1. Originally posted by kezman:At the time i was under the impression this was the beginning of the decline of U2,it seemed for the first time they were an old band trying to stay hip by going all dancey and bringing in people like Howie B to attract younger fans,of course the albums sales (for U2 standards at least) and poor concert crowds seem to only strengthen those feelings.
    I do like the album and enjoy a bit of Popmart but Bono's dancing on Mofo makes me cringe even nowadays.
    With ZOOTV they were edgy,being brave,changing the landscape and not giving a shit,with Pop it felt like they conformed.
    Imo ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour saved them,Bono himself "we're reapplying for the job of best band on the planet",looking back they clearly got the job.
    Don’t agree... at the time it was a band who were still keeping up with times and being adventurous and listening to music like Prodigy and Chem Bros as well as triphop stuff like Tricky and then producing an album that used these influences but still sounded like U2. Those pics from Miami showed U2 at their coolest, the gigs were amazing... don’t know which one you went to but the two Wembley shows I went to were packed (ok, they tried playing a few different US cities on the 3rd leg which didn’t work out but the South American, SA and OzAsia shows made up for that). For me, Elevation was poor and they were trying to hard to be relevant and it was a shame they stopped pushing the boundaries like in the 90’s.
  2. Every answer back then was basically ‘because we can’
    Why you announcing the tour in a discount shop?
    Why do you actually have a giant lemon that mostly does nothing?
    Why do you have a giant cocktail stick?
    Why do you have a mcdonalds golden arch?
    Why is Edge dressed like a cartoon cowboy?
    Why do you think you can call the theme trashy and kitsch and expect people to think it has value?

I
  3. The Thing is America didnt Get the whole Pop concept And thats Why it is being labeled as failure, while in all honesty it’s their 3rd best record and the tour and whole era was probably the best in terms of complete package design, I preferred ZooTv but still PopMart rocked and like willie said it really does look great on tv

Now can you top that stage enterance?!
  4. Originally posted by zbych:The Thing is America didnt Get the whole Pop concept And thats Why it is being labeled as failure, while in all honesty it’s their 3rd best record and the tour and whole era was probably the best in terms of complete package design, I preferred ZooTv but still PopMart rocked and like willie said it really does look great on tv

Now can you top that stage enterance?!
    I know people who say Pop and Popmart was there favourite period a lot of people who never liked them had a new found respect for them even today Mofo sounds so out there , the band were as far away from U2 as they could possibly be I reckon had the Americans bought into it they would have experimented further on the next album .
  5. Did I say I like POP?

U2's third masterpiece - think of an unfinished symphony but made the better for it.

Some troll used to post "U2 wrote Miami".

Damn straight they did!
  6. U2 wrote Wild Honey
  7. Miami is (i guess) for most people the least favourite track on the album, but it still kicks ass. Evolved from daddy’s Gonna pay... (i guess) same feel. Realy like that direction.
  8. I love that album
  9. This is a freaking brilliant article. I remember reading it 2 years back (maybe due to you posting it, lol) and completely agreeing with almost everything. Thanks for bringing it back, I've saved a PDF copy just in case it ever disappears from the net
  10. Pop is such a greatly overcooked yet raw album... It's their true last spark of brilliance, of unashamed awkwardness. Everything after it has been mild, soft, well thought, well polished. Pop is their last wild thing.