1. Originally posted by djrlewisThis is a rare photo of the mysterious, shy, reticent, committed solely to his art, famously anti-commerce, punk rock guy known as bono. hair today, more or less hair tomorrow. poor bono's hair. seriously.

[image]

The view from The Clarence:- [image]

(This may change...)

AWWWWESOME
    R.I.P. Bono's hair.
  2. Originally posted by haytrain[..]

I need to go to Dublin....

for sure...
  3. Originally posted by @U2.comU2: Give us what we're looking for

Band to close failing hotel if plans to redevelop it are refused.

The Mirror, April 17, 2008

By Eoin Reynolds

Bono and the Edge yesterday warned the band's historic Dublin hotel could close if a pounds 150million redevelopment is blocked.

Heritage groups yesterday began an appeal against U2's plans for the famous Clarence on the banks of the Liffey.

As he went into the hearing, guitarist the Edge warned the building's future is under threat.

He said: "The main reason why we have applied for this development is to preserve the hotel into the future and obviously financially.

"It's not doing as well as it could and we feel this is the only way to ensure it remains on this site."

It is thought the business has lost @12million in the last 10 years and its owners, who include the two U2 stars, want a complete revamp of the site.

They want to demolish the 44-bedroomed Georgian building and transform it into a nine-storey, 141-bedroom, five-star hotel and spa complete with signature restaurant, bar and fresh food market.

They claim their futuristic design would put the finished structure among the top 10 hotels in the world.

Originally built as a hotel in 1852, it was a well-known haunt of country people and parish priests visiting Dublin until it was taken over in 1992 by the U2 duo. Since then it has become a hit with some of the biggest names in the worlds of politics and showbiz including former U.S. President Bill Clinton and supermodels Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington and Kate Moss.

However, the building is a listed structure and heritage groups said the new design is out of keeping with its history.

Exceptional circumstances are required to demolish a protected structure and the Department of the Environment has said a design of outstanding merit does not qualify.

But the Edge hit back saying the hotel will become dormant if heritage groups get their way.

He added: "Conservation for conservation sake doesn't make sense. It's something that's not being used.

"It's lying dormant like a missing tooth in the smile of the Liffey frontage. We want to reconstitute it and bring life back to the city."

He insisted the current plan is the only one in town and if it gets the thumbs down the Clarence could lie idle for years.

Dublin City Council has already granted permission but heritage groups including An Taisce appealed that decision.

An Taisce points out the Liffey is a special conservation area and say this design would be more suited to the Docklands.

But the design team said the ambition is to make the Clarence one of the top 10 hotels in the world.

The hearing is expected to last at least two days.

© The Mirror, 2008.

More on the Clarence
  4. Originally posted by djrlewis[..]

More on the Clarence

it doesn't stop. It's a fucking hole. Knock down the lot and out up some fancy shit
  5. Originally posted by gerryhickeyI seen larry and edge arrive at the studio last thursday (got a thumbs up off edge) and my mate spotted bono drinking coffee on on a bench near h.q. this morning , was just sitting there chillin' like a villian , . The band normally arrives at the studio at 2.00p.m.

oh to live in Dublin...
  6. Originally posted by AllBecauseOfU2:[..]

Excellent find Dan, thanks! Hopefully it will be released in regular theaters (if not straight to DVD) fairly soon after the dates listed.

7. Originally posted by djrlewis:Ok, so I wanted to post this here, and couldn't find a suitable topic in my searches. Hopefully this can be a place where we can collate and discuss anything pertaining to U2 in the press / media rather than starting a new topic for each new story. (Unless it's a new album / tour etc lol....)

Edge discusses plans for The Clarence Hotel

Link to RTE news video HERE

[..]

I know where I'll stay when I go to Dublin lol
  8. Misread it all...wrong post