1. Originally posted by LikeASong:I had never paid too much attention to Stranger In A Strange Land but I'm starting to dig it a lot more lately. It has a certain TUF vibe to it, it's so strange (no pun intended)!
    It probably suffers from 'stale recording syndrome'. If they released or re-recorded the song with a new producer, new life would be breathed into the track. The only recording we have of that track is the dated October sessions one which doesn't sound great to begin with.
  2. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]
    It probably suffers from 'stale recording syndrome'. If they released or re-recorded the song with a new producer, new life would be breathed into the track. The only recording we have of that track is the dated October sessions one which doesn't sound great to begin with.
    To me it sounds better and fresher than many other early 80s songs (which might be better in any other aspect? yes). While it obviously has that distinctive Lillywhite/Windmill sound, it also has a lot of power to it. Maybe it's all a bit subjective and due to the fact that I've listened to it probably less than 95% of the other U2 songs out there

3. Caption This
  4. ^ Will you be back tomorrow, can I mask up tonight?

What I love about October is, yes, it's dated and it's many other things - but it captures a time, and captures a mood and that time perfectly, not polished, not perfect - it's atmospheric, sparse in parts and shows a group still finding their sound - and that's what makes it so good, and so fascinating.

As much as Fire is one of the weakest 80s songs they did - it fits the theme of the album perfectly ... I don't think there's a bad song there - it's certainly a far better effort than War.

Tomorrow and October are probably, to this day, still in the top 10 songs they've ever recorded.
  5. Fan, "Edge, can I get your autograph?"
    Edge, "Is that All?"
    Fan, "Well actually I wouldn't mind your 50's Explorer?"
    Edge, "Can you meet me tomorrow?"
    Fan,"Sure, When do I have to return it?
    Edge, "October, you can give it to my assistant"
    Fan, "What's her name?"
    Edge, "Gloria"
    Fan, "Wasn't she known earlier as...?"
    Edge, "Scarlet"
  6. The 40th edition isn't happening