1. Upon first listen it seems like they picked the worst four tracks to release ahead of the album
    I like Won't Stand Down, Compliance, and Kill Or Be Killed to some extent, but I'm enjoying Euphoria, Verona, Liberation, We Are Fucking Fucked, and Ghosts much more (in that order).

Halloween will require some more listens for me to make up my mind about. I like how different it is, but I'm not sure if it's a good song or not yet.

The album will require more listens too, but my first impression is that it's their best since (at least) The Resistance.

Also, damn, I need to see these guys live.
  2. Not vibing with it after 2 play throughs
  3. Upon first listen, I like it. I believe it will grow on me after further listens.
  4. Originally posted by cyborgninja117:[..]
    Thank you! I'm feeling this will be a great tour with (hopefully) a bit more rotation after the enjoyable but almost completely static ST stadium run (didn't help that I thought the album itself was pretty weak).

Yeah that was my thinking, nice little semi-homecoming gig for them! The tickets were something like £77 each but will the fees Ticketmaster throw in it came to about £86 each. Daylight robbery!
    ST was a terrible album and a terrible tour too. This era will be much better in all regards I'm sure.

£86 is indeed blatant robbery but I guess we won't be seeing 50 quid GA tickets for Muse any major band anymore
  5. This is pretty amazing Each album cover done in the style of the others. Fantastic work. Click on the photo for higher resolution!

6. Again a really good album from the guys!
  7. I really like Ghost, very emotional lyrics.
  8. Yes! Although I don't like that it's mostly piano-only. It could be truly epic if there were some subtle but crescendo band accompaniment for the bridge and last chorus (a la Every Breaking Wave).
  9. The album is kind of settling down with me after a few listens.

Will Of The People is a parody of themselves, a mash between Psycho, Uprising and Marilyn Manson's Beautiful People. It would be funny if it wasn't borderline pathetic.

Compliance, just like happened with Madness (but not with Dig Down), is finally growing on me musically. But the lyrics of obedience, government control, etc are getting a bit tired and tiring by now. I hope Matt can overcome his obsession and start writing about anything else.

Liberation is an absolute United States Of Eurasia (and hence Queen) rip-off that doesn't stand out at all. I like the chord progression and how the song evolves, but that's about it.

Ghosts as I said above is a really good song, nice sad lyrics and good piano work by Matt. It only lacks a bit of band presence to make it really, really superb.

Halloween is the one song I still haven't made my mind about. I don't know if I hate it or I like it. Is it a joke or is it a serious song? I really like the lyrics of the first verse, but the rest of the song is pretty lame.

Euphoria is like the Get Up And Fight of this album, meaning that it's the faux-hard rock song that actually ends up being cheesy. I have a soft spot (or even guilty pleasure) for Get Up And Fight and I suspect it'll happen the same with Euphoria.

Won't Stand Down and Kill Or Be Killed are two incredible modern metal songs, I really really like them both.

I thought I would be enjoying We Are Fucking Fucked a lot more than I am right now. It is not the kind of song I was expecting, the lyrics don't really go anywhere (I mean, what's the point in just enumerating the things we've gone and are going through? We are already aware of that - give me something else).

Verona is just too much to take in, I still can't listen to it without crying. We're getting Verona's paw tattooed next week and we plan of having the song playing while the tattoo artist does his job. Festival of tears!

Overall, a better album than I was expecting after the Simulation Theory debacle. It's clearly better than ST, probably better than Drones and The 2nd Law (but time will tell) and it could even rival The Resistance as the 5th best album for me. We'll see. The tour will play a big role in that, and I'm also hoping that it's better than the last one - the bar ain't too high to be honest. If all goes well I'll see them next week in Málaga (9th show) and I'm very much looking forward to it.
  10. @LikeASong ohh nice, I didn't know they had any gigs before the October theatre tour. Hopefully they debut another song or two off the album. Any songs in particular you're hoping they play?

After letting the album sink in some more, I can honestly say this is my favourite album since Black Holes and Revelations purely because there are no songs I dislike. They weren't kidding when they said they wanted to make a 'best of' album with new songs. I feel it's a great mix of everything they've done over the course of their career.

WotP: A bit 'Muse by numbers' in the vein of Uprising. I imagine it'll be fun live.

Compliance: Not a top-tier pop song like Madness or Dead Inside but it's a good sing-a-long. That chorus is ridiculously catchy.

Liberation: Feels like something straight off The Resistance. For me, leans into the Queen influence a bit too much (I say that as a Queen fan) but I do like how it ends with a minor outro rather than a big finish. Probably my least favourite so far.

Won't Stand Down: A perfect modern metal song. Sublime.

Ghosts: An unexpected highlight, absolutely gorgeous.

Halloween: I feel like they perfected the sound they were trying to go for with Simulation Theory on this one. Great guitar solo and the use of a descending run works really well combined with the big drum finish.

Kill or Be Killed: Other than the bass being oddly absent in the mix, another classic. The middle is section is filthy...never thought I'd ever hear a death growl in a Muse song!

Verona: Probably my favourite, a perfect electronic/pop song. I can't be the only one to who immediately thought of Edge in this? I stopped listening to Matt's lyrics a long time ago but this one really got me, like Ghosts did.

Euphoria: The most fun they've sounded in years, reminds me of a poppier 'Crying Shame'.

We Are Fucking Fucked: Not what I expected at all...but in a good way. I hope it finally replaces Knights as gig closer on the next tour.
  11. Originally posted by cyborgninja117:@LikeASong ohh nice, I didn't know they had any gigs before the October theatre tour. Hopefully they debut another song or two off the album. Any songs in particular you're hoping they play?

After letting the album sink in some more, I can honestly say this is my favourite album since Black Holes and Revelations purely because there are no songs I dislike. They weren't kidding when they said they wanted to make a 'best of' album with new songs. I feel it's a great mix of everything they've done over the course of their career.

WotP: A bit 'Muse by numbers' in the vein of Uprising. I imagine it'll be fun live.

Compliance: Not a top-tier pop song like Madness or Dead Inside but it's a good sing-a-long. That chorus is ridiculously catchy.

Liberation: Feels like something straight off The Resistance. For me, leans into the Queen influence a bit too much (I say that as a Queen fan) but I do like how it ends with a minor outro rather than a big finish. Probably my least favourite so far.

Won't Stand Down: A perfect modern metal song. Sublime.

Ghosts: An unexpected highlight, absolutely gorgeous.

Halloween: I feel like they perfected the sound they were trying to go for with Simulation Theory on this one. Great guitar solo and the use of a descending run works really well combined with the big drum finish.

Kill or Be Killed: Other than the bass being oddly absent in the mix, another classic. The middle is section is filthy...never thought I'd ever hear a death growl in a Muse song!

Verona: Probably my favourite, a perfect electronic/pop song. I can't be the only one to who immediately thought of Edge in this? I stopped listening to Matt's lyrics a long time ago but this one really got me, like Ghosts did.

Euphoria: The most fun they've sounded in years, reminds me of a poppier 'Crying Shame'.

We Are Fucking Fucked: Not what I expected at all...but in a good way. I hope it finally replaces Knights as gig closer on the next tour.
    Replacing Knights as a closer for whatever song is blasphemy!!
  12. Haha, don't get me wrong it's a brilliant closer but it's just been so overdone!

Ditching the Harmonica intro would help. Other than the T2L stadium run, Knights has ended most of their shows since 2007. It should still close the main set but I'd like to see them freshen up the encore a bit.