1. I don't care about the full HD thing, I don't have a light-fast internet connection so I watch most things online on standard definition, I don't have a bluray reader on the PC and DVDs aren't HD, so I really don't need the HD feature.

What puzzles me is if the DVI connection will make any difference compared to the VGA I'm using and have always used. Any feedback on this? I could get a DVI cable easily if it's worth it.
  2. Imho its worth the few euros
  3. Really? I've read mixed reviews about it. Some say it's like the mp3/flac thingie I guess I'll wait and see it with my own eyes, then buy (or not) the cable.
  4. Well its not really comparable with that.

Fact is that with DVI it is guaranteed that 1 pixel in software can be mapped with 1 pixel in hardware. With VGA that is already harder, also with DVI there is no noise.

Depends on monitor and cable if you see the difference, if the monitor has good analogue input probably not that easy to see.
  5. aha! I had read there is no noise and a better loss ratio than with the analog (VGA) input, but I'll see if I notice it and then make a decission. DVI cables are 3€ at eBay but then again a crappy cable would probably make the difference less obvious
  6. Nah crappy is ok, digital works different. No picture, or good picture.
  7. Really? Don't get it. If the cable isn't good enough there can be signal dropouts or other bad things, besides it being analog or digital... am I wrong?
  8. Well must be REALLY bad to have a dropout.

Think the crappy cables might have connectors that easily break etc, but when you dont disconnect every day there is no reason to buy expensive cables.

Reason is that in digital world there are only 2 states, 1 and 0. In analogue its from -Inf to +Inf (in theory). When a digital cable outputs 0.7V its still clearly 1 while in analogue it will actually give different results.
  9. Of course that is very simplified, but still sort of how it works
  10. Ahum, that makes sense... but then again most tech things I know are audio stuff, it might be different there
  11. Yeah, audio output is analogue (continous). Your screen consists of a discrete number of pixels.

So in case of a LCD screen its better to avoid the 'useless' D/A and A/D converter you use using a VGA cable. For CRT things are different.
  12. aaah yeah I had read that too, using VGA is a double analog<>digital conversion (with the logical potential loss)... Yeah, I think I'll just give DVI a try. I can always go back to VGA in case I don't like it (can't see it happening, but you never know). Thanks for all the info Chris