1. Well, I have to admit that POPMart is underrated, but it's clearely NOT their best era.

---
    1st, the Album which PoPMart supports is not a gem. Still being good, with awesome tracks as Please, WUDM and Staring At The Sun, but it's not their best.

2nd, the Tour was supposed to be a Zoo TV-continuing, and it was WRONG. Zoo TV had its moment, and after 93, it couldn't be reached.

3rd, Even having very good moments (accoustic songs, the awesome transition of Please-Streets, etc) it has too much pre-recorded songs and samples.

4th, Bono's voice was clearely the worst ever (although Vertigo's one has reached this level...). That made the shows painful to listen, even being there.
    ---

So, what are you going to be say now? I admit the good points, but YOU have to admit tha bad ones...
  2. I would'nt say the shows were painful to listen to even if his voice was not the best
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong
    ---

So, what are you going to be say now?

I don't say it's their best tour either. For me it's on par with Zooropa/Zoomerang/New Zooland

To answer your points:

1st: It IS a gem.
    2nd. The tour was the consequent development of ZooTV. From a satire of television and media to a satire of consumerism. From a big TV show to a big Supermarket.
    3rd. I don't think that too much was sampled, maybe a little more than on other tours but not too much. The live versions of the Pop songs are rather stripped down.
    4th. That might be a point. Although there are very few shows where his voice was really bad. Being there, the shows weren't painful to listen to at all (at least those I've been to). Who the hell did tell you that?
  4. Originally posted by yeahFor me it's on par with Zooropa/Zoomerang/New Zooland
    Right then...
    Originally posted by yeahTo answer your points:

Which kind of argument is that? Of course I understand you like it, but you can't say "it IS" as if you had the absolute truth on your keyboard...
    Originally posted by yeah2nd. The tour was the consequent development of ZooTV. From a satire of television and media to a satire of consumerism. From a big TV show to a big Supermarket.
    Nice two sentences, I must agree with you. But the fact is that, even being a great satire of Consumism and Capitalism, it's still a poor imitation of Zoo TV.
    And their audience had already seen Zoo TV.
    Originally posted by yeah3rd. I don't think that too much was sampled, maybe a little more than on other tours but not too much. The live versions of the Pop songs are rather stripped down.
    Humm... I think that about the 95% of Mofo and Discoteque was pre-recorded... The rest of the songs, also had a pre-recorded background (you as a trader should know it, in the SBD recordings the samples are clear as water...).
    Originally posted by yeah4th. That might be a point. Although there are very few shows where his voice was really bad. Being there, the shows weren't painful to listen to at all (at least those I've been to). Who the hell did tell you that?
    It was a way of talking, of course they weren't painful (although Sarajevo IS REALLY painful to listen)... They were nice shows to be there...

So, common points, also distant arguments... I'm going to bed now, so we can keep on this discussion tomorrow, dear German Trader...
  5. i love POPMart i think over time it will get the respect it deserves. it was technically better than ZOO TV in production i would have loved to have seen it in person. I think it is probably the 3rd best era.

1. ZOO TV
    2. Vertigo
    3. POPMart

idk if POP is better than Vertigo but basically ZOO TV is #1 forever.
  6. 5 reasons why I think it's one of the best eras of U2

1. I love the Pop album, great songs with great riffs (I love to play guitar with this album )
    2. They looked so cool back in 1997 (especially Edge)
    3. The Popmart, for me, is their best and too underrated by the fans... (and contrary to several people here, I don't very like ZOO TV and Achtung Baby, think they're too overrated by fans, sorry , but i love Zooropa), great songs are Gone, Please with Streets, Last Night on Earth, Mofo (great opener), I Will Follow, Mysterious Ways, HMTMKMKM, etc...
    4. The lemon
    5. The funny clip of Discothèque (with the disco Gibson LesPaul)

Seriously, I listen a lot to Popmart shows and Pop, and I don't know how people and the group himself says that the album is bad and Bono's vocals are bad

But there's one thing I hate: the single version of Please. Seriously, this version sucks compared to the album version. The strings are too much and Bono sings with no passion.

