1. Originally posted by zooropa93:I agree with 4th of July actually... I take it he’s heard October, look forward to the review on that one. What do you like better Jimmymac- Sounds of Innocence or Sounds of Experience?

Experience by far...not really a contest. Have yet to hear October but am a little scared.
  2. You're in for a treat if you don't like TUF, hahaha
  3. October is quite solid in comparison. Have to disagree with that favourable review of Elvis Presley and America though. What an awful track.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I take it you're a rather new fan. If you don't mind me asking: which Unforgettable Fire songs did you know beforehand, before picking the album up and writing this review?

Not a newer fan per se...they've always hovered around my favourites, but never took the time to get to know the entire catalogue, and for some reason missed sections of said catalogue. JT, AB and Atomic Bomb I know inside and out and experienced them when they were released. I've seen them live three times...JT 87, Vertigo 2005 and JT 2017. I will be going to Montreal next month to see both shows. Anyways I got bit by the vinyl bug around Christmas time and went stupid and bought a quality turntable and sound system. Three weeks ago I bought SOE on vinyl, after definitely liking it via Apple. On my hi-fi it absolutely blew me away on vinyl, and it felt like listening to JT all over again for the first time. I was immediately hooked. Got GA's for both Montreal shows immediately, then found this place and it's all I have pretty much listened to for a month straight. So I'm catching up buying the vinyl for the entire catalogue. Short of No Line, Boy and October I've picked it all up on vinyl. The best part of it all is that other than the hits, it is all new to me. And I get that sometimes you have to hear stuff more than once, but I knew the first time I heard No Line, I knew within 30 seconds that this is what all opening songs should sound like, this one on UF was not that song. So the reason I'm basically writing these reviews is for myself, so I know what songs I want to listen to over and over again, and which ones I don't.

And in the most long winded answer ever, I knew Pride, 40 and UF from this album, and I'm pretty sure everything else was me hearing them for the first time ever yesterday afternoon.
  5. Originally posted by iTim:October is quite solid in comparison. Have to disagree with that favourable review of Elvis Presley and America though. What an awful track.
    I gave it two stars (out of 5), it was far from favourable
  6. Tbh I don’t rate TUF too highly as a whole. It’s quite frustrating really because the highlights are as good as they get TUF, Bad and pride are 3 massive songs, wire, ASOH and promenade I think all offer something too but Elvis Presley and America is bottom 5 u2 for me, 4th Of July isn’t much better and Indian summer sky is a bit meh too. MLK for me isn’t a great stand alone song either but in the live environment it can be used very effectively to segue into something.
  7. Still a top album for me.
    Listen more than once and it will grow on you.
    4 ou of 5
  8. Originally posted by JimmyMac91:[..]

Not a newer fan per se...they've always hovered around my favourites, but never took the time to get to know the entire catalogue, and for some reason missed sections of said catalogue. JT, AB and Atomic Bomb I know inside and out and experienced them when they were released. I've seen them live three times...JT 87, Vertigo 2005 and JT 2017. I will be going to Montreal next month to see both shows. Anyways I got bit by the vinyl bug around Christmas time and went stupid and bought a quality turntable and sound system. Three weeks ago I bought SOE on vinyl, after definitely liking it via Apple. On my hi-fi it absolutely blew me away on vinyl, and it felt like listening to JT all over again for the first time. I was immediately hooked. Got GA's for both Montreal shows immediately, then found this place and it's all I have pretty much listened to for a month straight. So I'm catching up buying the vinyl for the entire catalogue. Short of No Line, Boy and October I've picked it all up on vinyl. The best part of it all is that other than the hits, it is all new to me. And I get that sometimes you have to hear stuff more than once, but I knew the first time I heard No Line, I knew within 30 seconds that this is what all opening songs should sound like, this one on UF was not that song. So the reason I'm basically writing these reviews is for myself, so I know what songs I want to listen to over and over again, and which ones I don't.

And in the most long winded answer ever, I knew Pride, 40 and UF from this album, and I'm pretty sure everything else was me hearing them for the first time ever yesterday afternoon.

listening to an old album without the nostalgia factor... good for you.

Still think this is their best album and that Elvis And America is one of their best tracks ever despite what iTim says
    Give it a few more listenings mate, Promenade, TUF and Bad are some of their best.

But I agree to an extent about Sort of Homecoming... there's 14 albums, I think ASOH is a better opener only than The Miracle. I don't dislike the song, I've been appreciating it a lot more in the last few months, but it still sounds to me like every band member was playing the song without listening to one another.

Anyway, I really think that if U2 released TUF this year for the first time, it would get similar reviews than Jimmy's. Also, that's why I do believe that SOI and SOE (or any post-2000 album) are better than many people tend to think.

---
    also, 40 is from War, not TUF