1. Originally posted by grzeko:More than 700k people waiting for tickets for the European show in the queue at Ticketmaster right now. I'm a U2 fan for 20+ years... and hate tu say this but Coldplay is the biggest live act. 10 stadiums in Buenos Aires in autumn, 6 or 7 Wembley shows few days ago. 3 shows at Olympic Stadium in Berlin. Now the 2023 tour is growing and growing due to enormous demand. By numbers - there's no discussion.
    I think you are right. But…Coldplay’s music is more the music of ‘all the people’ if you know what i mean. It’s more tunes dan really music. Lots of songs after the Viva La Vida album are ‘computer-music’ and not only (rock)music with guitars, bass and drums. That’s something U2 will always do. They’ve tried something with pop, or make some remixes like ‘crazy tonight’ but in fact nothing of that kind of mixed songs make it to the big audience/people. Coldplay is al lot better in that; and young people will loved dat more. For me, U2 had to keep it by her own way; make great invented live shows with rock n roll music and please make it more ‘live’ to tried something new on stage en that kind of things (like Springsteen)
  2. Originally posted by struukangeren:[..]
    I think you are right. But…Coldplay’s music is more the music of ‘all the people’ if you know what i mean. It’s more tunes dan really music. Lots of songs after the Viva La Vida album are ‘computer-music’ and not only (rock)music with guitars, bass and drums. That’s something U2 will always do. They’ve tried something with pop, or make some remixes like ‘crazy tonight’ but in fact nothing of that kind of mixed songs make it to the big audience/people. Coldplay is al lot better in that; and young people will loved dat more. For me, U2 had to keep it by her own way; make great invented live shows with rock n roll music and please make it more ‘live’ to tried something new on stage en that kind of things (like Springsteen)
    Well said 👍
  3. Originally posted by struukangeren:[..]
    You have written my own thoughts in your fantastic writing.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:I don't know any other band that has gotten to the absolute peak of their drawing power while reaching the absolute bottom of their artistic output. It just blows my mind (and not in a good way).
    it's simple really: the audience-wristbands make a spectacular lightshow and this makes excellent marketing clips on social media: even if people have never heard more than 2 songs by Coldplay, they need to be part of that! It's called FOMO.
  5. I don't know any other band that has gotten to the absolute peak of their drawing power while reaching the absolute bottom of their artistic output. It just blows my mind (and not in a good way).
    U2 2009?
  6. Got tickets for Manchester. The power of tiktok 🤷🏽‍♂️
  7. Tix for Amsterdam in the pocket!
  8. Crazy figures. U2 dropped the ball when it came to flashy wristbands it seems.
  9. Originally posted by Janus02:I don't know any other band that has gotten to the absolute peak of their drawing power while reaching the absolute bottom of their artistic output. It just blows my mind (and not in a good way).
    U2 2009?
    Agreed on Coldplay's trajectory.

I love their early stuff, went to multiple of their shows when they supported A Rush of Blood to the Head. Viva la Vida was great, but after that they started a slow downward spiral into trying way too hard to stay relevant. I skipped their recent US tour and didn't buy the crap latest album.
  10. Even I'm kind of shocked to hear how today's ticket sales went.
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:Absolutely no interest but the ticket sale for the 2023 tour has been absolute mayhem this morning. Virtual queues of up to 900,000 people for Amsterdam, Barcelona, Manchester, etc. Absolutely crazy. They've sold out 4 olympic stadiums in Barcelona, around 300,000 tickets in total, without turning a hair.

[image]

WTF

I checked tickets for Cardiff, dynamic pricing is crazy. £419 for GA.
  12. Originally posted by germcevoy:Absolutely no interest but I am having a lot of their current tour videos thrown at me on YouTube. It looks like a lot of fun.

Seeing those too and it looks to me like they haven't updated the set-up in the 10 years since I saw them for the one and only time. With the same flashing wristbands, pyrotechnics, long walkway and remote B stage; it looks like the same tour has continued for a decade. Coldplay fans must be easy pleased.