1. Wow!! So simple! But this will help me use the correct term in translation. Thank you for the clarification, my friend!
  2. I think there's a bit more metaphor to it; Adam & Larry (particularly Larry) have always been, (or at least at the time of the book / AB) certain to not disguise themselves or dress things up. In the context of the metaphor, Adam & Larry are the type that would say "Hey, my hair is messy....I need a haircut." - meaning the band is in disarray, or the song needs to be polished because the Chord doesn't work etc etc - but the solution is to work with what you've got. Putting on a hat (i.e. Bono & The Edge) would be looking for what they could add to the ensemble - meaning additional technology, a different instrument, or changing recording studios - which would be to add to what already exists. I don't think Lanois' directly accusing Bono & The Edge of intentionally trying to derail U2, , but he is trying to make the point that "Hey, you're U2....don't try to pretend to be anything else." Sometimes going to the extreme of 'Hats' can distance one from who you really (there's like a million movies in Hollywood about that, and only half of them have Merryl Streep) I seem to remember a similar story during the writing of Beautiful Day where The Edge is playing it, and Bono says "don't play that, it sounds too much like U2" where The Edge responds "$#%^-Off Bono....we are U2." Though that may be a rumour (I've no source to back it up) it does sound plausible!
  3. I was trying to keep it simple for the translation !!
  4. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:[..]
    I think there's a bit more metaphor to it; Adam & Larry (particularly Larry) have always been, (or at least at the time of the book / AB) certain to not disguise themselves or dress things up. In the context of the metaphor, Adam & Larry are the type that would say "Hey, my hair is messy....I need a haircut." - meaning the band is in disarray, or the song needs to be polished because the Chord doesn't work etc etc - but the solution is to work with what you've got. Putting on a hat (i.e. Bono & The Edge) would be looking for what they could add to the ensemble - meaning additional technology, a different instrument, or changing recording studios - which would be to add to what already exists. I don't think Lanois' directly accusing Bono & The Edge of intentionally trying to derail U2, , but he is trying to make the point that "Hey, you're U2....don't try to pretend to be anything else." Sometimes going to the extreme of 'Hats' can distance one from who you really (there's like a million movies in Hollywood about that, and only half of them have Merryl Streep) I seem to remember a similar story during the writing of Beautiful Day where The Edge is playing it, and Bono says "don't play that, it sounds too much like U2" where The Edge responds "$#%^-Off Bono....we are U2." Though that may be a rumour (I've no source to back it up) it does sound plausible!
    Great! Excellent explanation! I loved the concept of Hats and Haircuts looking from this point of view. Thank you!
  5. Yes! And you helped me a lot. I was not sure how to translate those words. Now I have not only a good word in Portuguese, but an excellent explanation of the meaning behind that word. Thank you both!