1. Bump.

Just finished The House of Silk by Antony Horowitz and 11/22/63 by Stephen King. The latter is about a time traveller who is trying to stop Oswald. The House of Silk is a very nice Sherlock Holmes novel about some kind of conspiracy.

Both highly recommended.
  2. Have read both recently. Both 3/5 for me.

Anybody into audiobooks? I'm addicted to audible.
  3. i'm absolutely for the old dear books in paper to put on shelves
  4. I still have a bit of that in me but I can consume way more books via audio than in paper. im averaging 3 books a month consistently whereas with paper I was only doing 3 or 4 every 3 months on a staggered basis.
  5. from this pointview you are generally right, same for music in digital (mp3 and so on) it's easier to "consume" more; but it wouldn't work for me, i would be inclined to be too much distracted by other things and lose something along the way

6. I had The House of Silk read to me while I read the ebook on my iPad. I used to listen to books on my way to school when I had to finish them before a deadline.
  7. Bump - as if this topic hasn't seen life for 4 years! Fixing that straight away.

The last few years have been a real return to the bookworm trail for me, living in my patch of quiet SW London since 2013.

For one, I rediscovered the joys of Terry Pratchett and collected virtually the entire Discworld series - if you've got a penchant for irreverant mash-ups of fantasy, steampunk, sci-fi, and philosophy, definitely give his work a go. Even if you haven't, still definitely give his work a go. I won't give heed to any other responses on the subject

Otherwise, I similarly got myself back into classic science fiction. Currently reading Arthur C. Clarke's 'The Songs of Distant Earth' - not even finished it yet and yet it's far and away one of my favourite books. Trying to get into Ursula le Guin's work but thus far have found 'The Left Hand of Darkness' quite hard going. Otherwise, remembered how much I love John Wyndham's - Day of the Triffids, The Chrysalids, The Kraken Wakes, all wonderful books. I've always loved how the best authors (and indeed film-makers etc., in my eyes) use the conventions of sci-fi and the ability to create new eras, worlds etc. to create a lense for us to critique and analyse our own world today (or at the time of their writing).

Anyway, I definitely think this thread needs some TLC - let's get to work, team!
  8. Originally posted by WojBhoy:Bump - as if this topic hasn't seen life for 4 years! Fixing that straight away.

The last few years have been a real return to the bookworm trail for me, living in my patch of quiet SW London since 2013.

For one, I rediscovered the joys of Terry Pratchett and collected virtually the entire Discworld series - if you've got a penchant for irreverant mash-ups of fantasy, steampunk, sci-fi, and philosophy, definitely give his work a go. Even if you haven't, still definitely give his work a go. I won't give heed to any other responses on the subject

Otherwise, I similarly got myself back into classic science fiction. Currently reading Arthur C. Clarke's 'The Songs of Distant Earth' - not even finished it yet and yet it's far and away one of my favourite books. Trying to get into Ursula le Guin's work but thus far have found 'The Left Hand of Darkness' quite hard going. Otherwise, remembered how much I love John Wyndham's - Day of the Triffids, The Chrysalids, The Kraken Wakes, all wonderful books. I've always loved how the best authors (and indeed film-makers etc., in my eyes) use the conventions of sci-fi and the ability to create new eras, worlds etc. to create a lense for us to critique and analyse our own world today (or at the time of their writing).

Anyway, I definitely think this thread needs some TLC - let's get to work, team!
    Hopefully it gains more traction than Album of the Week!
  9. Originally posted by WojBhoy:Bump - as if this topic hasn't seen life for 4 years! Fixing that straight away.

Terry Pratchett is (was )good Read probably everything from Discworld series...
    Ursula Le Guin - just read books from Earthsea series which is pretty good.
    I also loved Eddings' Elenium or Belgariad series, Sapkowski - Witcher and Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth...
    (I prefer more fantasy than sci-fi)