1. Umh, vaguely correct lyrics would be nice for a change, whole-band instead of just Edge and Bono, a version where all four have a clue about which parts to play when. Red Rocks is quite powerful, even with the bum note in the solo.
  2. A lot of casual would know the album tracks that weren't singles thanks to streaming via Spotify and iTunes everyone knows SOI whether they wanted to or not so I think they'll play some songs from that and SOE but as it's a very short tour they could extend the set list from what they normally play to appease the masses.
  3. sadly, the casuals went "meh" with acrobat
  4. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    I agree that Heartland probably isn't on the table, but I don't think it'd empty a stadium like you think it would. You throw that song up with some powerful visuals and a strong performance from the band, and it'd be something worth watching - for sure. It's a very emotive song with a classic U2 sound to boot.

Fair point and argument, but I think there were plenty of stunning, breathtaking visuals (and performances to match) of the Joshua Tree songs that were still lost on casuals - and I'm not saying they're not worth watching, but its hard for me to argue that Heartland has a place in the set.

A "decent" performance of Heartland would be lost on everyone in the building. A "stellar" performance of Heartland would please die-hards and few others. It's just not worth it.

Honestly I think it's the exact same reason they never cared about Crystal Ballroom. They can deliver the most spot-on, rocking performance of that song imaginable, and less than half the room is going to even know what's going on. Nobody that goes to the show for the war-horses is walking out going, "But man, what was that random song we'd never heard before? The one they played on the B-stage in the middle of the show, sort of during the acoustic-ish part?"

U2 shows are such statements themselves, that underwhelming or lesser-known performances actually stick out like sore thumbs. For better or worse.
  5. Originally posted by popmarter:A lot of casual would know the album tracks that weren't singles thanks to streaming via Spotify and iTunes everyone knows SOI whether they wanted to or not so I think they'll play some songs from that and SOE but as it's a very short tour they could extend the set list from what they normally play to appease the masses.
    your last point is what I hope will happen. It's a short tour, give it all for the fans who deserve it, play longer setlists and include both SOI + SOE in the mix.
  6. Originally posted by popmarter:A lot of casual would know the album tracks that weren't singles thanks to streaming via Spotify and iTunes everyone knows SOI whether they wanted to or not so I think they'll play some songs from that and SOE but as it's a very short tour they could extend the set list from what they normally play to appease the masses.

Seriously? People have Spotify now, so songs like If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Wild Honey, Heartland, Another Time Another Place, Crumbs From Your Table, The First Time, etc...

are seeing a surge in popularity? Nah.
  7. Originally posted by MattG:[..]

Seriously? People have Spotify now, so songs like If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Wild Honey, Heartland, Another Time Another Place, Crumbs From Your Table, The First Time, etc...

are seeing a surge in popularity? Nah.
    I'm talking about SOI and SOE which have a lot of streams on spotify .
  8. Ah, gotcha
  9. Originally posted by MattG:[..]

Fair point and argument, but I think there were plenty of stunning, breathtaking visuals (and performances to match) of the Joshua Tree songs that were still lost on casuals - and I'm not saying they're not worth watching, but its hard for me to argue that Heartland has a place in the set.

A "decent" performance of Heartland would be lost on everyone in the building. A "stellar" performance of Heartland would please die-hards and few others. It's just not worth it.

Honestly I think it's the exact same reason they never cared about Crystal Ballroom. They can deliver the most spot-on, rocking performance of that song imaginable, and less than half the room is going to even know what's going on. Nobody that goes to the show for the war-horses is walking out going, "But man, what was that random song we'd never heard before? The one they played on the B-stage in the middle of the show, sort of during the acoustic-ish part?"

U2 shows are such statements themselves, that underwhelming or lesser-known performances actually stick out like sore thumbs. For better or worse.
    Certainly was a lot of people going to the bathroom when they played Volcano in London.
  10. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Side 2 of TJT was fantastic live One tree hill,Exit,In Gods Country,TTYW ,Mother's all got a huge reaction at the 2 shows I was at .Acrobat needs to be played it was a huge success on the last tour and the Oz fans deserve to hear it after missing out on the last 3 tours .I can definitely see them playing more R&H songs on this tour Angel of Harlem,Desire and All I want is you need to be regulars but who knows for certain what they have planned as I think it will be a lot different to the 2017 tour.

Unless you were in the crush, Side two of TJT didn't always grip the audience. The show took a energy drip from Bullet onto the end of MOTD. I think the band would be missing a trick if they didn't put an SOI/SOE miniset at one end of the show, and a bucket of hits near the end.
  11. I think all the comments about the crowd not getting into certain songs are fair but they’ve always had these songs in the set. In the early days maybe it would be different but I think that was more to do with the band playing in venues small enough that the fans attending were into all of there work. When they play big arenas and stadiums the only way they could engage the majority of the crowd for all the show is to play hits only and thankfully they’ve never resorted to that. The band aren’t stupid they know that playing Summer Of Love isn’t going to get the crowd buzzing the same way that Streets would, they know that 13 isn’t going to end the show the same way 40 did on I&E, but they’re trying and to me succeeding in keeping things interesting and engaging that smaller percentage of there audience that appreciates there work beyond the hits. A crowd doesn’t need to be loud or jumping about crazy to enjoy a song and I think the band actually enjoy challenging there audience for at least a certain amount of there shows, playing songs that most people aren’t there to here but maybe a certain few will go I really liked that song why have I not paid attention to it before. Or maybe they’ll never listen to it again but at the time they could quietly appreciate it. Some people will just go for a beer but it’s there loss, I’ve never seen a big chunk of a venue empty mid song with exception of closing songs.