1. Originally posted by Wall

The U2 arrangement, which follows an even broader 10-year deal with Madonna, would guarantee desirable inventory for the new ticketing service, set to launch at the beginning of 2009.

Unlike Live Nation's $120 million deal with Madonna, the U2 agreement -- which is to be finalized soon -- doesn't cover distribution of recorded music or music publishing. For the same rights Live Nation is getting from U2, the promoter paid Madonna about $70 million. Terms of the U2 pact weren't disclosed. U2 extended its record contract with Vivendi SA's Universal Music Group late last year, according to people familiar with the matter, and also has a long-term publishing deal with Universal.

For U2, the arrangement represents a windfall that results ultimately from Live Nation's newly embattled position and its resulting need for loyal allies. The promoter is effectively paying the band to lock in the status quo: Live Nation or its predecessors have produced and promoted every world-wide U2 tour since 1997, and a Live Nation subsidiary already manages the band's Web site and fan club.

Live Nation Chairman Michael Cohl said he considers Ticketmaster "already our competition." He added that long-term artist relationships are one of two keys to the company's ability to compete effectively with its rival; the other key, he said, is building up infrastructure like venues and subsidiaries that can execute merchandise deals.

In preparing for this kind of battle, Mr. Cohl said, "one of the things you do is start to position yourself in terms of the hardware, and you try to position yourself in terms of the content. We're trying to line up as much of both as we consider meaningful and beneficial."

Live Nation's stock closed Friday at $11.83 in 4 p.m. composite trading on the New York Stock Exchange, sliding 10 cents and coming in at nearly half its closing price of $23.36 on Oct. 10, the day before the Madonna deal became known.

Formed in Dublin in 1976, U2 remains one of the most potent live draws in the world. Its most recent tour was the second-highest-grossing concert tour in history, earning $389.4 million at the box office, according to data from Billboard magazine. The Rolling Stones' 2005-07 "Bigger Bang" tour took in $558.3 million. Live Nation promoted both. U2's record sales haven't held up quite as well; 2004's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" wasn't among the 10 best-selling albums in the U.S. that year.

The deal may also offer ways for U2 to address problems that arose on its last tour. The band offered members of its online fan club, who paid $40 apiece to join, early access to tickets. But during the so-called fan-club presales, many would-be buyers encountered frustrating waits and a limited, expensive inventory comprising some of the worst seats in the house.

Ticketmaster had a hand in the presale fiascoes, inasmuch as its infrastructure couldn't handle the surge of ticket requests that flooded its computers. But people involved say the bigger problem was that there were simply too many members in the club to provide them all premium seats.

"We feel we've got a great Web site," U2 lead singer Bono said in a statement. "But we want to make it a lot better." U2.com is already hosted by Signatures Network, one of several merchandising companies recently acquired by Live Nation; they are being merged into one unit.

While Live Nation has been snapping up artists along with companies that provide them services, No. 2 concert promoter AEG Live has been seeking to make strategic moves of its own. Earlier this month talks stalled in a deal for Ticketmaster and Cablevision Corp. to take a 49% stake in the promoter, which is owned by Anschutz Corp.

IAC and Dow Jones & Co., publisher of The Wall Street Journal, together operate a personal-finance Web site.
  2. I personally do not like ticketmaster and U2.COM sucks ass so I give it the thumbs up.
  3. Originally posted by germcevoyI personally do not like ticketmaster and U2.COM sucks ass so I give it the thumbs up.

well,
    Ticketmaster has worked for me so far... no big problems...
    as for U2.com, agreed!!! It really needs to change...
    so, thumbs up from me too!!
  4. Same as Johnny - never had any trouble with Ticketmaster but have with U2.com - I never did receive my official U2.com membership card.

So I'm quite happy with it
  5. "We feel we've got a great Web site," U2 lead singer Bono said in a statement. "But we want to make it a lot better."

He obviously doesn't visit it too often then.
  6. Originally posted by djrlewisSame as Johnny - never had any trouble with Ticketmaster but have with U2.com - I never did receive my official U2.com membership card.

So I'm quite happy with it

Well, when the next tour comes round, feel free to blag me one and I would pay you back lol
  7. I heard on the radio that this was a 12 year deal. Anyone else hear that? What does that mean, that we can expect tours for the next 12 years!?
  8. Originally posted by Yahoo!U2 sign long-term deal with Live Nation
    Enlarge image

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Irish supergroup U2 have become the latest act to sign a long-term deal with US concert promoters Live Nation after inking a 12-year agreement, it was announced Monday.

A statement released by Live Nation said the promoters would oversee the band's touring, merchandising and development of their website. The deal does not affect U2's existing recording partnership with Universal Music.

Last year Live Nation scored a notable coup after clinching a 10-year 120 million dollar deal with Madonna that saw the company win the right to make three studio albums, as well as promote concert tours and merchandise.

"We've been dating for over 20 years now and it's about time we tied the knot, U2's charismatic lead singer Bono said in a statement, saying the deal would bring fans closer to the band through a revamped website.

"We feel we've got a great website but we want to make it a lot better. We want a closer, more direct relationship between the band and its audience and Live Nation has pledged to help us with that."

U2 are one of the most successful bands in history, their albums having won more than 20 Grammys and sold more than 140 million copies worldwide.

Thats a little article i read, so yep Jeremy i heard it was a 12 year stint too
    I like the idea of bringing the audience closer to the band YAH!
    sounds very promising!
  9. Sine LiveNation produced and promoted every U2 tour since 1997 and a subsidiary already manages U2.com and the fanclub I don't expect a major change...
  10. Originally posted by drewhiggins"We feel we've got a great Web site," U2 lead singer Bono said in a statement. "But we want to make it a lot better."

He obviously doesn't visit it too often then.

If u2.com is a great site then Derby County are gonna win EPL this season
  11. Originally posted by haytrainI heard on the radio that this was a 12 year deal. Anyone else hear that? What does that mean, that we can expect tours for the next 12 years!?

Yep, exactly...so another 12 years of U2 live...great deal, I'd say
  12. Originally posted by haytrainI heard on the radio that this was a 12 year deal. Anyone else hear that? What does that mean, that we can expect tours for the next 12 years!?

that some great f*** news!!! at least 3 tours
    some change for there new fans !!
    and end up like the rolling stones this is our last tour... uhuh NOT!