1. I Love all of the songs on this album, except 4th of July and Elvis Presley and America

Brilliant Album
  2. the thing that puts me off this album is the sound quality, i can't wait for the remaster of this
  3. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

True, but I prefer a good song collection, as i rarely have time to properly listen to an entire album. So the strength of individual songs are more important.

However the best albums have both traits, eg. AB.

The atmosphere is unique -- one can hear U2 defining themselves. There are great songs too: Bad, Pride, Wire, Indian Summer Sky, A sort of homecoming, Promenade -- and the title track, one of the best U2 songs ever, at least for me.

4. How does the sound quality put you off? Behind Boy and Zooropa it is the best I heard.
  5. Originally posted by digitize:What is it about this album that is so amazing? Perhaps it is the fact that it brings out the strong Irish(-American) pride in me. Regardless, it is currently tied with Achtung for the honor of 'best U2 album' in my book. Hell, I even like Indian Summer Sky and EPAA. It might not be the strongest song-for-song, but, like Joshua Tree or Pop, its real strength comes from what it is as a whole.

It's a 'Musical Journey', The Unforgettable Fire (album). It's like a Magical Mystery Tour - and by that, I do not necessarily mean the Beatles album.

Yes, "Elvis Presley And America" or "4th of July" might not be gems as singles or whatever... but the album as a whole is everything an album should be. There are peaks and valleys. There is light and shade. There are foggy guitars and icy notes.

Larry, with Lanois' help and encouragement, shines on this album. Listen to the drum pattern on "A Sort of Homecoming" and "Pride" if you don't believe me. Listen to the use of brushes on "Promenade" (Inspired by Pete De Frietas of Echo And The Bunnymen who'd used brushes on most if not all of EATB's "Ocean Rain" album).

And there is The Edge, The Edge, The Edge... with Lanois and Eno it was the beginning of The Edge using his orchestral 'shimmer'. So much there showing the Edge go from The Edge-Post Punk guitarist who likes delay to "The Edge Orchestra" (tm)

A sports team isn't their star player or two (Ya hear that Kobe Bryant!). A band isn't one member or two. (The Beatles wrote better songs and albums together than they wrote solo. (Sure there is good solo work but there was great BAND work). They are the sum of their parts. The same is the truth with an album. How does it work as a collective document? And The Unforgettable Fire - as a collective document - as an album - as an artistic statement - as a show of band growth and strength - is fantastic.

For me, I say it's one of their best. I would put it in the top 5 for sure. But more than rating it or talking about it... I love just listening to it.
  6. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979:It's a 'Musical Journey', The Unforgettable Fire (album). It's like a Magical Mystery Tour - and by that, I do not necessarily mean the Beatles album.

Yes, "Elvis Presley And America" or "4th of July" might not be gems as singles or whatever... but the album as a whole is everything an album should be. There are peaks and valleys. There is light and shade. There are foggy guitars and icy notes.

Larry, with Lanois' help and encouragement, shines on this album. Listen to the drum pattern on "A Sort of Homecoming" and "Pride" if you don't believe me. Listen to the use of brushes on "Promenade" (Inspired by Pete De Frietas of Echo And The Bunnymen who'd used brushes on most if not all of EATB's "Ocean Rain" album).

And there is The Edge, The Edge, The Edge... with Lanois and Eno it was the beginning of The Edge using his orchestral 'shimmer'. So much there showing the Edge go from The Edge-Post Punk guitarist who likes delay to "The Edge Orchestra" (tm)

A sports team isn't their star player or two (Ya hear that Kobe Bryant!). A band isn't one member or two. (The Beatles wrote better songs and albums together than they wrote solo. (Sure there is good solo work but there was great BAND work). They are the sum of their parts. The same is the truth with an album. How does it work as a collective document? And The Unforgettable Fire - as a collective document - as an album - as an artistic statement - as a show of band growth and strength - is fantastic.

For me, I say it's one of their best. I would put it in the top 5 for sure. But more than rating it or talking about it... I love just listening to it.
    Nice, impressive review you got there, Jeff. Even though I simply can't appreciate songs as Promenade or Elvis, I CAN appreciate such opinions
  7. I like the album, but m'afraid to say it's my least favourite of theirs.

well, October might be a tad less good, idk.
  8. 19 years.....19 years...and it's back

Lovetown Tour
    · 1989-09-22 - Perth, Western Australia - Entertainment Centre
    · 1989-09-28 - Sydney, New South Wales - Entertainment Centre
    · 1989-10-02 - Brisbane, Queensland - Entertainment Centre
    · 1989-10-07 - Melbourne, Victoria - National Tennis Centre
    · 1989-10-12 - Melbourne, Victoria - National Tennis Centre
    · 1989-10-14 - Melbourne, Victoria - National Tennis Centre
    · 1989-10-20 - Sydney, New South Wales - Entertainment Centre
    · 1989-10-27 - Adelaide, South Australia - Memorial Drive Stadium
    · 1989-11-17 - Sydney, New South Wales - Entertainment Centre
    · 1989-11-23 - Yokohama, Japan - Sports Arena
    · 1989-11-29 - Osaka, Japan - Osaka Castle Hall
    · 1989-12-11 - Paris, France - Palais Omnisports De Bercy
    · 1989-12-14 - Dortmund, Germany - Westfalenhalle
    · 1989-12-18 - Amsterdam, Netherlands - Rai Europa Hal
    · 1989-12-27 - Dublin, Ireland - Point Depot
    · 1990-01-06 - Rotterdam, Netherlands - Sportpaleis Ahoy

360° Tour
    · 2009-06-30 - Barcelona, Spain - Camp Nou

9. I really hope Bono brings back the famous words 'Some fires you can't put out... this is The Unforgettable Fire' or 'Welcome, to the Unforgettable Fire'.
  10. Grow some balls Bono. No attempt and the big hitting notes
  11. Can someone pls point me to the 360 bootleg that sounds the most like the older versions?

Thanks in advance!

12. None

(of which I've heard, of course... maybe someone has got a decent answer, I sadly don't)