with Hawkmoon... Nice!

Yeah, I need to get hold of some more Dublin shows - I have the New Year's Eve show, one of my favourite, as do I need to get the 3rd and 4th shows, but they're multiple RS files and I hate RS so it may be some time lol...

...as for the Oz shows, I know some opened with Hawkmoon but like I said, the quality is questionable - some of the ratings are a bit generous from my experience lol...
    Originally posted by AllBecauseOfU2[..]

I'll download that Adelaide show next then. Damn, it might bring me down from hearing Bono's great voice on the other shows, but ah well.

[..]

Nah, like I say, once you're accustomed to the actual sound (or lack of), it's a great show which makes up for the off day Bono has
    Originally posted by RDB92[..]

Amsterdam 1989-12-18 is pretty good I guess. I haven't heard it myself, but the audio quality is 4 stars and Hawkmoon has 2 song contributions.

Yeah, you get that Amsterdam rendition as part of the bonus material from the final Rotterdam show, an extra 9 tracks from some previous Rotterdam shows too + the Hawkmoon performance - laaav it. I think I may get the whole show in due course, the 1989-12-18 one I mean
  10. It occured to me today that Lovetown contains some best versions of several songs IMO

Examples:

- Running to Stand Still - 1990-01-06
    - All I Want Is You - 1989-12-26
    - Bad - 1990-01-10
    - Desire - 1990-01-10
    - People Get Ready - 1989-12-27
    - Angel Of Harlem - 1989-12-26
    - Love Rescue Me - 1989-12-26
    - One Tree Hill - 1989-12-26
    - Where The Streets Have No Name - 1989-12-26 (doubtfull but the best IMO)
    - The Unforgettable Fire - 1990-01-06 (also doubtfull though)
    - 40 - 1989-12-31

11. i'm just re-discovering the joys of lovetown actually! i downloaded a whole bunch of lovetown shows a couple of years ago but deleted nearly all of them cos they were pretty much unlistenable. the only two that i kept were the last osaka show and the last overall show (rotterdam). i've listened to parts of the rotterdam show loads the last 2 years and i love it -especially the final encore of 11 o'clock, out of control and 40 which just blows me away -you can really tell they knew they were going away for an unspecified amount of time and they just gave it absolutely EVERYTHING for those last 3 songs.

but i've suddenly found myself listening to both shows constantly for the last few weeks and decided i love this tour! i just downloaded the point xmas show and it is truly awesome! i plan to get all the dublin shows.

the only thing is that the majority of the recordings (most of the aussie dates) seem to be pretty bad quality. i'm downloading the amsterdam show as i speak simply because (i think) its the only decent quality show that has hawkmoon, in gods country and unforgettable fire... only problem is i know this is the show where bonos voice went into self destruct and they had to cancel the show(s)
  12. Originally posted by ric:

i'm just re-discovering the joys of lovetown actually! i downloaded a whole bunch of lovetown shows a couple of years ago but deleted nearly all of them cos they were pretty much unlistenable. the only two that i kept were the last osaka show and the last overall show (rotterdam). i've listened to parts of the rotterdam show loads the last 2 years and i love it -especially the final encore of 11 o'clock, out of control and 40 which just blows me away -you can really tell they knew they were going away for an unspecified amount of time and they just gave it absolutely EVERYTHING for those last 3 songs.

but i've suddenly found myself listening to both shows constantly for the last few weeks and decided i love this tour! i just downloaded the point xmas show and it is truly awesome! i plan to get all the dublin shows.

the only thing is that the majority of the recordings (most of the aussie dates) seem to be pretty bad quality. i'm downloading the amsterdam show as i speak simply because (i think) its the only decent quality show that has hawkmoon, in gods country and unforgettable fire... only problem is i know this is the show where bonos voice went into self destruct and they had to cancel the show(s)

Download all Point Depot shows and Rotterdam shows...they all rock hard, very hard..