1997-09-23 - Sarajevo
Tour: Popmart
Songs played: 25
Audio recordings: 3
Videos: 1
  1. I had seem them earlier that month of September in Paris in 1997 which was also an emotional performance for different reasons (Diana had died there in the city exactly a week before) and I remember that Bono's voice was absolutely fine.

Thus I was really looking forward to the radio broadcast of the Sarajevo gig but found it an excruciating listen as Bono struggled, almost too difficult to listen to at the time since we thought he may have to stop totally.

That said it was an epic, special, unique night. Only U2 could have arrived at that point and delivered that gig at that time in those circumstances. It was born on a wave of emotion rooted right back to the horrors of the early 90's as we watched in horror, apparently helpless, as Yugoslavia was tearing itself apart.

I had stood there twice at Wembley for Zooropa'93 watching the live satellite link-ups to Sarajevo in admiration for the people & the band for facilitating that. It was uncomfortable watching from an 80,000 fan rock gig but who said U2 don't make demands of their audience.

It is said that the only lesson from history is that you can't learn lessons from history & I feel this is where we find ourselves in 2017 for TJT30.

Respect to Sarajevo, Miss Sarajevo, the people of Bosnia, Miss Syria, the people of Syria & U2 who are still fighting the good fight for awareness.
  2. Originally posted by Edi:I had seem them earlier that month of September in Paris in 1997 which was also an emotional performance for different reasons (Diana had died there in the city exactly a week before) and I remember that Bono's voice was absolutely fine.

Thus I was really looking forward to the radio broadcast of the Sarajevo gig but found it an excruciating listen as Bono struggled, almost too difficult to listen to at the time since we thought he may have to stop totally.

That said it was an epic, special, unique night. Only U2 could have arrived at that point and delivered that gig at that time in those circumstances. It was born on a wave of emotion rooted right back to the horrors of the early 90's as we watched in horror, apparently helpless, as Yugoslavia was tearing itself apart.

I had stood there twice at Wembley for Zooropa'93 watching the live satellite link-ups to Sarajevo in admiration for the people & the band for facilitating that. It was uncomfortable watching from an 80,000 fan rock gig but who said U2 don't make demands of their audience.

It is said that the only lesson from history is that you can't learn lessons from history & I feel this is where we find ourselves in 2017 for TJT30.

Respect to Sarajevo, Miss Sarajevo, the people of Bosnia, Miss Syria, the people of Syria & U2 who are still fighting the good fight for awareness.
    Beautiful post.

The spirit of that show comes through the bootleg. Please to Streets is magical, gives me chills at every listen.
  3. Thank you for talking about this special show...still have my poster
  4. Really been listening to this show recently and it is reallllllllly growing on me, my favorite that no one seems to mention is AIWIS and the Many Rivers snippet. Honestly some of Bonos best vocals in terms of real passion (up there with Streets from Slane, and Bad 89 at Rotterdam, and San Antonio 97 AIWIS with Never Tear Us Apart to name a few) but does he misquote the song? I have struggled understanding what he actually sings in the song. Anyone know what lyrics he sings at the end? Regardless I have always liked this show but this is an easy top 5 now, something about Bono having no voice and still being up there while the band and the people carry him is amazing.
  5. Pride is one of the hardest songs to sing (right) in U2's catalogue.
    Pride is one of the hardest songs to play (right) on guitar in U2's catalogue.

And yet the moment comes to do both things at the same time and The Edge nails both

I love how the first chorus is wobbly and unsure, but the next ones he goes full on and kills them.

6. Originally posted by LikeASong:Pride is one of the hardest songs to sing (right) in U2's catalogue.

And yet the moment comes to do both things at the same time and The Edge nails both

I love how the first chorus is wobbly and unsure, but the next ones he goes full on and kills them.

[YouTube Video]
    Yeah... I think this is one of my favourite Pride... It's different and interesting... one of reasons why Sarajevo was one of the best shows
  7. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    Yeah... I think this is one of my favourite Pride... It's different and interesting... one of reasons why Sarajevo was one of the best shows
    YES! Incredible show.
  8. The Pop Muzik --> Mofo transition is still one of the best

Not to mention possibly the best Mofo performance
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:Pride is one of the hardest songs to sing (right) in U2's catalogue.

[YouTube Video]
    definitely one of the best versions of pride