1. Originally posted by Peterrrrr:[..]
    To me I can't stand TTYW and Exit on JT.
    RTSS only get ms intressting in the end of the song.
    RHMT is to me a Eurovision track, the only intressting thing with that track is the vocals.
    You make some valid points,and being a fan of electronica of course you're gonna love Pop,I'm a lover of heavier music so I would prefer guitar heavy songs,I disagree about the finger up to the mainstream I always thought it was the opposite,during Zoo TV Bono often moaned about everyone being into dance music yet here he is a few years later "embracing" it i.e trying to gain relevance and it backfired as far as U2's popularity was concerned.
    Like I've said many times before I don't hate Pop just far down on my fav albums by them.
    However suggesting those Pop songs are better than JT is just mental!
  2. If POP came out today with a modern production it be a hit because of way music is today. It came out when alternative and hip hop music was huge. Pop fits today’s market just sounds outdated of course.
  3. Ever since Boy was released, they had been evolving, with each following album sounding fresher and bolder.
    I've always considered their 80's albums as pairs, maybe because they were released within a year: October is an upgrade of Boy, then War/UF followed by JT/R&H.
    In the 90's they needed a change, surprised everyone with AB (what I consider the best musical album of all times), continued having fun with Zooropa (it won a Grammy for best alternative music performance) and released Pop, what I consider the last album with balls. I mean, when you sell out stadiums and then you release songs like Mofo or Miami and even play them live, you have to have balls. They believed in their album and didn't care if some of their older fans would be disappointed.

I'm glad they had their 90's era which culminated in Pop. I was 17 when it was released and didn't understand it at first but that soon changed when I saw the brilliance of it, later also live at my first U2 concert. The live production was huge, they also visited Sarajevo and a lot of "exotic" cities (lately they only go to their usualy (economically safe) western locations).

Most of us will probably agree that Please is a masterpiece, especially the live version (SBS drum intermezzo, Bono's "native American prayer", then going into Streets). But it has o lot of great songs on it: Gone, which in my opinion talks about suicide, Discotheque with it's opening riff, Staring at the Sun (a wonderful pop song), Velvet dress (have a listen to Bono's unplugged version with The Jools Holland Orchestra) and a song that nobody mentions - Do you feel loved?

Then after Popmart they said "Let's write ourselves some more Grammies" and released ATYCLB, which sounded like something the fans expected after R&H. Ever since they've been worried about being perceived as a (guitar) rock band with singles like Elevation, Vertigo, Boots.

Nowadays you can sing Love is bigger than anthing in it's way, but when you look around the world, these verses are much more powerful:
    Love is big, is bigger than us. But love is not what you're thinking of.
  4. Do You Feel Loved is the best example of the greatness of U2 in this era
  5. I wonder how that song would have "evolved" if they had kept it in the Popmart setlist. I thought they dumped it too early, but I was happy to see its last performance. That was a weird show, but that's for another thread lol
  6. Originally posted by bonoschild:I wonder how that song would have "evolved" if they had kept it in the Popmart setlist. I thought they dumped it too early, but I was happy to see its last performance. That was a weird show, but that's for another thread lol
    Phoenix I assume? What was weird about it? I've never watched/listened to that particular show. I did recently listen to Salt Lake City, and it seems like that was the first Popmart show that went well. People seem have to have good things to say about Eugene as well, but I've never listened. I'm just very interested in the Popmart tour, because it was the first tour that took place while I was a fan, as well as my first concert ever.
  7. Yeah was PHX/Tempe.. Bono's voice wasn't the best and he seemed annoyed at times. Listen to WOWY and the end of that song, he was like, you guys can stop playing now or something like that.. also saw them in Seattle in December of 97 when he killed the microphone during One. Good times.
  8. I love Seattle 97, great show.
  9. It was.. and I loved the Edge IEM of that show. Was cool to hear things from his perspective. Was also cool to hear Bono name check Wire, the old fan group.. can't believe it's been 25 years now
  10. Yea, I only got huge into U2 in summer of 2020, though I always loved some of their songs because of my parents. It's cool hearing about the fanbase way back in say Pop era. Seeing how kinda blah it is talking about Bonos Surrender tour right now, it mustve been insane being active fan when say PopMart or Elevation was going on.
  11. It was... and I'll tell you, it was wild seeing ZooTV back in 92. My first exposure was Rattle and Hum, Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire. So seeing ZooTV was incredible. Then Popmart was another adventure. Saw three Elevation shows as well, and high-fived Edge as the band finished a set in Phoenix. Unforgettable stuff

12. great song !