1. Zooropa live was worth the 18 year wait.
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I think it depends on the leg of 360 you went to see. In brussels for example they changed 5 songs between night 1 and night 2 in 2010. I doubt there’s many higher variations than that from 1 night to the next on a U2 tour. I think for both vertigo and 360 though going to see at least 1 gig each leg would have been the perfect balance, albeit a very costly one and maybe not very realistic for most. E&I was similar in that respect, if you went to one of the later shows on the tour and a show on the US leg that would have gave you the best variety of songs rather than back to back nights.

I saw one show in 2009 and another in 2011 and think I was quite fortunate to get the variation that I did!
  3. Same. Saw Chicago Sept. 12, 2009 and again in Chicago in 2011 when they closed with the impromptu One Tree Hill. Still think it’s the best U2 show I’ve seen
  4. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]

I saw one show in 2009 and another in 2011 and think I was quite fortunate to get the variation that I did!
    I went to one in 2009 and then as mentioned both nights in brussels 2010 and from the Glasgow show in 2009 to the first brussels show there was 8 different songs. North American fans got more of the 90’s songs Europeans got more of the new songs. No Zooropa, the fly or real thing played in Europe, and no mercy, stingray, EBW or Glastonbury played in North America. North Star was played in the states once, I think around the time transformers was coming out. There were a few other North American surprises as well. I think they really did mix things up well on the tour from leg to leg.
  5. Just re-watched a Vertigo show, and had a couple thoughts occur

- how awesome was that when the ZooTV encore first appeared. We are used to regular call-backs to ZooTv/AB nowadays on every tour since this one. But remember, this was the first time. We hadn't seen it since 3 tours prior.

- on that same front, this seems like the tour that they were really paying homages to themselves previously. Not just a ZooTv section, but also bringing back a fan-favorite closing song (40, complete with spotlight) that hadn't been done since the 80's. Also, this was the tour that they really dug back deep into the early song catalogue -- with the likes of Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, The Ocean, Gloria. (Sure, Elevation had a couple 11'Oclocks). But this was the first show were they dedicated regular setlist spots to those songs.

- It seems this tour often doesn't get praised/mentioned as much as the others. And I think it could be because the live show wasn't as massive of a change-up as the others. When you think of ZooTv to Popmart to Elevation. And afterwards, The Claw to the Barricage. All huge dramatic shifts. Whereas, Vertigo seemed like a sibling to Elevation stage with some light curtains added. On top of that, it was the first tour where the band members didn't massively change up their look/style. Bono stuck in the all black, with same haircut and similar shades. And Edge stuck with the blk beanie and t-shirt/jeans look.
  6. Larry grew his hair down passed his shoulders on the Vertigo tour...
  7. Originally posted by marik:

- on that same front, this seems like the tour that they were really paying homages to themselves previously. Not just a ZooTv section, but also bringing back a fan-favorite closing song (40, complete with spotlight) that hadn't been done since the 80's. Also, this was the tour that they really dug back deep into the early song catalogue -- with the likes of Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, The Ocean, Gloria. (Sure, Elevation had a couple 11'Oclocks). But this was the first show were they dedicated regular setlist spots to those songs.

I remember them playing Party Girl in Sydney and many in the crowd were clueless as to what song it was. Mind you the band had to assemble mid-stage at one point to confirm how it went so it was unfamiliar to them too.
  8. Originally posted by marik:Just re-watched a Vertigo show, and had a couple thoughts occur

- how awesome was that when the ZooTV encore first appeared. We are used to regular call-backs to ZooTv/AB nowadays on every tour since this one. But remember, this was the first time. We hadn't seen it since 3 tours prior.

- It seems this tour often doesn't get praised/mentioned as much as the others. And I think it could be because the live show wasn't as massive of a change-up as the others. When you think of ZooTv to Popmart to Elevation. And afterwards, The Claw to the Barricage. All huge dramatic shifts. Whereas, Vertigo seemed like a sibling to Elevation stage with some light curtains added. On top of that, it was the first tour where the band members didn't massively change up their look/style. Bono stuck in the all black, with same haircut and similar shades. And Edge stuck with the blk beanie and t-shirt/jeans look.
    You're right about this tour not getting my praise... I'm not sure why though. It's my favourite tour for me
  9. Vertigo Tour was Epic! I have seen every tour since Zoo TV in 1992 and after Zoo TV it is my second favorite tour hands down. All of the above comments are spot on and we also got RTSS after a long break. The first North American Leg was better than the third US leg for me because of the Zoo TV slot machine encore. In the third leg though they did occasionally play Crumbs from Your Table or Fast Cars. Great shows....great energy from the band and fans! If you won the lottery and got inside the ellipse it was like seeing U2 in a club in their early days. Unreal.
  10. It wasn't that great tour in Europe and if you've attended just Vienna, Poland and Munich,and don't like the album which this tour supported, then Zoo Station/The Fly won't save it. And if you put the worst versions of Pride/Streets/One, then you have the worst tour I've attended...
  11. I've seen every tour since Zoo TV. Vertigo is one of my least favourites. Yes, we did get to see some older songs that hadn't been played for a while so that was nice. The HTDAAB album tracks played on the 3rd leg were nice too. However, from a show design point of view, the indoor tour felt like a lazy Elevation tour rehash. The outdoor stage and show was not very good. To me it was their worst stage production since they do large productions. Performance wise, the band felt inferior compared to Elevation before it and 360 after. Bono's voice was at a low, and some of the versions i.e. Zoo Station and Fly are not my favourite compared to other tours. It's also the first tour when Bono really overdid it with speeches for my taste. Don't get me wrong, it's always great to see U2 live, but in context I think for U2's live history, Vertigo was a low point.
  12. I really liked the setlist variation on the Vertigo tour. I saw 3 shows, and got to hear a lot of random stuff that I didn’t think I’d ever hear. I think the arena version was better than the stadium version, even if it was a bit of an elevation tour rematch. From what I’ve seen and heard, the European leg was pretty bland. Things seemed to get better for the stadium show when they went to Aus/NZ/Japan/Hawaii.