1. Originally posted by JuJuman:[..]
    +1

I think they're definitely capable of still making great music. EL has some pretty good songs in it (Church, Daddy). Coloratura has a stellar melody, even though the production is overblown.

A bit like U2, I think, they desperately want to remain relevant. And they somewhat lose the plot.
    Yes, I see the same trend. The thing is that CP lost the plot and started their headless-chicken-quest for mainstream+relevance after only 4 albums and 15 years (1996-2011) and still haven't come back, while it took 8 albums and 25 years for U2 (1976-2001), and still they released at least one album that almost completely escapes from that path. CP have already been in "that" part of the spectrum for almost the same time and number of albums as the other side, so it's becoming harder and harder to come back to the bright side of the music... But as I said, everything's not lost. 🤞🤞🤞
  2. I think Coldplay’s is also far more an obvious attempt at just being purely commercial at times. U2 still stuck to certain values imo, they didn’t become a pop band, softer rock at times but definitely not pop. Some of U2’s big commercial efforts in this century are still guitar driven, or at the very least have guitar in them. I’m not a big viva la Vida fan (the song or album) but there is instruments clearly present, then with mylo xyloto it became a bit less evident and you got a song like princess of China that was just something u2 wouldn’t do. U2 got Lykke Li involved in a heavy song that had a solo in it. And since then a head full of dreams and this new effort just don’t deserve to be compared to u2 at all. I’m not saying anyone’s comparing they specific albums. I realise you’re talking about a trend to go more commercial which isn’t just a straight forward comparison of artists but u2 to me just became a bit more radio friendly whilst keeping their identity at least somewhat whereas Coldplay really have lost the plot almost entirely.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:I think Coldplay’s is also far more an obvious attempt at just being purely commercial at times. U2 still stuck to certain values imo, they didn’t become a pop band, softer rock at times but definitely not pop. Some of U2’s big commercial efforts in this century are still guitar driven, or at the very least have guitar in them. I’m not a big viva la Vida fan (the song or album) but there is instruments clearly present, then with mylo xyloto it became a bit less evident and you got a song like princess of China that was just something u2 wouldn’t do. U2 got Lykke Li involved in a heavy song that had a solo in it. And since then a head full of dreams and this new effort just don’t deserve to be compared to u2 at all. I’m not saying anyone’s comparing they specific albums. I realise you’re talking about a trend to go more commercial which isn’t just a straight forward comparison of artists but u2 to me just became a bit more radio friendly whilst keeping their identity at least somewhat whereas Coldplay really have lost the plot almost entirely.
    Yes, good point about the goddamn instruments. As a guitar player myself I am extremely bothered and annoyed by CP's fixation for making guitars less and less prominent in their music. I used to ADORE Buckland's subtle and memorable guitar lines and right now the very last one I can remember is the beautiful riff during Up In Flames' last chorus, which is 3 days short of being 10 years old. That's just sad.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yes, I see the same trend. The thing is that CP lost the plot and started their headless-chicken-quest for mainstream+relevance after only 4 albums and 15 years (1996-2011) and still haven't come back, while it took 8 albums and 25 years for U2 (1976-2001), and still they released at least one album that almost completely escapes from that path. CP have already been in "that" part of the spectrum for almost the same time and number of albums as the other side, so it's becoming harder and harder to come back to the bright side of the music... But as I said, everything's not lost. 🤞🤞🤞
    This is a very interesting observation, which makes the release of Everyday Life even weirder, considering the two albums it was sandwiched between. U2 hasn't put out anything that out of left field (and with almost no commercial appeal) since Zooropa / Passengers.
  5. Originally posted by ASortOfDesire:[..]
    This is a very interesting observation, which makes the release of Everyday Life even weirder, considering the two albums it was sandwiched between. U2 hasn't put out anything that out of left field (and with almost no commercial appeal) since Zooropa / Passengers.
    No Line. Is their last experimental album
  6. Originally posted by ASortOfDesire:[..]
    You're right, Everyday Life was the equivalent as NLOTH: an album so different from the previous and subsequent that is actually a rara avis in the second half of their careers. The reason why I had forgotten about Everyday Life is that CP didn't tour it and almost didn't promote it - it felt like a side project of sorts, almost like they needed a short outlet or escape from their mainstream quest.

Speaking of which, anyone remember about that Los Unidades thing?
  7. I'd rate Viva, Ghost Stories and Everyday Life as their strongest work the past decade.
  8. Everyday life for me is a great album! Title being the best song on the album. Coldplay has greatness and in my opinion nothing to prove to anybody!
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I fully agree, of course: U2 has never ever put out an album as bad as MOTS. I think rock bands naturally experience a loss of creativity over time. U2 is no exception, but yes, they've put out quite a long uninterrupted series of stellar albums - unlike Coldplay. What's striking about Coldplay is that they can still definitely write fantastic song: I rate All I can think about is you, Church, and Daddy, among some of their finest work. They're all relatively recent. They seem to have made a strong commercial pop choice, that has served them well over the last decade. But they might have just overdone it now.
  10. Love those albums! Everyday Life is an album I really got into... just the right thing at the right time for me. It's sort of a "Musical Journey". Big fan.

MotS... man, I'm having a really hard time even making it through this album. I'm still trying to process it, but I haven't even felt motivated to listen to it for a few days. Is Johnny Buckland even on this album??
  11. These ticket prices are actually quite logical and ordinary. Thank god they haven't given in to this current of making shows extra super expensive.