1. soooo...I've been wondering for some time now...is it "some pray for - comma - others steal" or "some pray for - as in because - others steal"?!
  2. Originally posted by Ali709:soooo...I've been wondering for some time now...is it "some pray for - comma - others steal" or "some pray for - as in because - others steal"?!

The first one, I guess.
  3. Yeah, some pray, some steal. Great lyrics...
  4. some pray for, others steal, blessings are not just for the ones who kneel. great lyric, it has some kind of contradiction in it.
  5. 2005-04-27 - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - GM Place
    U2 shoot a video for City Of Blinding Lights

01. City Of Blinding Lights
    02. City Of Blinding Lights
    03. Hokey Pokey
    04. City Of Blinding Lights
    05. City Of Blinding Lights
    06. City Of Blinding Lights
    07. City Of Blinding Lights

encore(s):
    08. Vertigo
    09. All Because Of You
    10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / No Regrets (snippet)
  6. I know, the whole song has great lyrics.
    The thing is that both options would make sense and have a nice message.
    Option 1: as you guys said, some people pray and others steal...though he could just use "and" instead of "for"!
    Option 2: some pray because other people steal...that is, they don't pray to get closer to God, they just pray to protect themselves from other people. This would go well with the blessings line too.
  7. Brilliant song City Of Blinding lights

Some pray for others steal
    really means ''I think'' some pray for their impossible wishes
    while others steal ''are not so patient or humble..
    but so many interpretations can be brought forward though.
    Anyhow I dont think he means blessings arn't just for the ones who kneel, luckily meaning that the thief is blessed because even though the thief reaps its not without grim consequence, in a real world and biblical world
    The song does kinda contradict bible knowledge, because a thief is highly regarded as a sinner, and would have to work hard and in some cases pay back.
    Thieves are only blessed because they can be forgiven but they have to kneel to be forgiven so I dont think Bono put much though in that verse even though it sounds great!
  8. Well I don't think he's going into it in a biblical way...he's saying that blessings are not just for those who kneel, "those who kneel" representing the really religious people.
    From what I see, everyone has some blessings in their life, be it from God, karma, luck or whatever they believe in, and this is what I think the line is referring to. You don't have to be a strict believer to get blessings.
  9. Originally posted by Ali709:soooo...I've been wondering for some time now...is it "some pray for - comma - others steal" or "some pray for - as in because - others steal"?!

Over 5 years bump! Wow

This discussion can actually go in the Misheard lyrics or quotes topic - in fact I think it was discussed there some time ago

10. haha, oh yea, I'm the bumper
    Sorry about that, wasn't sure where to post it. I thought about that topic, but then I thought it's not really a "misheard" lyric but rather a lyric that I'm confused about. I do tend to over-think stuff
  11. Oh man, I found a right fail by Bono!

I was listening to the 2005 Cardiff version when suddenly...

"The more you know, the less you know..."

12. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:Oh man, I found a right fail by Bono!

I was listening to the 2005 Cardiff version when suddenly...

"The more you know, the less you know..."

I think Remy has been looking for this for a while now