1. Originally posted by Genaro92U2:which show bootleg would I get for this? ahaha I know absolutely nothing about thiis tour except that Bono's voice is glorious. that era inbetween TUF and JT vocally must've been Godly for those there!

Bono's voice was glorious! I am very lucky to have seen the 2 Amnesty Shows, plus many of the JT and Zoo shows. I think he was still experimenting and finding his voice at that time. I remember he sometimes had difficulty with the high notes in The Unforgettable Fire. By the time Love Town and Zoo came around he nailed that falsetto/head voice while also getting those rich/dark tones in his lower register. The texture was incredible! There was no one better at those high notes than Bono when he was on. Now that was glorious! I really do miss that voice!
  2. These two weeks in June 86 are probably two of the best weeks in all of Bono's singing history. He was at the very top of his game, impressive vocal power.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:These two weeks in June 86 are probably two of the best weeks in all of Bono's singing history. He was at the very top of his game, impressive vocal power.
    It’s something I’ve took note of quite recently just how great his voice was in TUF era, I know conspiracy of hope was a bit later but I think he lost the ability to belt out the notes while keeping the singing smooth by the original JT tour. The song TUF in particular was sang so much better on TUF tour than on JT.
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    It’s something I’ve took note of quite recently just how great his voice was in TUF era, I know conspiracy of hope was a bit later but I think he lost the ability to belt out the notes while keeping the singing smooth by the original JT tour. The song TUF in particular was sang so much better on TUF tour than on JT.
    100% agree on TUF (the song), he's never sung it as well as they did in 1984 and 85. Some specific performances like Brussels 87 or Rotterdam 90 stand out too but in general they don't come close to the standard he set in 84-85.

Same goes for SBS and Pride, by the way: the Conspiracy of Hope (and Self Aid) performances are just the best ever.
  5. Just an incredible document to find. Especially for someone like me who likes official material over fan created.
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    100% agree on TUF (the song), he's never sung it as well as they did in 1984 and 85. Some specific performances like Brussels 87 or Rotterdam 90 stand out too but in general they don't come close to the standard he set in 84-85.

Same goes for SBS and Pride, by the way: the Conspiracy of Hope (and Self Aid) performances are just the best ever.
    Originally posted by LikeASong:I was discussing with a couple of friends that asked me "if you could travel back in time to one night of each year, when would you go?". I had a hard time deciding between Brussels and Madrid 87 but opted for the former.

I dare (I double dare) anybody to show me an example, any example, of Bono being more into it than he was between 3:30 and 4:35 of this video:

[YouTube Video]

I also dare you to find a TUF version sung any better by Bono, or with a louder audience participation. Or a better SBS version overall!!! Man, this concert is pure GOLD.
  7. Heart warming to see Greg Carroll scampering around at the foot of the stage.
  8. I really love Help from 87
  9. ?

I stand behind both statements. TUF was consistently awesome in 1984 and 1985, yet some specific performances like Brussels are slightly superior.

I had forgotten about SBS in Brussels though, I'd have to compare it to the Self Aid and Conspiracy versions
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    ?

I stand behind both statements. TUF was consistently awesome in 1984 and 1985, yet some specific performances like Brussels are slightly superior.

I had forgotten about SBS in Brussels though, I'd have to compare it to the Self Aid and Conspiracy versions
    yeah, that's possible. You were quite agressive back then, with the 'I dare you this and I dare you that', it's just funny to see you answering your own questions. I already told you in that topic that it wasn't that hard and that it's all very subjective. Even your own taste can differ from day to day or any other timeframe. It's not a competition, it's just taste.