I love the album version because:
    - it's raw and great
    - the funky bridge instead of strings
    - Bono vocals + emotion (leave me out of this please at the end of the 2nd chorus )
    - some people says the bass is out of key: I think fits perfectly (as a musician)

So this is my general opinion of Popmart
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong
    Which kind of argument is that

Same as this:
    Originally posted by LikeASongthe Album which PoPMart supports is not a gem. Still being good, [...] but it's not their best.

Originally posted by LikeASongit's still a poor imitation of Zoo TV

I still don't see where you see the imitation. Like I said before, to me it's a logical consequence.
    What parts of Popmart remind you of Zoo TV?

Originally posted by LikeASong
    I think that about the 95% of Mofo and Discoteque was pre-recorded... The rest of the songs, also had a pre-recorded background

Agreed on Mofo. That's one song. The rest has the usual U2 tricks, Discothèque has only the organ pre-recorded or played under the stage. Miami and Gone have that sampled loop. That's all I can think of offhanded. I might miss some. What other songs do you mean?
    And don't name Pride, Streets, IWF, WOWY, Bad... Those have pre recorded vocals, parts, sequencers etc. for years, as well as a bunch of the Elevation and Vertigo songs. Can't think of many songs that don't have a little 'extra' live. And as long as they're still playing their instruments I'm fine with it.

8. pre-recorded vocals?. I know they add loops and keyboard parts and stuff but vocals?
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong
    Originally posted by yeah: To answer your points:

Which kind of argument is that? Of course I understand you like it, but you can't say "it IS" as if you had the absolute truth on your keyboard...

Sorry to say but this is an obnoxious statement isn't it? Yeah has every right to his opinion as you do yours. However not once in your statement did you say "i THINK that..." or "in MY opinion...". You laid everything out like its a fact and when he did the same, you ask if he has the absolute truth on your keyboard? Do you?

Though Popmart wasn't my favorite era (don't have one, their too different to compare), I love what they did with it. I don't think it was an extension of ZooTV, it was a completely different beast. I don't think the songs were finished but I don't have a problem with that; POP was the Unforgettable Fire of the ZooTV era in my opinion. Individually the songs said one thing, but together, there was point to be made, an atmosphere to be created and regardless that the songs weren't complete, the point got across.

My criticism of the CD would be the tracklisting. Change it around a bit and it has a very cool vibe to it. Playboy Mansion, Velvet Dress and Last Night on Earth are not just gems, they're diamonds to my eyes; I love them. Streaks of light in their darkest album yet.

But (and I know I'm ranting and rambling now), I've gotta say, U2's albums and career have an arc to them. From inexperienced Boy to Unforgettable Fire's adolesence. Joshua Tree has the feeling of expanding from the morning into the day. Achtung Baby has the feel of a crazy, wild, life-changing night. Out of control parties, self searching, the whole works. POP feels like the night's gone TOO far out of control and realizing you don't want to be where you are. It stretches awkwardly into early morning. Then ATYCLB is the next day, a new beautiful chance at a whole new world. Does that make sense?

In that sense, POP accomplishes the transistion beautifully and is, tour, raspy bono voice, unfinished songs and all, a gem.

In my humble opinion
  10. Originally posted by LikeASongHumm... I think that about the 95% of Mofo and Discoteque was pre-recorded... The rest of the songs, also had a pre-recorded background (you as a trader should know it, in the SBD recordings the samples are clear as water...).

In ZOO TV, the intro of Zoo Station, the intro of Mysterious Ways, strings on One, Numb, synthetisers on Dirty Day, drums and weird sounds on Daddy's Gonna's Pay For Your Crashed Car, organ for Streets, synth for With or Without You, the organ of Love is Blindness, the intro of Ultraviolet, etc... were sampled/pre-recorded... so I think it's a majority of the songs so you can't tell Popmart is a "pre-recorded" show
  11. Originally posted by germcevoypre-recorded vocals?. I know they add loops and keyboard parts and stuff but vocals?

It's no major parts, no lip synching or anything.
    But listen to the chorus of Beautiful Day on Live 8 for an example.
  12. Originally posted by yeah[..]

It's no major parts, no lip synching or anything.
    But listen to the chorus of Beautiful Day on Live 8 for an example.

i'm gna watch Live Aid/Live 8 (U2 parts tonight). Being the anniversary and all that. I'll check it out then