1. I love Stephane’s commentary on the Discotheque video

2. Happy bday POP
  3. ah POP - i think they should have named it marmite the way it divides the fan base

i was really nervous after hearing discotheque but fuck me it blew me away

dark, unpolished, self-deprecating, loud, cool, experimental, troubled - just like my favourite movies
  4. Discotheque is the oddest one, since that has pretty much the backing track (or at least the beat) of The Stone Roses' Begging You (and it's not credited). I once did a mashup of the 2 and tempo's were identical, could just let Reni drum with Edge and Adam
  5. if POP has one flaw then it's the experience the band had with its reception and the american concert-goer - that experience made them rethink whether their self-deprecation, as i've previously pointed at, maybe came across as the band making fun of 'U2' and their own music (even snippeting the Pet Shop Boys cover of Streets within Streets, which the PSBs version itself being a poke at stadium rock pomposity) and whether their piss-taking was seen as laughing at their own fan base

i think ticket sales were actually pretty decent on a 'whole tour basis' but i feel the band maybe thought they had took a step too far with this 'irony' and if AB was the sound of 4 men chopping down the Joshua Tree then POP was the sound of 4 men having a piss on it
  6. That album is so modern, what an injustice they did to poor pop :/
  7. I think there’s only 2 flaws with pop, #1 there’s too many songs on it as they could have left out playboy mansion and Miami even to save as b sides and the album would be stronger. #2 a couple and for me only a couple of the songs could be stronger given more time, please and mofo which was proven by the new single edit of please and the live version of mofo.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:I think there’s only 2 flaws with pop, #1 there’s too many songs on it as they could have left out playboy mansion and Miami even to save as b sides and the album would be stronger. #2 a couple and for me only a couple of the songs could be stronger given more time, please and mofo which was proven by the new single edit of please and the live version of mofo.
    Spot on
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:I think there’s only 2 flaws with pop, #1 there’s too many songs on it as they could have left out playboy mansion and Miami even to save as b sides and the album would be stronger. #2 a couple and for me only a couple of the songs could be stronger given more time, please and mofo which was proven by the new single edit of please and the live version of mofo.
    Not to mention the Gone (New Mix)!

I do love the more "raw" versions of the songs (I don't like how they cut/sped up a verse in the live version in Mofo), but it's funny how most fans can agree that in these examples, the further-along versions are better - whereas most of the time, the same fans complain that U2 overbake their albums

But yeah - the guitar part that Edge added in the outro of the live version (it might be there in the album version but just super low in the mix?) is just out of this world.

"Ahead of its time" is a descriptor thrown around all too often, but I really feel as though it rings true for Pop. If U2 put out Pop right now - it'd blow people away, and I truly believe that.
  10. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Not to mention the Gone (New Mix)!

I do love the more "raw" versions of the songs (I don't like how they cut/sped up a verse in the live version in Mofo), but it's funny how most fans can agree that in these examples, the further-along versions are better - whereas most of the time, the same fans complain that U2 overbake their albums

But yeah - the guitar part that Edge added in the outro of the live version (it might be there in the album version but just super low in the mix?) is just out of this world.

"Ahead of its time" is a descriptor thrown around all too often, but I really feel as though it rings true for Pop. If U2 put out Pop right now - it'd blow people away, and I truly believe that.
    what Mofo verse did they speed up live? (sorry, dont have tracks handy at the moment to compare)