1. For those running Windows XP, I don't know if you've heard Brian Eno's welcome sound. It's sort of relaxing - not really a U2 thing but a very nice little tune if I don't say so myself.

==========================================================================================

Click Start > Run and type the following (or copy and paste) the following line:
    C:\Windows\System32\oobe\images\title.wma

The Windows Welcome Music is the 5 minute and 24 second song that plays when the user is required to enter information such as the user's name, whether Automatic Updates should be turned on and registration information. It is an ambient mix of what sounds like xylophones, steel drums, and computer-generated notes. About 3 minutes and 52 seconds in, there is chanting. The song is found under the filename "title.wma" in the following directory: C:\Windows\System32\oobe\images\. It was composed by Brian Eno, whose previous work for Microsoft includes the original startup sound for Windows 95.

As far as I know, he was also commissioned to do the Vista startup sound (all three seconds of it) and that got scrapped for Robert Fripp's version.

==========================================================================================

Maybe some album influences?

And an interview about "The Microsoft Sound" with Eno in 1996:

The idea came up at the time when I was completely bereft of ideas. I’d been working on my own music for a while and was quite lost, actually. And I really appreciated someone coming along and saying, “Here’s a specific problem — solve it.”

The thing from the agency said, “We want a piece of music that is inspiring, universal, blah- blah, da-da-da, optimistic, futuristic, sentimental, emotional,” this whole list of adjectives, and then at the bottom it said “and it must be 3 1/4 seconds long.”

I thought this was so funny and an amazing thought to actually try to make a little piece of music. It’s like making a tiny little jewel.

In fact, I made 84 pieces. I got completely into this world of tiny, tiny little pieces of music. I was so sensitive to microseconds at the end of this that it really broke a logjam in my own work. Then when I’d finished that and I went back to working with pieces that were like three minutes long, it seemed like oceans of time.
  2. This is really funny, never knew Brian Eno had anything to do with Microsoft tunes.
  3. Here is a mini doc about the Apollo album featuring Eno and Lanois.