1. You are correct. U2 operating in the spirit once again and ignoring the legalities. Isn't that why we are here in the first place?
  2. For LN U2 is a cow to milk, not more, not less. They don't care.
    They want money with the least possible effort to put in.

Choosing DVD/BD for everyone would mean: we need someone to split these two groups so each get their chosen copy, we cannot automatically just wrap them and print the shipping labels in just one step for all of them. They would need to invest money (in form of an employee, an extension to the existing automatic process - etc.) to get it done right. They don't want that.
  3. Of course this will get a blu ray release, no chance it won't after the production costs and the opportunity to milk some more money.

Would have rather got the supposed Washington concert filmed, and bought the Berlin gig. Since I am going to have to buy it again anyway.
  4. I wonder if they’re considering doing a digital only commercial release making the fanclub gift the only physical version available? Just a thought, I suspect I’m going to be annoyed in a few months when they announce the blu Ray and other physical releases and I’ve essentially paid £30 for a different booklet. I was always going to renew anyway just because I’m stupid enough to buy it would be the most disappointing gift if it isn’t really exclusive to subscribers.
  5. I bet Bluray will be relased officially soon (DVD too, of course). LN doesn't loose much on this gift, since most of the members will go and buy Bluray anyway. Yes, quite cheap cheating.

As for me, if the DVD is at least proprely done as has really the DVD picture quallity, unlike the Paris DVD, I am okay with that. I admit that I renew not because of the gift, but because of the tickets. And while it is more than certain that there will be no tickets this year, I would regret loosing the Radhill group membership, since with that one I can be kind of really sure that I will get GA tickets, which might already be a struggle with the basic membership. It is expensive, yes, but I pay only one subscription and it is still waaay cheaper than buying from scalpers, paying for platinum tickets or whatever is this official scalping called, plus being saved from all the stress also has its value for me.

So in the end - I am quite content, just hope the DVD is in watchable quallity, which I am a bit worried about after the last official release.
  6. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]
    It's just a more dedicated fan edition. As far as I recall, the Dylan Jones edition of From the Ground Up wasn't a big seller. It's just a different edition, no one is getting shut out.

Hi miryclay. I think they (u2.com) could explain that. As I understand it, if they turned this into a gift, it will not have open sales. No gifts were released commercially. deanallison is right, it would be like saying that the subscribers are fools. And at the same time, if they do not release commercially, they will be saying that U2 do not need others fans since they have already the subscribers.
  7. I would have bought a Berlin BD last year. That would retail around like 23€, a DVD would retail around 15€.

I will surely NOT pay 40$ for this. PLUS another 23€ later, to get a BluRay.

It's like with From The Ground Up - _I_ can read it in English, many others cant and need to buy another one in their own language, if they care about the text in it.

I pretty much guess, there will be a normal release, recording and producing plus the extra costs for the extra gig -> they need the release to get the money back.
    So subscribing for this DVD, is like Deanallison fears: paying 40$ for a different booklet or packaging.
    Like we did for From The Ground Up. Different cover, some pics and a CD - which was obsolet, because of all tracks as downloads.
  8. Originally posted by sparko:I would have bought a Berlin BD last year. That would retail around like 23€, a DVD would retail around 15€.

I will surely NOT pay 40$ for this. PLUS another 23€ later, to get a BluRay.

It's like with From The Ground Up - _I_ can read it in English, many others cant and need to buy another one in their own language, if they care about the text in it.

I pretty much guess, there will be a normal release, recording and producing plus the extra costs for the extra gig -> they need the release to get the money back.
    So subscribing for this DVD, is like Deanallison fears: paying 40$ for a different booklet or packaging.
    Like we did for From The Ground Up. Different cover, some pics and a CD - which was obsolet, because of all tracks as downloads.
    From the ground up was fine, it was the cd that I wanted and that was only for subscribers making it a good incentive to renew. That’s where this could be different as it’s the dvd I would want to be for subscribers only not the booklet. A one off dvd is a good incentive, a one off booklet isn’t. So we’ll see what happens.
  9. Come on guys, they don't have to give us something at all. For me it's just a fine extra to have and to be honest I kind of like the dvd (ok a Blu-ray was better).
    Some other groups you can also buy a subscription to have a reduction in the fan shop (hey we have that also), and to have a presale (also something U2 does).
    So better be happy with what they give and not complaint about it.
    BTW, whatever they give there will always be pro-fans and contra-fans. So just be happy and enjoy what they deliver us. And I hope we will have the dvd pretty soon.
  10. Originally posted by dsmetzr:Come on guys, they don't have to give us something at all. For me it's just a fine extra to have and to be honest I kind of like the dvd (ok a Blu-ray was better).
    Some other groups you can also buy a subscription to have a reduction in the fan shop (hey we have that also), and to have a presale (also something U2 does).
    So better be happy with what they give and not complaint about it.
    BTW, whatever they give there will always be pro-fans and contra-fans. So just be happy and enjoy what they deliver us. And I hope we will have the dvd pretty soon.
    https://pearljam.com/ten-club

I'd take such a 20$ version right away, I suggested that several times over the years.

The "gifts" we got have always been recycled items (audio from previously released dvds, MR&R,...top spot has been Duals), things you can produce really cheap (posters, simple cds in a cheap cardsleeve) - until people started complaining.
    Ok, we got some live music meanwhile. Ok. Nice. But the worst I can ever imagine is a puzzled collection of recorded here and there instead of any complete show that has never been released before (outside a regular official tour release) plus their to-death-editing.
    Although such old recordings are really not my kind of thing, AT AP has pretty much been, what paying members expect from an official fanclub.
  11. Last sort of thought on the matter. I’m reading that Coldplay didn’t release there last tour dvd in blu Ray, perhaps this is the end of concerts being released in blu Ray or at least it won’t be such a given going forward. Sales have maybe dictated that it isn’t worth the extra cost of blu Ray and most people are happy with dvd.