1. Well, you're right about the time stuff, they were a proffessional band for less than 2 years when they released October....... that's right, fine. But that doesn't make the album sound better as a whole, does it? I mean, the circumstances of a success or a fail don't make it better or worse, the success is the success and the fail is the fail. You can't say that Zooropa is less genious just because they were at their peak back then; therefore you can't say that October is one of their bests just because they were quasi-amateurs!! October is what October is, a very good compilation of fantastic songs (80% of the songs are above 7'5/10 for me)... but not a great album in my opinion.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:Well, you're right about the time stuff, they were a proffessional band for less than 2 years when they released October....... that's right, fine. But that doesn't make the album sound better as a whole, does it? I mean, the circumstances of a success or a fail don't make it better or worse, the success is the success and the fail is the fail. You can't say that Zooropa is less genious just because they were at their peak back then; therefore you can't say that October is one of their bests just because they were quasi-amateurs!! October is what October is, a very good compilation of fantastic songs (80% of the songs are above 7'5/10 for me)... but not a great album in my opinion.

It does, especially when you were gonna be dropped by the record label if you didn't get rid of your drummer who admittedly didn't do a bad job on the album but not a great job either. And aren't some debut albums, let alone the second ones pretty damn good? You should check out Savage Garden's first album and see if that's a good debut right there. And let's not forget U2's own. Hell, they must like it if they play songs off it regularly.

It's about 80% for me - I'd have gotten rid of Fire and Is That All and left it as more of an ambient-sounding record which it is, and have called it Scarlet. And that cover should have been changed too; by god is that the worst U2 cover of all time.

I mean, really? The background is definitely bland but look at their facial expressions!!!

Thankfully it was changed (because a remaster should fix the worst things) and that's how it should have always been.

Adam rescues October big-time! Have a listen to I Threw A Brick - is that not the coolest bass in an early U2 song? I'm not worried whether it failed...hell, half the albums I listen to never even made it into a chart or even had singles released from them anywhere I've seen them. Unfortunately it's just gonna be an album that divides fans - a bit like Pop. The vocals, guitar and drums aren't the best part; that bass is.

Zooropa is an album that could only be done once. No way could U2 replicate what's on that record, even if they think they can 17 years on. It won't happen - no matter how hard they try. Sure, I'd love another Zooropa-style epic (close to it with Moment Of Surrender but so far in the style) so I can dream. The songs I really like on it:

Gloria
    I Fall Down
    I Threw A Brick Through A Window
    Rejoice
    Tomorrow
    October (only the piano)
    With A Shout
    Stranger In A Strange Land
    Scarlet

Is it too religious for some to take in - not something unexpected at the time? But an album is measured usually on how well it will stand up in say 10 or 20 years time. October's been out for over 25 now and as far as I'm concerned it stands up. Only thing missing is a harmonica and that would have made it complete.
  3. One of those albums I never listen to. The 1st half up to Tomorrow is okay (Rejoice and Tomorrow are standouts). Then it goes down pretty quickly. One of their worst only TUF being worse for me.
  4. Scarlet doesn't fit October for me, it sounds sooooooooo TUF-ish... But it's a gorgeous song.

My favorites are, in this order:

October
    Tomorrow
    Rejoice
    I Fall Down
    Gloria
    I Threw A Brick
    Scarlet
    And the rest in no particular order.
  5. I think October is a truly great piece of art and one of the most intense albums they ever recorded. It's at spots so vulnerable that it's like you touch a bare nerve and it has so much urge it almost hurts Almost complete nakedness.

To me October is far, far better than the Joshua Tree. SHOOT ME
  6. Originally posted by noiseless:I think October is a truly great piece of art and one of the most intense albums they ever recorded. It's at spots so vulnerable that it's like you touch a bare nerve and it has so much urge it almost hurts Almost complete nakedness.

To me October is far, far better than the Joshua Tree. SHOOT ME

All that and more. It's raw as all hell and unlike Pop sounds truly unfinished.

As raw as it is I find it easier to listen to than anything else they put out and enjoyable every time.
  7. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

All that and more. It's raw as all hell and unlike Pop sounds truly unfinished.

As raw as it is I find it easier to listen to than anything else they put out and enjoyable every time.

* handshake *

I like raw unfinished way better than slick production

yes it's raw and that's exactly why it sounds real, I love it.
  8. LET US CELEBRATE!!!!

In October, 30 years ago, a relatively unknown Irish band released their second album. It didn't do that well commercially, but it contains a few real gems!

Which song is your favorite on this album, released this month in 1981?
  9. Gloria - most definitely, with Tomorrow a close second. On Wednesday, it would have been 30 years since the 'Gloria' single was released.

Not a very good album in my eyes, for sure U2's worst album, but I agree with you Olof, it does feature a few real gems on it.
  10. And it deserves to be celebrated!! My favorite song on it is the hauntingly beautiful Tomorrow
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:My favorites are, in this order:

October
    Tomorrow
    Rejoice
    I Fall Down
    Gloria
    I Threw A Brick
    Scarlet
    And the rest in no particular order.

My opinion hasn't changed Maybe Tomorrow & October have swapped positions, or maybe they're both tied at 1... But the rest is pretty much the same.
  12. Originally posted by Mr_TrekLET US CELEBRATE!!!!

In October, 30 years ago, a relatively unknown Irish band released their second album. It didn't do that well commercially, but it contains a few real gems!

[YouTube Video]

Which song is your favorite on this album, released this month in 1981?

It's such a beautiful and powerfull song