1. two bands and artist (Sting) I need to sit down and get to know the catalogy... I only know the big hits... Any recomendations of some not known songs?
  2. Originally posted by cqleonardo:two bands and artist (Sting) I need to sit down and get to know the catalogy... I only know the big hits... Any recomendations of some not known songs?
    Go for the full albums...
    From The Police I'd start with the first (Outlandos d'amour) and the last (Synchronicity) (which imho is like suggesting Boy and Joshua Tree).

From Sting... I guess The Dream Of The Blue Turtles is the easier one to listen, but I love The Soul Cages more...

From Straits, Making Movies and Brothers In Arms... And live there's Alchemy, which is amazing.
  3. Still don't understand how these two bands ended up sharing one thread

For me the best Dire Straits album remains the first (Dire Straits), while I like Ghost In The Machine as best Police album.
    These albums couldn't be further apart, but I like them each in their own way.

O, and I do have the pleasure of a handshake by Mark Knopfler..and a signed tourbook of Sailing To Philadelphia

(Of course, I never had any dealings with the police whatsoever )
  4. Originally posted by cqleonardo:two bands and artist (Sting) I need to sit down and get to know the catalogy... I only know the big hits... Any recomendations of some not known songs?
    A quick list of my fav Police & Sting songs:

Synchronicity II
    Don't Stand So Close To Me
    Bring on the Night (if possible, paired with When the World Is Running Down as in Sting's first live album)
    Message in a Bottle
    Roxanne
    Wrapped Around Your Finger
    Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
    King Of Pain
    Walking On The Moon

The whole of The Dream Of The Blue Turtles, specially Fortress Around Your Heart, Children's Crusade, Moon Over Bourbon St. and We Work the Black Seam.
    Desert Rose
    Englishman in New York
    Shape Of My Heart
    Fields of Gold
    Seven Days
    They Dance Alone
    Fragile
    It's Probably Me (the single version with Eric Clapton and the zippo sample, not the Summoner's Tale version)
    I Can't Stop Thinking About You
    I Hung My Head
    The Empty Chair
    Why Should I Cry For You?

My Dire Straits favs:

Sultans Of Swing (NOT the single version without the epic solo. If possible, live from their 1985 tour)
    Tunnel Of Love (live from Alchemy album)
    Romeo And Juliet
    Skateaway
    Telegraph Road
    Private Investigations (live)
    Your Latest Trick
    Ride Across The River
    The Man's Too Strong
    Once Upon A Time In The West (live from Alchemy album)
    Single Handed Sailor
    Where Do You Think You're Going? (the alternate take is even better than the album version imo)
    On Every Street
    You And Your Friend
    Brothers In Arms
    The whole of Alchemy, which still ranks as my #1 live album ever, better than U2's UABRS, Zeppelin's How The West Was Won, The Who's Live At Leeds, Queen At Wembley, etc etc. Alchemy is just perfect.

"Luckily" for you, both bands had a rather short career and their discographies aren't as long and deep as U2's, so you can get to know most/all of their songs in a rather short period of time and choose your own favs

5. My fault Back in 2006 we weren't that tidy, haha. I loved (and love) these two bands and both of their frontmans solo, so I thought opening a single thread for all of them at once was like the definitive idea.

Ha.
  6. Low Life is a great Police b-side. I don't like Sting's version on Bring On The Night. The studio version is far better.

Walking On The Moon, Tea In The Sahara, De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, Invisible Sun, Born In The '50's, Be My Girl - Sally (it's pretty funny), Walking In Your Footsteps are all great songs imo.

Sting wise, I like Lazarus Heart, Russians, Be Still My Beating Heart, Brand New Day, Seven Days, If I Ever Lose My Faith In You, The Empty Chair, Fields of Gold, Shape Of My Heart.

Sting live in Tokyo 1988 is great. Lazarus Heart + Too Much Information <3

I don't care about Dire Straits.
  7. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:Low Life is a great Police b-side. I don't like Sting's version on Bring On The Night. The studio version is far better.

Walking On The Moon, Tea In The Sahara, De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, Invisible Sun, Born In The '50's, Be My Girl - Sally (it's pretty funny), Walking In Your Footsteps are all great songs imo.

Sting wise, I like Lazarus Heart, Russians, Be Still My Beating Heart, Brand New Day, Seven Days, If I Ever Lose My Faith In You, The Empty Chair, Fields of Gold, Shape Of My Heart.

Sting live in Tokyo 1988 is great. Lazarus Heart + Too Much Information <3

I don't care about Dire Straits.
    Low Life has been one of my morning alarms for years.

Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I love waking up, I love the feeling of a new day ahead of me, starting fresh with a thousand opportunities to do better, love better, live better. I'm not one of those who end up hating their wake-up alarm song. I've used many of my favorite songs to wake up for years and it's only a way to start my day with a smile. Waking up to a generic Android tune would be much more boring, sad and lame.

Just for the record, I have 6 different alarms for my different day to day scheduled things. Red Flag Day has just replaced Sting's Low Life.

Love it! But Sting's version is SO SO SO MUCH BETTER than The Police's imo.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    A quick list of my fav Police & Sting songs:

Synchronicity II
    Bring on the Night (if possible, paired with When the World Is Running Down as in Sting's first live album)
    Message in a Bottle
    Roxanne
    Wrapped Around Your Finger
    Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
    King Of Pain
    Walking On The Moon

The whole of The Dream Of The Blue Turtles, specially Fortress Around Your Heart, Children's Crusade, Moon Over Bourbon St. and We Work the Black Seam.
    Desert Rose
    Englishman in New York
    Shape Of My Heart
    Fields of Gold
    Seven Days
    They Dance Alone
    Fragile
    It's Probably Me (the single version with Eric Clapton and the zippo sample, not the Summoner's Tale version)
    I Can't Stop Thinking About You
    I Hung My Head
    The Empty Chair
    Why Should I Cry For You?

My Dire Straits favs:

Sultans Of Swing (NOT the single version without the epic solo. If possible, live from their 1985 tour)
    Tunnel Of Love (live from Alchemy album)
    Romeo And Juliet
    Skateaway
    Telegraph Road
    Private Investigations (live)
    Your Latest Trick
    Ride Across The River
    The Man's Too Strong
    Once Upon A Time In The West (live from Alchemy album)
    Single Handed Sailor
    Where Do You Think You're Going? (the alternate take is even better than the album version imo)
    On Every Street
    You And Your Friend
    Brothers In Arms
    The whole of Alchemy, which still ranks as my #1 live album ever, better than U2's UABRS, Zeppelin's How The West Was Won, The Who's Live At Leeds, Queen At Wembley, etc etc. Alchemy is just perfect.

"Luckily" for you, both bands had a rather short career and their discographies aren't as long and deep as U2's, so you can get to know most/all of their songs in a rather short period of time and choose your own favs
    I'm gonna watch another episode of The Punisher and dig in to this, thanks amigo
  9. Well don't forget the fantastic double live album "Bring on the night" by Sting.still one of My favourite album of all time.saw it live in Italy when i was a kid.fantastic.an album that i still play now 30 yrs later.
    As Alchemy a musthave live album.the ones you can't live without.absolutely.