1. I think of all their re-issues PoP has the best chance to surprise us all!!

Dont forget they re-worked IGWSHA , GONE, DISCOTHEQUE, STARING AT THE SUN, PLEASE and performed a wicked stripped back live arrangement of IF YOU WEAR THAT VELVET DRESS ( that’s half the album there alone ) with the sound they obviously wanted on the final album but as we now know they ran out of time due to a locked in World Tour to finish the album properly.

I think the opportunity that would arise from an ‘anniversary’ release enabling the band to release PoP now as they had intended by replacing the re-worked tracks i mention above with their original album namesakes would be very appealing to the band!
  2. Originally posted by DanialGowans:I think of all their re-issues PoP has the best chance to surprise us all!!

Dont forget they re-worked IGWSHA , GONE, DISCOTHEQUE, STARING AT THE SUN, PLEASE and performed a wicked stripped back live arrangement of IF YOU WEAR THAT VELVET DRESS ( that’s half the album there alone ) with the sound they obviously wanted on the final album but as we now know they ran out of time due to a locked in World Tour to finish the album properly.

I think the opportunity that would arise from an ‘anniversary’ release enabling the band to release PoP now as they had intended by replacing the re-worked tracks i mention above with their original album namesakes would be very appealing to the band!
    They also reworked "Last night on earth" I don't think a lot of fans thought the reworked versions were better infact a lot of them were worse apart from Please which sounded more complete with a cracking guitar solo ,however as you say it could be a chance for them put out the album they intended by doing some repair work in the studio which would make it a much more attractive purchase for fans.
  3. The single version of IGWSHA is far better than the album version...
  4. Really? From past discussions here through the years I think there is some consensus that the single version of Please and (at least some of) the "New Mixes" from the Best Of 90-00 compilation are superior to the album versions. I might be wrong though.
  5. The remixes of Gone and Staring at the Sun are much better than the album versions. As mentioned above, the single versions of Discotheque, If God Would Send His Angels, and Please are much better than the album versions too. I have always thought Holy Joe has got to be on Pop somewhere. Here is my reworked track list:

Discotheque
    Do You Feel Loved
    Mofo
    Last Night on Earth
    Miami
    Staring at the Sun
    Gone
    If God Would Send His Angels
    Holy Joe
    The Playboy Mansion
    If You Wear That Velvet Dress
    Please
    Wake Up Dead Man
  6. I think the single version of please is better but that’s probably the only one I prefer over the album. Staring at the sun I prefer the album version, gone I prefer the album version, then discotheque, last night on Earth and if god will send his angels I have no preference between album and reworked version. I’m glad to have the jools Holland version of velvet dress which is a nice alternative way to listen to the song but again I probably like it about the same as the album version just different styles. Saying all that the reworks on the whole aren’t too much better or worse than the album, the only things I could see them doing to sort of complete the reworkings would be to do a stripped back version of wake up dead man like they did live and do a mix of mofo more like the live shows. I wouldn’t really see much benefit in doing anything with the other 3 do you feel loved is good as it is on the album Miami and playboy mansion I don’t think are good songs for a start and they probably got what they could out of them. That would still make for a very good 9 song album of different versions then as mentioned above they maybe could add holy joe or north and south of the river or both to complete an albums worth, slow dancing as well is an option.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Really? From past discussions here through the years I think there is some consensus that the single version of Please and (at least some of) the "New Mixes" from the Best Of 90-00 compilation are superior to the album versions. I might be wrong though.
    TBH I haven't listened to them in a while however I do remember not liking the reworked versions of Discoteque, Gone and Last night on earth as they seem to strip them down too much which didn't improve them IMO.
  8. the album stands as it is - don't like all this remastering and remixing stuff even though I understand that they had to 'rush' the recording of the album - it should still stand as a testament to that time and as a rarity in that it wasn't polished to blandness or over-mixed

the haphazard recording and raw mixing is what makes this a classic and what gives this album its own story

can we have POP 2 please (no pun intended)
  9. I would love U2 doing a POP 2 in this day & age.

Unrelated, but I don't have the single versions of If God Will Send His Angels and Last Night on Earth (this one isn't even to be found anywhere on youtube!).

I can't seem to find them anywhere purchasable on internet. Amazon Music has the Angels single, but says it's not available for purchase in my country.

Anyone has a link to where the ycan be found ??
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Really? From past discussions here through the years I think there is some consensus that the single version of Please and (at least some of) the "New Mixes" from the Best Of 90-00 compilation are superior to the album versions. I might be wrong though.
    Gone on Best Of is ok, but Discothèque and Staring At The Sun are no improvements at all. There was nothing wrong with the album versions in the first place. Discothèque is just perfect, Staring At The Sun maybe feels like it has a bit more potential, but together with the live version I think it's still a big song in the U2 catalogue. No need for those silly improvement attempts. I just skip them on the Best Of cd, I never skip anything on Pop except for Miami occasionally. Numb is the only new mix on Best Of that really makes sense.
  11. I actually like the best of version of Discotheque as much as the album version.