1. Originally posted by MattG:[..]
    I would say the same for The Fly.

Visually stunning on ZooTV, but musically even the band has said they didn't nail it until the Vertigo Tour (outlier Elevation Tour version aside, which almost exists as its own U2 song to me)
    I agree the Fly was better in later tours also, my favoured version of that is on 360 (I agree that the elevation version is almost stand alone, so different and so brilliant). Ultraviolet 360 is also my favourite then after that generally I prefer zoo tv versions of Achtung baby songs although one was good on the elevation tour also slane being particularly good.
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I agree the Fly was better in later tours also, my favoured version of that is on 360 (I agree that the elevation version is almost stand alone, so different and so brilliant). Ultraviolet 360 is also my favourite then after that generally I prefer zoo tv versions of Achtung baby songs although one was good on the elevation tour also slane being particularly good.
    The thing about One is that it's had a ton of really special, moving, all-in performances since ZooTV... but also a lot of going through the motions, good but not spectacular performances since then. But on ZooTV, pretty much every performance was powerful. I think Sergio said a while back, on ZooTV One wasn't an anthem yet - it was still a very personal song for them, the song that saved the band's relationship together, it was still theirs and that gave it something special that it lost once it became one of their all-time-classic anthems.

Back on topic of UTEOTW, those Elevation versions are terrific - for me, though, I might point to the i+e tour as having the strongest UTEOTW performances. That said, my all-time favourite version of this song was on ZooTV, so there's that.
  3. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    The thing about One is that it's had a ton of really special, moving, all-in performances since ZooTV... but also a lot of going through the motions, good but not spectacular performances since then. But on ZooTV, pretty much every performance was powerful. I think Sergio said a while back, on ZooTV One wasn't an anthem yet - it was still a very personal song for them, the song that saved the band's relationship together, it was still theirs and that gave it something special that it lost once it became one of their all-time-classic anthems.

Back on topic of UTEOTW, those Elevation versions are terrific - for me, though, I might point to the i+e tour as having the strongest UTEOTW performances. That said, my all-time favourite version of this song was on ZooTV, so there's that.
    YES to everything (also to UTEOTW being at its best in 2015)!!
  4. UTEOTW must be back on the next tour
  5. I hope when they do bring this back its without the visuals and the screen. As good as they were i just want to see the four of them on the I stage bang this one out. I spent too long looking at the screen and not listening properly
  6. End Of The World is all about The Edge. Once Edge got his distortion fired up it's going to be epic. Bring back the Elevation version!!!!!
  7. One thing that bothers me a little about 1992-93 performances of UTEOTW (which otherwise are the best overall) is that the proper song started too early, while the "screaming guitar intro" was still playing (at 00:15 in the video above, while it should start around 00:20). They corrected that from 1997 on, and since then Larry, Adam and Edge come in properly after the intro ends – just like in the album. But they actually never got the intro right, the album is much better with the congas and the slight crescendo that just explodes with the main riff.

Anyway - what a SONG
  8. Best ever was at the Brits Earls Court , if anyone can find a vid I would be thrilled
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:One thing that bothers me a little about 1992-93 performances of UTEOTW (which otherwise are the best overall) is that the proper song started too early, while the "screaming guitar intro" was still playing (at 00:15 in the video above, while it should start around 00:20). They corrected that from 1997 on, and since then Larry, Adam and Edge come in properly after the intro ends – just like in the album. But they actually never got the intro right, the album is much better with the congas and the slight crescendo that just explodes with the main riff.

Anyway - what a SONG
    I just came to this thread to post a thought about this very thing not realising you had already made a comment. Only because I was going to say if/when they play it again I hope they do it like they did on E&I which did sound more like the album versions intro. Took a bit off getting used to hearing it live at first without it kicking straight in but it’s great they finally managed to work it out like the album version, I never personally got to hear it though just on recordings and live streams.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I just came to this thread to post a thought about this very thing not realising you had already made a comment. Only because I was going to say if/when they play it again I hope they do it like they did on E&I which did sound more like the album versions intro. Took a bit off getting used to hearing it live at first without it kicking straight in but it’s great they finally managed to work it out like the album version, I never personally got to hear it though just on recordings and live streams.
    Hahaha yeah, I know. It's a very small detail but it's part of the greatness of the song and they never got it 100% right. I wished they tried the album approach with the atmospheric intro-crescendo and the song actually exploding when the main riff comes in.
  11. I think UTEOTW is the only "regular" song, together with Streets, for which I don't see hoards of fans asking the band to retire it. That says a lot.