1. Love them. I'd love them to reunite too. I heard well-informed rumours that a big European festival was putting a huge amount of money on REM's table... We'll see.
  2. Was fortunate to see them once and would love for them to reform but I don't think it will ever happen. I sense that Michael Stipe has firmly closed that chapter of his life and won't be coaxed back. Eagerly awaiting the 25th anniversary release of Monster and the chance to watch Road Movies again. (I only have it on VHS )
  3. REM were a great band - saw them a number of times - but their fan base has aged as has U2's so if they were to get back together then it'd be like a karaoke tour just playing the hits and Michael Stipe WOULD NOT be happy about that.
  4. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:REM were a great band - saw them a number of times - but their fan base has aged as has U2's so if they were to get back together then it'd be like a karaoke tour just playing the hits and Michael Stipe WOULD NOT be happy about that.
    Why'd they have to play "just the hits"? There are a handful of songs they just can't avoid playing (Losing My Religion, End Of The World, The One I Love, Man on the Moon, Imitation Of Life and Everybody Hurts) but other than that they could still play lots of obscure songs and people would be happy anyway because that's what REM's fanbase has always been used to. Would they sell out stadiums? Don't think so - and I don't think they'd ever aim for that either. But yeah, I agree with you and @Sydney_Mike: I don't think Stipe is up for it, he's over and done with this chapter and has moved on.
  5. The Monster 25 box set is coming soon. This is my favorite track from my favorite REM album.

Bang and Blame is also pretty awesome!

6. Each to their own, but I was disappointed and couldn't finish listening to it. I think it's the high pitched breathless vocal that puts me off.
  7. I love this, lovely vibe to it. I'm glad he's singing and writing again, too much talent to waste not using his gift.

I really miss R.E.M. but I think as others have said, the chance of them reuniting, properly at least, are pretty much slim to zero, I don't think money would tempt any of them and I don't think any of them have any need or desire creatively or otherwise to do so.

Which just goes to show it really is an incredible thing to keep a band going for so long as our beloved U2.
  8. I like the new remix of Let Me In, sounds a little more like it would sit on New Adventures in Hi-Fi

9. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:REM were a great band - saw them a number of times - but their fan base has aged as has U2's so if they were to get back together then it'd be like a karaoke tour just playing the hits and Michael Stipe WOULD NOT be happy about that.
    I dunno so many bands reform not just for the money but to play in front of their fans again they miss the adulation,performing the songs, the reaction,their ego been massaged. REM always had that indie credibility even though they were massive they never over exposed themselves or appeared to yet they were selling millions of albums concert tickets etc. I reckon they will reform and record new music Stipe may have said that chapter is closed but we've heard that sort of dismissive talk from so many other bands who've got back together.