1. Not really. But you will lose tone quality. There are suggested orders for those who tests these things and they are online. Some combos sound better together.
  2. Ordering is very important
  3. I've never gotten the praise for Mick. He's a nice guy to talk to and he comes really close tone-wise but he has serious problems tempo/rhythm-wise
  4. Originally posted by TheOcean81:[..]

WOW that’s an amazing collection! That’s a fresh guitar, I love the pickguard on it! The blue herdim definitely adds to the photo, haha. What kind of stuff do you usually play? With that gear it must sound pretty good !
    I play all kinds of stuff, but don't be fooled by the gear and number of guitars - I'm still crap I don't practice enough, I kinda "settled" when I reached a certain skill point many years ago and never got to get properly good.
  5. Originally posted by MattG:PRS's play like such a breeze. Best guitar I've ever held, for how I play.

Reverends may come a close second.
    YES man, I remember your PRS. Do you still have it?
  6. I do still have it! Replaced pickups recently and she's screaming better than ever.

Guitar q's incoming as I look into a project.....

I'd like to take a really cheap strat body and customize it into an Edge guitar. I already know that it's not going to be perfect, so no need for "well, it'd be better if you did ______" - I already know it'd be better if I just bought the damn strat, so I'm more curious if this will get me close.

The body that seems to be best to me is actually a limited release off the Squier line at only $199. I don't mind the action and for some reason, it feels a bit heavier than most Squiers I've held. I still wish it were a touch heavier for some better resonance.

This is of course a tough buy because it barely matters what the tone sounds like, as I'm going to gut the whole thing. I'd like to put some FS1s in it but therein lies my other problem - it's a fat strat with the humbucker on the bridge. If I slot a SD Phat Cat P90 in there, will I compromise what I'm trying to do overall in getting that chiming Edge tone?

Overall I think having a humbucker in that spot contributes to the slight bit of extra weight in the bottom of the guitar. I just don't want to wholly compromise the bridge pickup since it's where I'm going to find a lot of that tone I'm seeking.

Thoughts? I think I may just do the damn thing with 2x FS1s and 1x P90 Phat Cat. Shave off the Squier logo and it'll be ready to gig
  7. Originally posted by MattG:[..]
    I do still have it! Replaced pickups recently and she's screaming better than ever.

Guitar q's incoming as I look into a project.....

I'd like to take a really cheap strat body and customize it into an Edge guitar. I already know that it's not going to be perfect, so no need for "well, it'd be better if you did ______" - I already know it'd be better if I just bought the damn strat, so I'm more curious if this will get me close.

The body that seems to be best to me is actually a limited release off the Squier line at only $199. I don't mind the action and for some reason, it feels a bit heavier than most Squiers I've held. I still wish it were a touch heavier for some better resonance.

[image]

This is of course a tough buy because it barely matters what the tone sounds like, as I'm going to gut the whole thing. I'd like to put some FS1s in it but therein lies my other problem - it's a fat strat with the humbucker on the bridge. If I slot a SD Phat Cat P90 in there, will I compromise what I'm trying to do overall in getting that chiming Edge tone?

Overall I think having a humbucker in that spot contributes to the slight bit of extra weight in the bottom of the guitar. I just don't want to wholly compromise the bridge pickup since it's where I'm going to find a lot of that tone I'm seeking.

Thoughts? I think I may just do the damn thing with 2x FS1s and 1x P90 Phat Cat. Shave off the Squier logo and it'll be ready to gig
    I totally love P90s but I don't think there's much/any Edge tone to be had from them. Having a bridge P90 will no doubt give you some extra versatility for other sounds, but if you're looking for a proper-Edge sounding (and looking!) guitar I'm afraid it might be too hard to get with that bridge pickup.

Edge doesn't play the bridge pickup that often anway, does he? I think many/most of the recognisable chimey sounds come from the neck pickup.

That all being said, as I was telling theocean81 the other day I'm NOT an Edge-tone-scholar so I might very well be wrong Do you want me to post your inquiry in the U2 Guitarists facebook group? The most U2-guitar knowledgeable people I know are there and they're always willing to help.
  8. I appreciate the gesture but I know I’m bound for an attack for trying to do this in such a Frankenstein way.

Is there a humbucker-sized pickup you could recommend that would achieve what I’m looking for?

The Squiers with the traditional single-coil pots really feel a lot cheaper to me for some reason otherwise I’d just get that.
  9. I just feel like going true humbucker removes all hope of the edge sound, whereas at least a P90 is a single coil pickup dolled up to look like a ‘bucker
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I play all kinds of stuff, but don't be fooled by the gear and number of guitars - I'm still crap I don't practice enough, I kinda "settled" when I reached a certain skill point many years ago and never got to get properly good.
    I’m sure you’re better than most on guitar - you’ve got to have a certain level of skill to know about all this tone stuff I’ve been asking you. You’ve still got a sick collection Sergio