1. My brother bought the album back in 1981. He was a fan from first start. He saw them the next year at Pinkpop. But he finished after Achtung Baby. I liked the LP a lot especially Gloria, Rejoice, I Fall Down, Tomorrow and ofcourse October. Very notable was the piano on some songs performing by The Edge. My first listen was o.k. but had used to it because of Boy. 2 years later War makes me blowing away, it was overwhelming. I became fan forever.
  2. Great album and very pure comparing with the last album.
  3. play this in full and tell me it does not sound fresh still after all these years. amazing!
  4. Just listened too October all the way through for the first time in awhile and I was bored too tears. Thought I’d do a mini review. Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

Gloria: Good opener. This is generally the song that even people who hate this album seem too like and I can see why. I love the way it starts out “TWO, THREE, FOUR” and then the band starts playing it has a nice little slow section right before it kicks in again at the end.

I fall down: Should be called I fall asleep. Very dull and boring. I don’t actually mind the chorus but everything else makes my ears bleed. I’d say this is one of the weaker songs in U2’s catalogue.

I threw a brick through a window: I think its ironic that one of the lyrics in this song is “going nowhere” when the song literally goes nowhere. It stays at a similar pace the whole way through and when its nearly 5 minuets long thats a problem for me.

Rejoice: I actually don’t mind Rejoice. I think its decent and stands the test of time. Its very catchy and I can listen too it if I’m ever in the mode.

Fire: I like this track its a good pace and is very catchy. Theres really not to much to this one. I guess I like this and rejoice for the same reasons they don’t put you to sleep.

Tomorrow: Love the lyrics on this one. Even though it is probably my least favorite song about bono’s mother I still adore it. I love when it really kicks in and bono sings “ I want you back Tomorrow will you be back tomorrow can I sleep tonight”

October: utterly beautiful song I get that piano melody stuck in my head all the time. Although its much better live as a segway into New Years Day I still love the album version and for me at least its the best song on here.

With a shout: ???????????

Stranger in a strange land: another one of my favorite on the album its one of the few songs on here where I’m really listening too the lyrics.

Scarlet: I would like this song way more if it was the last track but since it isn’t I just don’t get why they even bothered putting it on the album. I really can’t say anything about it musically its bland and the lyrics consist of “Rejoice Rejoice Rejoice”

Is that all: UGHHHHHHHHHH This should be called thank god thats all. Literally one of the worst if not the worst U2 song I don’t know what they were thinking putting this song on here.

Final verdict: 6/10
  5. Originally posted by POPmart07:Just listened too October all the way through for the first time in awhile and I was bored too tears. Thought I’d do a mini review. Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

Gloria: Good opener. This is generally the song that even people who hate this album seem too like and I can see why. I love the way it starts out “TWO, THREE, FOUR” and then the band starts playing it has a nice little slow section right before it kicks in again at the end.

I fall down: Should be called I fall asleep. Very dull and boring. I don’t actually mind the chorus but everything else makes my ears bleed. I’d say this is one of the weaker songs in U2’s catalogue.

I threw a brick through a window: I think its ironic that one of the lyrics in this song is “going nowhere” when the song literally goes nowhere. It stays at a similar pace the whole way through and when its nearly 5 minuets long thats a problem for me.

Rejoice: I actually don’t mind Rejoice. I think its decent and stands the test of time. Its very catchy and I can listen too it if I’m ever in the mode.

Fire: I like this track its a good pace and is very catchy. Theres really not to much to this one. I guess I like this and rejoice for the same reasons they don’t put you to sleep.

Tomorrow: Love the lyrics on this one. Even though it is probably my least favorite song about bono’s mother I still adore it. I love when it really kicks in and bono sings “ I want you back Tomorrow will you be back tomorrow can I sleep tonight”

October: utterly beautiful song I get that piano melody stuck in my head all the time. Although its much better live as a segway into New Years Day I still love the album version and for me at least its the best song on here.

With a shout: ???????????

Stranger in a strange land: another one of my favorite on the album its one of the few songs on here where I’m really listening too the lyrics.

Scarlet: I would like this song way more if it was the last track but since it isn’t I just don’t get why they even bothered putting it on the album. I really can’t say anything about it musically its bland and the lyrics consist of “Rejoice Rejoice Rejoice”

Is that all: UGHHHHHHHHHH This should be called thank god thats all. Literally one of the worst if not the worst U2 song I don’t know what they were thinking putting this song on here.

Final verdict: 6/10
    a) I'd swap With a Shout with Stranger. After several listenings, With a Shout became one of my favorite tracks in this album, while I had to make my own edited version of Stranger to make it last half of what it lasts in the album so I don't fall asleep.

b) I used to agree with you on Brick, but the live versions have made me love this track (specially the "no one..." part). But I totally see what you mean with "going nowhere".

c) I Fall Down... have you listened already to the early live versions of it? they used to play it with guitar instead of piano, and it was way better imho. iirc, Hammersmith Palais at the end of the Boy tour has a nice version.

Like in other of your reviews, I "agree" with you a lot... is just that when you say "ugghhh! this one sucks!", I just say "I don't like it too much"
  6. I just listened to the whole of October for the first time in ages and honestly... it’s a lot better than I remember. While live these songs take on a lot more energy and directness, there’s quite a bit of subtlety and nuance on the record that doesn’t translate live. It’s all more... melodic, I suppose, than I remember.
  7. when I became a fan i disliked the album, on the last years I started to love it... the only songs that I really believe are weak are Fire, Land and Is That All
  8. Listening to I Fall Down a lot lately. It popped up on a random shuffle of U2 songs. I sort of forgot about it, but it really is a good song. I would love to hear it live, not that that is very likely.
  9. New release out tomorrow.
  10. Originally posted by FromMEtoU2:Listening to I Fall Down a lot lately. It popped up on a random shuffle of U2 songs. I sort of forgot about it, but it really is a good song. I would love to hear it live, not that that is very likely.
    It often gets overlooked (and the studio version doesn't really cut it, it got so so much better live) but I really really love it too Possibly Bono's first attempt at the famous 3rd person writing he wanted to develop in NLOTH?
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It often gets overlooked (and the studio version doesn't really cut it, it got so so much better live) but I really really love it too Possibly Bono's first attempt at the famous 3rd person writing he wanted to develop in NLOTH?
    I've been trying to find a really good live version (video and sound) on Youtube but with little success. Anyone have any luck? I know it was the 80s, and we're not talking HD cameras, but still, there must be something out there...
  12. There should be Some JT ‘87 soundboars/ pro shots out there